Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Exhaust flap switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 04:23 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Deleted
this interests me as I was about to pull the trigger
Old 08-20-2020, 05:15 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
this interests me as I was about to pull the trigger
go ahead. I deleted of shame of an user error hahaha. One of the vacuum hoses for the left side valve disconnected on the T-splitter that sits on top of the transmission case. Just plugged it back in and it’s working fine.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Chiming in to say thanks to the previous posters for mentioning and helping with this mod. I just plugged the each of the valves with a couple M6 grub screws. I can’t quite tell a huge difference honestly, but I feel better now knowing the valves are open all the time.

Since this is the very first time I’ve “worked” on a Porsche it was a little a scary to just start pulling and plugging stuff. If anyone else comes across this thread and hasn’t worked on a P-car before either I thought I’d attach some extra pictures to show exactly where things were located as it wasn’t super clear to a new person like me:

I took off the wheels to do this. It’s not required, but since I didn’t know where or what I was looking for I thought it would help. I only took an additional 10 minutes to pop the tires off and on so I’d still recommend doing so for simplicity sake. Blue arrow indicates where to look for the vacuum lines:

An alternate closer view with the area circled:

Last but not least a close up of everything. Left circle is where you pull the vacuum lines off the exhaust valves, plug with a screw, then put back on. Right is the retaining clip you can undo in order to free more of the vacuum
line to work with.

The following 4 users liked this post by Rxpert:
metalone (09-08-2020), Motoss (09-26-2020), RyuBraska (09-09-2020), sobiloff (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:59 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Guys, I wired strapped the actuator arms to the open position. It takes 1 min per side. Far far easier.
Open is the default position with the engine off.
I used some 1.6mm enameled copper wire. But I see no reason why you could not use say 1mm steel wire.
To remove the mod cut the wire off which takes 10 seconds.
I can get a pic if anyone wants or does not understand...
Old 09-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Guys, I wired strapped the actuator arms to the open position. It takes 1 min per side. Far far easier.
I used some 1.6mm enameled copper wire. But I see no reason why you could not use say 1mm steel wire.
Darn too late for me, but I’m curious how you did it. Like I mentioned above, I’m a total rookie to Porsche’s so a pic would be very helpful!
Old 09-09-2020, 08:08 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Great idea! Does the actuator get hot? a good old tie wrap would melt? I have some SS ties that could work. Too late for me since I grubbed the lines last week, but a friend is waiting for a Spyder (delivery friday) so he might want to do it this way!
Old 09-09-2020, 08:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Not familiar with the schematics of the system, but wouldn't this put strain/wear on whatever is trying to move the actuator arms in the closed position?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:03 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
Not familiar with the schematics of the system, but wouldn't this put strain/wear on whatever is trying to move the actuator arms in the closed position?
No, the actuator is subject to the same vacc pressure regardless of its end position.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Wired to open position (default position with engine off).
The following 3 users liked this post by GAZZ:
GTS Drw (02-06-2022), Rxpert (09-11-2020), RyuBraska (09-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 07:55 AM
MG2020
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Does disabling the vacuum line have any impact on the warranty, backpressure, or is it literally just there for sound reduction at lower RPM.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:33 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

I did the “Metalone Mod“ with the M6 screws last evening (thanks !). Took about 10 minutes total... VERY easy.
As per metalone, here is process:

1-Lift to make your life easier. Could be done without.
2-Pull hard on the vacuum lines to unplug it (no tools required, just pull hard with hands and dont be afraid)
3-screw the M6 screws in the lines, deep enough in the line to give room to replug it (nipples are about 1/2 inch long)
4-Replug
5-Enjoy

Old 09-11-2020, 10:44 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
I did the “Metalone Mod“ with the M6 screws last evening (thanks !). Took about 10 minutes total... VERY easy.
As per metalone, here is process:

1-Lift to make your life easier. Could be done without.
2-Pull hard on the vacuum lines to unplug it (no tools required, just pull hard with hands and dont be afraid)
3-screw the M6 screws in the lines, deep enough in the line to give room to replug it (nipples are about 1/2 inch long)
4-Replug
5-Enjoy
Please report back with your impressions about the mod.

Thanks,

~Speedy
Old 09-13-2020, 06:08 AM
aurieg92
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anybody done the SOUL valve controller? ( https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-7...ontroller-kit/ ) [or the cargraphic one-- tho the SOUL one looks like a much easier install]

The SOUL valve controller should sound basically equivalent to the screw mod or wiring the valve to open ? (thanks @GAZZ )
Old 09-13-2020, 10:39 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

I did the grub screw mod to keep the valves open and took her out for a drive. It's a subtle difference but there is at least a small voice from the exhaust now below 5K. Still a bit too quiet for me, Soul race exhaust is next to try.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:13 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by aurieg92
Has anybody done the SOUL valve controller? ( https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-7...ontroller-kit/ ) [or the cargraphic one-- tho the SOUL one looks like a much easier install]

The SOUL valve controller should sound basically equivalent to the screw mod or wiring the valve to open ? (thanks @GAZZ )
The remote just allows you to control the open/close function instead of fixing it to open.
Stuck in open with the OEM exhaust is no issue as its not loud. But wanted manual control for a loud aftermarket system.
I got the Cargraphics one, but it failed. So now I have a new one to install later this week. At least their support is very good.

Quick Reply: Exhaust flap switch