Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 06:07 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
He talks about how it switches between left and right banks when in 3 cylinder mode to keep the catalytic converters warm. That would still happen with a particulate filter delete pipe, and I don’t expect cat temperatures to change greatly with a filter delete pipe.

He also mentions how this bank switching affects particulate filter temperatures, though I’m not sure why this would matter if you’re using a filter delete pipe. For the North American models, they don’t even have active filters with coating/catalyst/monitoring, they are just sound deadeners that also increase back pressure.

It’s nice to hear the JCR over axle pipes will have heat shielding similar to stock.

On a separate note, JCR-Porsche, do you have any video clips recorded in similar conditions comparing fully stock sound to the sound with GPF delete pipes but keeping the stock muffler? This won’t be a common configuration in Europe because the filter is monitored and used for emissions control, but it sounds like the simplest exhaust mod for North America and other non-OPF markets for those who just want a little more sound than stock.
Comparison coming, we’re back on track on Wednesday so if we get through the test programme in time I’ll shoot the stock exhaust on and test the various combinations

Originally Posted by tdlondon
I second that ask. Would be great to have the comparison. SOUL performance does have a solo video with only the OPF delete pipes but no comparison.
Will do our best

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following users liked this post:
metalone (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:38 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Thanks, JC. This seems like the definitive test: how do they sound compared to the OEM exhaust?

God bless,
TT
Old 07-04-2020, 02:34 AM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
His concerns regarding the valves aren't of any relevance to be honest, if the valves were that important they would be electronic valves which allows for much more finite control and also monitoring via the ECU.
He is right however about the EGT and thats one of the reasons why we will be offering our OPF delete pipes only with heat shielding included
He did reach out to ask if we would be interested to supply an exhaust, I kindly declined however I would imagine that he will be running something or other in the not too distant future.
JC
Agree with you with the reasoning about the valves. I don't doubt they play a role maximizing the efficiency of the emission system, but not in the performance department, or at least not when the valves are closed. This guy of Obsessed Garage took the time to record some data at the dyno, I think that his results can be extrapolated to the GT4/Spyder case. Here's the video

Offering the OPF delete with heat shielding shows above-average concern, so that is a good sign for me . Personally I pay a lot of attention in how an aftermarket followed OEM principles and carry over things related fo fitment like anti-vibration clamps, that others vendors may say that are unnecessary.. of course this applies to this heat protection/dissipation topic which already some aftermakers are saying that are a waste of time (which would make laughing the engineers at Flacht for sure).

After having bad experiences in the past with aftermarkets companies (that I prefer not to mention), Cargraphic has been the only brand to fit my demands, but now I'm looking forward to see if the JCR OPF delete package would meet this criteria as well.. I really hope so because I'm very keen of having all the reducing weight benefits of Titanium pipes, especially in a car like the 718 Spyder.

I also have the feeling that many people with no monitored OPF would go with only replacing the OPF pipes and keeping the OEM muffler, so actually would be very encouraging to pull the trigger hearing a comparison with the OEM muffler.

Cheers,
Old 07-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
Agree with you with the reasoning about the valves. I don't doubt they play a role maximizing the efficiency of the emission system, but not in the performance department, or at least not when the valves are closed. This guy of Obsessed Garage took the time to record some data at the dyno, I think that his results can be extrapolated to the GT4/Spyder case. Here's the video

Offering the OPF delete with heat shielding shows above-average concern, so that is a good sign for me . Personally I pay a lot of attention in how an aftermarket followed OEM principles and carry over things related fo fitment like anti-vibration clamps, that others vendors may say that are unnecessary.. of course this applies to this heat protection/dissipation topic which already some aftermakers are saying that are a waste of time (which would make laughing the engineers at Flacht for sure).

After having bad experiences in the past with aftermarkets companies (that I prefer not to mention), Cargraphic has been the only brand to fit my demands, but now I'm looking forward to see if the JCR OPF delete package would meet this criteria as well.. I really hope so because I'm very keen of having all the reducing weight benefits of Titanium pipes, especially in a car like the 718 Spyder.

I also have the feeling that many people with no monitored OPF would go with only replacing the OPF pipes and keeping the OEM muffler, so actually would be very encouraging to pull the trigger hearing a comparison with the OEM muffler.

Cheers,
Regarding heat dissipation, I am following this as well, all but one company (IIRC) have said that on the over axel pipe that it was not needed, but I am inclined to believe that the factory installed it there for a valid reason, dismissing it out of hand seems dangerous, maybe not in the short term as the effects and damage may take time to show but for those of us who keep our cars for more than a couple of years it is a real consideration.

I ran aftermarket OAP on my 2013 Boxster for 3 years and noted no adverse effects, but that was only a 305HP engine as opposed to 414HP, I would think that the more powerful engine produces more heat?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:42 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Regarding heat dissipation, I am following this as well, all but one company (IIRC) have said that on the over axel pipe that it was not needed, but I am inclined to believe that the factory installed it there for a valid reason, dismissing it out of hand seems dangerous, maybe not in the short term as the effects and damage may take time to show but for those of us who keep our cars for more than a couple of years it is a real consideration.

I ran aftermarket OAP on my 2013 Boxster for 3 years and noted no adverse effects, but that was only a 305HP engine as opposed to 414HP, I would think that the more powerful engine produces more heat?
On the contrary, the OPF traps and retains heat whereas a straight through pipe would not. Similarly, the OPF is a large canister that then brings the heat closer to the body.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Quite a cool comparison of a 100% OEM 991.2 GT3 vs our 718 GT4 installed with JCR OPF Delete Pipes / JCR Titanium Silenced Valved Race Pipe

https://youtu.be/BbHse3q9XPA

As we all know, its extremely difficult to capture the true tone and sound in a video however comparing different cars with exactly the same equipment minutes apart does give a better idea. We all know how good a GT3 sounds so this is a great insight

All being well, tomorrow whilst on track we will be able to gather direct comparisons of a 981 GT4 vs our 718 GT4 for another interesting comparison

JC
I look forward to hear that because your 718 clip above has that raspy sound like the 981 (from memory at least), more so than a gt3 whale. Should be a good comparison.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:59 PM
metalone
Racer

Cargraphic is offering three types of OPF Pipes, one of them looks like is empty inside, but I'll inquiry to be sure. The main advantage of this is that the fitment is exact, all the OEM brackets and supports will remain to fulfill it's purpose and most important, the OEM heat shields will remain
Link

CARGRAPHIC Otto Particulate Filter Replacement / Housing Set
- without filter insert
- witouht sensor connections
Part No. CARP82GT4OPFER

Last edited by metalone; 07-04-2020 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (07-07-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:56 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Thanks, JC. This seems like the definitive test: how do they sound compared to the OEM exhaust?

God bless,
TT
In combination with the factory rear silencer?

Originally Posted by Westcoast

It’s possible to run the pipes without heat shielding, the car will not be damaged and I don’t believe anything surrounding can get hot enough to burn / ignite under even extreme circumstances however there’s still very good reasons to do this. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see some Uturns on those decisions once we present the data

Originally Posted by blackholescion
On the contrary, the OPF traps and retains heat whereas a straight through pipe would not. Similarly, the OPF is a large canister that then brings the heat closer to the body.
This much is true however it’s easy to measure EGT at various points within the pipe with and without the OPF in place and although there’s a temperature drop the temperature is still significant enough to want to reduce that radiating into the wheel arch

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I look forward to hear that because your 718 clip above has that raspy sound like the 981 (from memory at least), more so than a gt3 whale. Should be a good comparison.
As ever, it’s extremely difficult to capture but on Wednesday we will gather much more footage that I’ll be happy to share so any specific requests please let me know

Cargraphic is offering three types of OPF Pipes, one of them looks like is empty inside, but I'll inquiry to be sure. The main advantage of this is that the fitment is exact, all the OEM brackets and supports will remain to fulfill it's purpose and most important, the OEM heat shields will remain
Link

- without filter insert
Part No. CARP82GT4OPFER
I believe this is more for the EU market where the cars need to pass visual inspection so an OEM ‘look’ is important. Saying that, still no heat insulation over axle and running that canister design without any substrate is creating its own issues rather than solving them

JC
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Croc999 (07-07-2020), Westcoast (07-05-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 11:59 PM
metalone
Racer

I believe this is more for the EU market where the cars need to pass visual inspection so an OEM ‘look’ is important. Saying that, still no heat insulation over axle and running that canister design without any substrate is creating its own issues rather than solving them

JC
Could you please elaborate on what would be the added issues of the empty canister design?.

They offer this for non-EU markets as well. The EU has a high flow OPF inside ( monitored ) and for ROW they offer one with a filter and another empty. I think that the heat insulation consist on reusing the stock wrapping as this are the same shape.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:07 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Link

- without filter insert
Part No. CARP82GT4OPFER
wow - this sounds like a great option for our EU compliant cars.
how much does it cost?
Old 07-09-2020, 11:26 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Coming soon it would seem!!

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...19&yearId=6126
Old 07-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Supersprint also publish some videos of the the product they're building...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:27 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
It's here... :/ not sure I love it though, sounds like they didn't merge the center bit like JCR and most other options. Those tips do not look good to me, it doesn't match the car / looks kind of looks too JDM.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:29 AM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by _nosubstitute_
It's here... :/ not sure I love it though, sounds like they didn't merge the center bit like JCR and most other options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ohf6eItVU
It's fake akrapovic according to some comments, and I don't see any akrapovic branding either
Old 07-12-2020, 01:32 AM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

It's fake akrapovic according to some comments, and I don't see any akrapovic branding either
That's good, as it sounds below average to say the least. Akra will charge more than anyone, so it better sound the part!

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point