Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 06:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
I have a December delivery date also with a September freeze date. I want to freeze the build in the next 10 days or so definitely do not want to wait till the last minute. Can't decide between Aventurine Green with Agate Gray leather or Gentian Blue with Graphite Blue leather, but it is fun deciding....

Personally, I'm not a fan of grey or blue leather (looks fake to me). I would pick Espresso Natural Leather for both those exterior colors, though the Aventurine Green would match it sightly better and with Aurum wheels would look killer, IMO. Plus natural leather is much softer, nicer, and more supple than the standard leathers.

The following users liked this post:
Haros (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:09 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by smilin
imho, the gear ratios shouldn’t be part of the PDK vs manual decision. get what you want. i’ve got a 981 GTS manual and the tall 2nd gear, while tall, isn’t an issue. i daily drive/weekend drive the car and never worry about it. with more power in the 4.0...i’m thinking even less of an issue. i get it...i’ve driven a manual ‘98 986 for 150k and it’s fun to need the correct gearing. the GTS is fun in a totally different way.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:10 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Have you seen the colors in real life?
Yes. in fact I was at the dealer the other day and they loaned me the color samples to juxtapose them in bright sun and shade, nothing scientific just a few shots. It seems both colors have about the same depth of shine. I think both colors are very unusual and quite striking.

Thanks for sharing those pics. Can’t go wrong with either choice!
patdonahue (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by smilin
imho, the gear ratios shouldn’t be part of the PDK vs manual decision. get what you want. i’ve got a 981 GTS manual and the tall 2nd gear, while tall, isn’t an issue. i daily drive/weekend drive the car and never worry about it. with more power in the 4.0...i’m thinking even less of an issue. i get it...i’ve driven a manual ‘98 986 for 150k and it’s fun to need the correct gearing. the GTS is fun in a totally different way.
If my DD (E46 330i ZHP) can get to 65 in second and almost 100 in third, and I'm rarely running it past ~4500 rpm on the street...hard to imagine the (lighter and far more powerful) GTS/GT4 needs shorter gearing. There are few cars out there that will allow you to rev out third gear without risking a reckless driving charge.
Alan C. (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
If my DD (E46 330i ZHP) can get to 65 in second and almost 100 in third, and I'm rarely running it past ~4500 rpm on the street...hard to imagine the (lighter and far more powerful) GTS/GT4 needs shorter gearing. There are few cars out there that will allow you to rev out third gear without risking a reckless driving charge.

Makes sense. I didn’t understand the big difference between 60 and 80 in second gear and between 100 and 120 in third. I’m not an expert in manual transmissions or gear ratios though. I just think they are fun!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:49 PM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 71 Posts

For my build, I have been hellbent on getting Chalk ever since I first saw that color a few years back. My preferred interior color was Black/Bordeaux, but the wife wasn't feeling it and to keep a happy marriage need her buy in on this car. We compromised with Black/Chalk interior with a red chronograph face and red seat belts. This will hopefully that will bring a bit of color to this grey car, but at the same time I am fearful it might look a bit odd.

For those of you still waiting, you should play with the Porsche AR Visualizer App. It is a great way to waste hours of time looking at a potential build from every direction. Here is my current build sitting on my desk at home:
Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pinkoboe
For my build, I have been hellbent on getting Chalk ever since I first saw that color a few years back. My preferred interior color was Black/Bordeaux, but the wife wasn't feeling it and to keep a happy marriage need her buy in on this car. We compromised with Black/Chalk interior with a red chronograph face and red seat belts. This will hopefully that will bring a bit of color to this grey car, but at the same time I am fearful it might look a bit odd.

For those of you still waiting, you should play with the Porsche AR Visualizer App. It is a great way to waste hours of time looking at a potential build from every direction. Here is my current build sitting on my desk at home:
I personally would stop at the red seat belts that will tie in with the red brake calipers. But I've seen tons of cars with a matching chronograph face as well. Have fun with it, that's what it's all about right?
Old 08-10-2020, 08:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Beauty is subjective, of course, but chalk (light grey) interior with chalk exterior would be too much grey in an open top roadster, IMO. And light grey leather doesn't seem to age well, in general. Better compromise would be a black interior either with deviated stitching (GTS interior package) or without.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:52 PM
The Pinkoboe
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Beauty is subjective, of course, but chalk (light grey) interior with chalk exterior would be too much grey in an open top roadster, IMO. And light grey leather doesn't seem to age well, in general. Better compromise would be a black interior either with deviated stitching (GTS interior package) or without.
The funny part is that I was looking for a used 981 for several years and was incredibly frustrated that I could not get one that was close enough to my preferred specs. I eventually gave up once the GTS 4.0 was announced and now I am overwhelmed by all the choices!

I have never owned a car with a black interior, but the GTS package with deviated stitching has me reconsidering that as well. Arrggh!
Old 08-10-2020, 09:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

The funny part is that I was looking for a used 981 for several years and was incredibly frustrated that I could not get one that was close enough to my preferred specs. I eventually gave up once the GTS 4.0 was announced and now I am overwhelmed by all the choices!

I have never owned a car with a black interior, but the GTS package with deviated stitching has me reconsidering that as well. Arrggh!
If you're into lighter interiors, how about Chalk with Espresso/Cognac (or just Espresso), brown top, and Aurum wheels? I'd have to see it in real life to confirm but I have a feeling this would look very classy and exotic:

BudgetPlan1 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 12:27 AM
bradStyle
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

If I haven't said it elsewhere in this thread, Gentian Blue with Black/Chalk interior is STUNNING in person.
The following 2 users liked this post by bradStyle:
akhbhaat (08-11-2020), sonicworld (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:52 AM
wcprice
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you all think of Night Blue exterior with Black/Bordeaux interior?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by wcprice
Night Blue exterior in general I think is too dark. It's basically black in anything except bright sunlight.
I'd rather get Gentian Blue instead.

As for interior: black/bordeaux is too much red with a blue. Red stitching / calipers work OK, but throw in the red leather and it's a bit much.

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 08-11-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:05 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Too hard to bring out the blue, and when you do you have a bit of a "superman look".

I mean Bordeaux is not too bright, but still. I think this combo can be fatiguing.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

My dad had a dark blue Aston Martin DB5 with a burgundy interior, except the dash, which was black. It was simply beautiful. I think Night Blue exterior with Bordeaux/Black interior would be the same. I know from first hand experience that the Bordeaux/Black interior is fabulous with the black exterior on my wife's and my 991.2 911 C2.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 08-11-2020 at 08:36 PM.
evilfij (08-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0