Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Exhaust flap switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 04:57 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
How does one get those covers off?
No idea, but here a photo of the Lego kit if that helps :-)

Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

There are a few youtube videos showing. Just look up "access engine on 718 cayman"
Old 06-29-2020, 03:28 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Yes you can pull them with your hands they will come off easily. Also to plug back if you decide, just put them back on the nipple.
I also took a look today, there looks to be a clamp on the line which I don't see on your cars? Am I missing something? Can you also take a pic of the M6 screw you bought to plug it back up?

thanks
Old 06-29-2020, 05:18 AM
SpyderSwede
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
I also took a look today, there looks to be a clamp on the line which I don't see on your cars? Am I missing something? Can you also take a pic of the M6 screw you bought to plug it back up?

thanks

Old 06-29-2020, 11:27 AM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Super easy procedure, didn't require lift , just unplugged the lines with the hand, released a side clamp to have the end at a working reach, screwed the headless screws and inch or so, and plug again.

Don't expect a significant chance, because is very subtle . What I would highlight though is that the car feels less restricted reaching 4000rpm and that "drone" that used to listen passing the 4000rpm doesn't bother me anymore.

​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by metalone:
GT4Faby (09-29-2020), Rxpert (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

@metalone Glad to hear you didn’t need a lift to do this as mine isn’t installed in my new garage yet and won’t be for awhile

Just curious, were you able to do this with the car on the ground or did you need to jack the rear of the car up onto jack stands?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

I would not call the change subtle below 4K rpm, I fell that the change is quite significant (just my view of course)
The following users liked this post:
metalone (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:05 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by Rxpert
@metalone Glad to hear you didn’t need a lift to do this as mine isn’t installed in my new garage yet and won’t be for awhile

Just curious, were you able to do this with the car on the ground or did you need to jack the rear of the car up onto jack stands?
I've jacked it up the first time when I was looking to locate the valves... but the second time, when I went decided to unplug them I realized that I could do it with the car on the ground ... Was much easier than I thought.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by works_team
I would not call the change subtle below 4K rpm, I fell that the change is quite significant (just my view of course)
Maybe we can agree that is not a radical change , but is for the better.

By the way when I was disconnecting the hoses I noticed this.

I really don't appreciate this kind of things from Porsche... It's absolutely awesome that the GT department designed air flow ducts like this , but how they ignore this details is what really disappoint me . (Both sides are equal and the screw will end up perforing this duct a little but , nothing of importance really, but man I expect much more of German engineering and quality control)
NFSF (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
I've jacked it up the first time when I was looking to locate the valves... but the second time, when I went decided to unplug them I realized that I could do it with the car on the ground ... Was much easier than I thought.
Did you have to remove the rear wheels to see it better? Also need to zip tie the vacuum lines up.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Did you have to remove the rear wheels to see it better? Also need to zip tie the vacuum lines up.
If you're going with the M6 screw alternative there's nothing to zip tie and you don't have to take off anything. Besides unplugging there's a side clamp that is very easy to reach .

If you don't want to use de M6 then there's a bunch of things that you may want to do , starting with lifting the car to remove the under covering to then zip tie the hoses.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:43 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Just as a note I received and installed this weekend the Cargraphic exhaust valve controller. It hooks up to the solenoid electronics and you have 2 modes: one opens the valves permanently (bypass the PSE button), so they don't close between 2-4k RPM, and the second mode disables the bypass and the console PSE button works as from OEM. It's like being able to unplug the vacuum lines and plug them again with a press of a button. 370 EUR delivered in the US. Installed myself, so pretty reasonable.
I did try the unplugging of the vacuum lines first, but while the sound improved a lot, the drone in the cabin was a bit annoying at times so I welcomed the possibility of leaving the valves closed when I wanted/needed.

Now just waiting for the over axle pipes pre-ordered, removing the OPF keg and hear the magic happen.
metalone (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:32 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Just as a note I received and installed this weekend the Cargraphic exhaust valve controller. It hooks up to the solenoid electronics and you have 2 modes: one opens the valves permanently (bypass the PSE button), so they don't close between 2-4k RPM, and the second mode disables the bypass and the console PSE button works as from OEM. It's like being able to unplug the vacuum lines and plug them again with a press of a button. 370 EUR delivered in the US. Installed myself, so pretty reasonable.
I did try the unplugging of the vacuum lines first, but while the sound improved a lot, the drone in the cabin was a bit annoying at times so I welcomed the possibility of leaving the valves closed when I wanted/needed.

Now just waiting for the over axle pipes pre-ordered, removing the OPF keg and hear the magic happen.
Which over-axles are you going with?
Old 06-29-2020, 09:52 PM
metalone
Racer

Is good choice too, you had to throw cables from the battery or the modulo gets its power from the OEM Connector? . Also did you try to use the home link to clone the remote ? (If you have this option?)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:07 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Which over-axles are you going with?
I’m going with Fabspeed. Good prior experience and I guess the first out. I looked for Supersprint, quite a bit cheaper in the US. Selling for $950 or so at ECS Tuning. But back ordered until November 6... couldn’t wait that long.

Quick Reply: Exhaust flap switch