Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Quite a cool comparison of a 100% OEM 991.2 GT3 vs our 718 GT4 installed with JCR OPF Delete Pipes / JCR Titanium Silenced Valved Race Pipe

As we all know, its extremely difficult to capture the true tone and sound in a video however comparing different cars with exactly the same equipment minutes apart does give a better idea. We all know how good a GT3 sounds so this is a great insight

All being well, tomorrow whilst on track we will be able to gather direct comparisons of a 981 GT4 vs our 718 GT4 for another interesting comparison

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 3 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
blackholescion (06-30-2020), Dbridges (06-30-2020), kj71109 (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:53 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

JC, are all these parts also appropriate for the 718 GTS 4.0?

God bless,
TT
Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Quite a cool comparison of a 100% OEM 991.2 GT3 vs our 718 GT4 installed with JCR OPF Delete Pipes / JCR Titanium Silenced Valved Race Pipe

https://youtu.be/BbHse3q9XPA

As we all know, its extremely difficult to capture the true tone and sound in a video however comparing different cars with exactly the same equipment minutes apart does give a better idea. We all know how good a GT3 sounds so this is a great insight

All being well, tomorrow whilst on track we will be able to gather direct comparisons of a 981 GT4 vs our 718 GT4 for another interesting comparison

JC
Wow, they sound very, very similar to my ears. Good job on this system guys!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
JC, are all these parts also appropriate for the 718 GTS 4.0?

God bless,
TT
Yes all fully cross compatible

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Wow, they sound very, very similar to my ears. Good job on this system guys!
Thanks!!

JC
Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another great comparison we managed to capture yesterday while on track at Silverstone.

View this post on Instagram

100% OEM 718 GT4 vs JCR 718 GT4 installed with JCR OPF Delete Pipes / JCR Titanium Silenced Valved Race Pipe & Titanium Megaphone Tips

Enjoy!

JC
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Foggy916 (07-10-2020), kart125 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:32 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice comparo! This clearly shows the difference as opposed to all the other videos! Hummm... where is my credit card!!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:14 AM
GT4MF
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Another great comparison we managed to capture yesterday while on track at Silverstone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCLdZh2l..._web_copy_link

100% OEM 718 GT4 vs JCR 718 GT4 installed with JCR OPF Delete Pipes / JCR Titanium Silenced Valved Race Pipe & Titanium Megaphone Tips

Enjoy!

JC
oh. My. God. Ok I definitely wet my pants a bit.

great job - so excited! Now just have to wait for the car to arrive, ha.

JCR - have you seen Janko’s video? Is there any concerns over heating Mgmt when using OPF delete pipes?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:21 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

The second clip has louder background and tyre noise, so hard to tell how much louder it really is.

FYI, Most cameras' have microphone AGC (Automatic Gain Control), so if the first shot was subject to a loud noise before the clip, it will wind back the volume so later it has less chance to overload the mic circuitry. And conversely no noise prior will up the volume gain to max.

Other than that, sounds good!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

@JCR-Porsche OK JC, you convinced us so when are we going to see the reveal on the final version of the OPF delete pipe and it's price?

Also I would assume that the valves are open in the above video? So can we expect a little more civilized volume and sound character for cruising through town past the local authorities?
Old 07-03-2020, 11:23 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kart125
Nice comparo! This clearly shows the difference as opposed to all the other videos! Hummm... where is my credit card!!
We will share more whenever there's an opportunity We're back on track next Wednesday so more to come

Originally Posted by GT4MF
oh. My. God. Ok I definitely wet my pants a bit.

great job - so excited! Now just have to wait for the car to arrive, ha.

JCR - have you seen Janko’s video? Is there any concerns over heating Mgmt when using OPF delete pipes?
I haven't, can you steer me in the direction?

The OPF delete pipes are installed with heat insulation in OEM form. Deleting the OPF reduces EGT and back pressure however our OPF delete pipes are supplied with heatshielding installed, I feel its necessary for a number of reasons. We have tested on track thoroughly and gathered good data to support this.

Originally Posted by GAZZ
The second clip has louder background and tyre noise, so hard to tell how much louder it really is.

FYI, Most cameras' have microphone AGC (Automatic Gain Control), so if the first shot was subject to a loud noise before the clip, it will wind back the volume so later it has less chance to overload the mic circuitry. And conversely no noise prior will up the volume gain to max.

Other than that, sounds good!
It's so tricky to get a solid comparison but this is representative of what you hear in person in regards to delta between the two. This is the same recording equipment taking the same video in the same settings only a few moments apart.

There will be more and more comparisons coming but I can assure you that in person you are more likely to hear even more of a difference in overall quality of sound improvement than any video can demonstrate.

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@JCR-Porsche OK JC, you convinced us so when are we going to see the reveal on the final version of the OPF delete pipe and it's price?

Also I would assume that the valves are open in the above video? So can we expect a little more civilized volume and sound character for cruising through town past the local authorities?
Im hopeful that next week we will have all of that information available to share

Yes valves are open in the videos above, they open over 3800rpm at WOT regardless

JC
Old 07-03-2020, 12:54 PM
kj71109
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 66 Posts

JCR I need on the list!! I’ll get you insta videos like last time! OPF delete and full race pipe.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:17 PM
GT4MF
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

We will share more whenever there's an opportunity We're back on track next Wednesday so more to come

I haven't, can you steer me in the direction?

The OPF delete pipes are installed with heat insulation in OEM form. Deleting the OPF reduces EGT and back pressure however our OPF delete pipes are supplied with heatshielding installed, I feel its necessary for a number of reasons. We have tested on track thoroughly and gathered good data to support this.

It's so tricky to get a solid comparison but this is representative of what you hear in person in regards to delta between the two. This is the same recording equipment taking the same video in the same settings only a few moments apart.

There will be more and more comparisons coming but I can assure you that in person you are more likely to hear even more of a difference in overall quality of sound improvement than any video can demonstrate.

Im hopeful that next week we will have all of that information available to share

Yes valves are open in the videos above, they open over 3800rpm at WOT regardless

JC
@JCR-Porsche here you go, he discusses exhaust mods and some concerns. You may want to reach out to him:

Old 07-03-2020, 01:49 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@JCR-Porsche here you go, he discusses exhaust mods and some concerns. You may want to reach out to him:
https://youtu.be/1dhKZ9zn_Vc
His concerns regarding the valves aren't of any relevance to be honest, if the valves were that important they would be electronic valves which allows for much more finite control and also monitoring via the ECU.

He is right however about the EGT and thats one of the reasons why we will be offering our OPF delete pipes only with heat shielding included

He did reach out to ask if we would be interested to supply an exhaust, I kindly declined however I would imagine that he will be running something or other in the not too distant future.

JC
Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

https://youtu.be/1dhKZ9zn_Vc
He talks about how it switches between left and right banks when in 3 cylinder mode to keep the catalytic converters warm. That would still happen with a particulate filter delete pipe, and I don’t expect cat temperatures to change greatly with a filter delete pipe.

He also mentions how this bank switching affects particulate filter temperatures, though I’m not sure why this would matter if you’re using a filter delete pipe. For the North American models, they don’t even have active filters with coating/catalyst/monitoring, they are just sound deadeners that also increase back pressure.

It’s nice to hear the JCR over axle pipes will have heat shielding similar to stock.

On a separate note, JCR-Porsche, do you have any video clips recorded in similar conditions comparing fully stock sound to the sound with GPF delete pipes but keeping the stock muffler? This won’t be a common configuration in Europe because the filter is monitored and used for emissions control, but it sounds like the simplest exhaust mod for North America and other non-OPF markets for those who just want a little more sound than stock.
The following users liked this post:
metalone (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 02:44 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
He talks about how it switches between left and right banks when in 3 cylinder mode to keep the catalytic converters warm. That would still happen with a particulate filter delete pipe, and I don’t expect cat temperatures to change greatly with a filter delete pipe.

He also mentions how this bank switching affects particulate filter temperatures, though I’m not sure why this would matter if you’re using a filter delete pipe. For the North American models, they don’t even have active filters with coating/catalyst/monitoring, they are just sound deadeners that also increase back pressure.

It’s nice to hear the JCR over axle pipes will have heat shielding similar to stock.

On a separate note, JCR-Porsche, do you have any video clips recorded in similar conditions comparing fully stock sound to the sound with GPF delete pipes but keeping the stock muffler? This won’t be a common configuration in Europe because the filter is monitored and used for emissions control, but it sounds like the simplest exhaust mod for North America and other non-OPF markets for those who just want a little more sound than stock.
I second that ask. Would be great to have the comparison. SOUL performance does have a solo video with only the OPF delete pipes but no comparison.
The following users liked this post:
metalone (07-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point