Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Exhaust flap switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:33 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
By the way, do you get sound from downshift-blipping after 4k? The valve flaps only address until 4k as you noted. So, if there was no downshift-blip sound before, after 4k, you still wouldn't have now, after the mod, right? Thanks.
Silence before mod and very quiet after mod.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:23 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Not the way to go in my opinion. Disconnect the hoses (I could do it easily by hand with moderate force). Insert grub screw in M6 size and thread it in
with a t-handle allen wrench. Use pliers to hold the hose while doing this. The grub screw should be inserted about 20mm into the hose, so you can
completely re-attach it on the exhaust valve. Same procedure on the other side.

Benefits: Invisible, no open ends to be sealed, cheap and quick. Also easy to undo by screwing the grub back out anytime

Peter
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_GT4:
2XIPA (04-30-2020), DocMo (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 08:29 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
Not the way to go in my opinion. Disconnect the hoses (I could do it easily by hand with moderate force). Insert grub screw in M6 size and thread it in
with a t-handle allen wrench. Use pliers to hold the hose while doing this. The grub screw should be inserted about 20mm into the hose, so you can

Benefits: Invisible, no open ends to be sealed, cheap and quick. Also easy to undo by screwing the grub back out anytime

Peter
Good method.
Gook luck to any Tech in the future if this mod is forgoten about! haha

Also, what I did in the 80s to bypass power robbing emmisions plumbing.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:07 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Agreed. I’d like more sound in downshifts (I am still under 4500rpms)
Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 AM
DocMo
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4

Peter
Well done. I prefer your approach. Any pics of the grub screws used?
Old 05-01-2020, 01:30 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
Agreed. I’d like more sound in downshifts (I am still under 4500rpms)
Now, this is NOT good!! This is gonna drive me up the wall! No downshift-blip sound after 4k; and, not enough sound under 4k either! This is pretty f^&*k up!! So, fundamentally, the valve flaps are not the only ones suppressing the sound, during downshift-blipping. Not the GPF or pass-through inert filters because their effects are always present regardless of the RPM. So, even if you delete them, you are not gonna get that sound. Certainly not the exhaust. Is that engine management programming/ECU?

Last edited by spyderphile; 05-01-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:36 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Now, this is NOT good!! This is gonna drive me up the wall! No downshift-blip sound after 4k; and, not enough sound under 4k either! This is pretty f^&*k up!! So, fundamentally, the valve flaps are not the only ones suppressing the sound, during downshift-blipping. Not the GPF or pass-through inert filters because their effects are always present regardless of the RPM. So, even if you delete them, you are not gonna get that sound. Certainly not the exhaust. Is that engine management programming?
​​​​​​​
Im devastated as well. But dont worry good Rennlisters, we will solve this "problem" together. Been consulting with tuners today...
Old 05-01-2020, 03:11 AM
DocMo
Racer

Now, this is NOT good!! This is gonna drive me up the wall! No downshift-blip sound after 4k; and, not enough sound under 4k either! This is pretty f^&*k up!! So, fundamentally, the valve flaps are not the only ones suppressing the sound, during downshift-blipping. Not the GPF or pass-through inert filters because their effects are always present regardless of the RPM. So, even if you delete them, you are not gonna get that sound. Certainly not the exhaust. Is that engine management programming?
At this stage, my guess based on other cars I’ve owned with GPF is that once we we replace it by a pipe the downshifting and upshifting sounds should be back. I am confident tuners will make it happen
Old 05-01-2020, 11:05 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Im devastated as well. But dont worry good Rennlisters, we will solve this "problem" together. Been consulting with tuners today...
Counting on ya, GAZZ! Help us out! I NEED that sound! As you're a 981 GT4 driver as well, you know exactly the pain-points!!

At this stage, my guess based on other cars I’ve owned with GPF is that once we we replace it by a pipe the downshifting and upshifting sounds should be back. I am confident tuners will make it happen
Hope you're right, Doc! Guys like you and GAZZ are the pioneers to lead the way! Let's make it happen!!
Old 05-01-2020, 12:16 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

OPF is only part of the issue. The stock rear silencer is far more of a bottle neck than the OPF and due to no mixing from bank 1-2 with valves open (as per pretty much all of the aftermarket systems) the main cause of the flat and uninteresting sound.

Remember you're hearing 2x 3cyl sound rather than 1x 6cyl sound with this stock exhaust arrangement. Think of it like the exhaust sound is akin to a pair of 2.0 3cyl engines, not really what any Porsche owner is looking for.

See image below for a visual demonstration. Green flow is valves open, the gasses will always take the path of least resistance. Red is valves closed.

Removing the OPF will just accentuate the OEM exhaust note, it gets louder with the OPF removed but louder doesn't always mean better. In many cases, as with the 718 rear silencer arrangement, the sound is even more 'tractor' low frequency tone than ever.

Just a word of warning as to what to expect if you remove the OPF with factory exhaust or swap to any exhaust with no proper merge between bank 1-2 of cylinders.

Making an exhaust loud is easy. Making an exhaust add power, sound great and be quiet / loud when you want it to really isn't.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (07-09-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Fully agree with comments above from JCR.
It will be interesting to see the above system with OPF/GPF bypass pipes. Maybe crazy loud because almost totally straight through with no muffler.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:47 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Fully agree with comments above from JCR.
It will be interesting to see the above system with OPF/GPF bypass pipes. Maybe crazy loud because almost totally straight through with no muffler.
This gives a pretty good illustration too.

2017 RSR (pre LM) had the megaphones straight off the headers. So again 2x 3cyl sound, as per OEM 718 GT4 design.

2017 RSR (LM spec) gathered the tips at the centre so you hear the full 6 together. Note that this still has no merge but just graphically shows just how much difference it makes to the sound. With a merge the sound would be even more in this direction.

The latest gen RSR has side exits so even further accentuates the 2x 3cly sound track.

I'd challenge anyone to find someone who doesn't find the central exit sound the most desirable!

JC
Mcx (08-10-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 01:16 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Good analysis, with no merge it just sounds farty.
JCR-Porsche (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 06:12 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

will report back on disconnecting the vacuum lines this weekend. I am really starting to think the 981 gt4 is the better car. If you just compare price when new, $86,000 for a base car without options including delivery compared to a 718 gt4 at $100,500 without options including delivery. Now you have to add at least $5k to fix quiet exhaust. So far I am really disappointed and wished I kept my stripper 981 GT4 that I sold a few years ago due to the hype the 718 GT4 was getting a 4 liter
Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
will report back on disconnecting the vacuum lines this weekend. I am really starting to think the 981 gt4 is the better car. If you just compare price when new, $86,000 for a base car without options including delivery compared to a 718 gt4 at $100,500 without options including delivery. Now you have to add at least $5k to fix quiet exhaust. So far I am really disappointed and wished I kept my stripper 981 GT4 that I sold a few years ago due to the hype the 718 GT4 was getting a 4 liter
Yup, for what you paid, you should have picked up a used GT3 as you've lived the GT4 lifestyle. I wouldn't have ordered a 718 if I was already in a 981 GT4 I loved.

Quick Reply: Exhaust flap switch