Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 02:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,768 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Sure, but why must the top model only come with a manual top? Just as it comes with manual or PDK, sofas or lwbs, irons or pccb, it could also come with a manual or auto top. They can even keep the humps and wings exclusive to the manual top if it’s too difficult to automate them — just keep the rest of the car and options the same.
Hmmmm, how to reply, the Spyder is the form they wanted the top 718 cabriolet model to have, complete with humps that completely covers the soft top when down, could they have automated it, maybe but then it would take on the complexity of the 991/992 Targa, it's glass hatch and roof all stow at a push of a button but all of that adds significant weight to the car. The Spyder is trying to me a minimalist car, yes I know about stereo and NAV, but the manual top is definitely part of the equation as is the top rated engine and suspension. Porsche differentiates all of their models within a line in one way or the other, this is how it is with the 718's.

It sounds like you are not accepting of, or ready for, a manual top, I wasn't either in 2016 when I gave up a Spyder and ordered a GTS, here we are 4 years later and for those that want an automatic top again they have a choice in the GTS 4.0, I personally think it is great that Porsche has offered this.
The following users liked this post:
ISPYA718 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

No one denies that offering the GTS 4.0 is great. Haven’t made up my mind yet about it vs the Spyder. The pros and cons are almost perfectly balanced between the two. That’s why it’s such a hard dilemma which could have been easily resolved if the auto-top version was equal to the manual top one (maybe humps and wings excluded). The GTS 4.0 even has the auto-blip feature that cannot be turned off while it is separately switchable in the Spyder. Who makes these bizarre decisions and distinctions between models and why?
Old 07-16-2020, 03:11 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
No one denies that offering the GTS 4.0 is great. Haven’t made up my mind yet about it vs the Spyder. The pros and cons are almost perfectly balanced between the two. That’s why it’s such a hard dilemma which could have been easily resolved if the auto-top version was equal to the manual top one (maybe humps and wings excluded). The GTS 4.0 even has the auto-blip feature that cannot be turned off while it is separately switchable in the Spyder. Who makes these bizarre decisions and distinctions between models and why?
To push you towards the Spyder
Old 07-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
5 years ago I was almost exactly where you are today, the 2016 Spyder beautiful but without all of the GT4 suspension and even down on power, and of course that manual top, so I choose the GTS.

The rational for the option combinations is true Porsche and was summarized below.

Originally Posted by idk_alex
To push you towards the Spyder
This is what Porsche seems to do best...
Old 07-16-2020, 03:27 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

You either are okay with the manual roof or not. It's a trade off. Back in 981 days you had to deal with manual roof if you wanted the 3.8 engine. Now with 718, you have to deal with manual roof if you want GT suspension bits.

I don't want GT bits, I don't care for manual roof, so my choice is pretty simple. Btw, I was close to buying 981 Spyder. I did not, and after spending some time in a Boxster with automatic roof, I am really glad I did not buy the Spyder. It may depend on your use case, locale, weather, etc. For me manual roof would suck given much I was opening/closing the roof.

And while I like 981 Spyder look over regular Boxster, I am not so sure about 718. The front bumper is bit gaudy, but that's subjective. Generally speaking current Spyder has narrowest utility among all three cars. My take:

GT4: track car, can be fun backroad car, if roads are smooth
Spyder: backroad fun car, but requires smooth roads and consistently great weather
GTS 4.0: touring/backroad fun car, can be a daily in fair weather locales, does not require perfect roads

Great to have choices!
The following 2 users liked this post by unclemat:
rjag2034 (07-17-2020), Westcoast (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclemat
You either are okay with the manual roof or not. It's a trade off. Back in 981 days you had to deal with manual roof if you wanted the 3.8 engine. Now with 718, you have to deal with manual roof if you want GT suspension bits.

I don't want GT bits, I don't care for manual roof, so my choice is pretty simple. Btw, I was close to buying 981 Spyder. I did not, and after spending some time in a Boxster with automatic roof, I am really glad I did not buy the Spyder. It may depend on your use case, locale, weather, etc. For me manual roof would suck given much I was opening/closing the roof.

And while I like 981 Spyder look over regular Boxster, I am not so sure about 718. The front bumper is bit gaudy, but that's subjective. Generally speaking current Spyder has narrowest utility among all three cars. My take:

Spyder: backroad fun car, but requires smooth roads and consistently great weather
GTS 4.0: touring/backroad fun car, can be a daily in fair weather locales, does not require perfect roads

Great to have choices!
Agree with most of the above. One could even argue that a lighter GTS 4.0 with smaller/lighter brakes, narrower/lighter wheels, lighter, back-road friendlier and switchable suspension, lower grip PS4S tires, optioned with lwbs and pccb is lighter and more purist than a Spyder -- unless dancing around the car to open/close a manual top is some secret purist ritual of which I may not be aware.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Agree with most of the above. One could even argue that a lighter GTS 4.0 with smaller/lighter brakes, narrower/lighter wheels, lighter, back-road friendlier and switchable suspension, lower grip PS4S tires, optioned with lwbs and pccb is lighter and more purist than a Spyder -- unless dancing around the car to open/close a manual top is some secret purist ritual of which I may not be aware.
Shush! That is a Spyder owner secret, Porsche sends you the video link after they confirm purchase!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:15 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The GTS 4.0 would better complement the raw 996 GT3. Daily good wine + weekly stiff single malt. Neither would be tracked as I have a race car for that. My 987 Boxster S’s (this is my second one) have been the most driven strictly fun/backroads cars I’ve owned. While a car like that typically gets 1-2k miles/yr, the Boxster clocks close to 5k miles/yr of pure backroads fun. Without the auto-top, that would likely be cut to less than half and bring it down to 6gt3 level.

Again, if only the Spyder wasn’t so darn gorgeous, now also offered in Python Green...
oh what a tortured soul you are hf

There were similar issues with the GT3- choose PDK or touring but not both. Most guys just compromised with one or the other or else otherwise moved on. job done.

But there is also a obstinate contingent who just had to have it their way and deleted the wing from their manual GT3. Like the guy who retrofitted a manual shift to their 991 3RS.

Have it your way- get the Spyder, if u can’t live with the manual roof, retrofit the standard roof... epic project

Last edited by DR1VEN; 07-16-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Are allocations widely available now? My dealer still says he doesn't have one for me.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:33 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,911 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Are allocations widely available now? My dealer still says he doesn't have one for me.
Doesn't seem that way. My dealer got 1 CGTS and 1 BGTS allocation for the remainder of the year.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:52 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat

Great to have choices!
Hey Unclemat,

I agree: Its great to have choices. 100%. I had a beautiful 2010 Boxster. Loved it. Hydraulic steering, smooth gear shifting, loved it!. Then I got the 718 GR Spyder. Wow! what a car! The manual top is not so great after the 2010 Boxster. I do like the fact that you do not see the top at all once it is lowered. I think, that is perhaps, aesthetically, the most important beautiful thing about this Spyder above the Boxster. Will I raise it if it is inclement weather, of course I will. But, the Spyder makes me hope for great weather everyday and when it is great outside, summer or not, it is amazing.

I did the Porsche configurator thing for the GTS 4.0. To get most of the features that my GR Spyder has (MSRP US $115K) on the GTS 4.0, it almost comes to the same MSRP, almost. I like the looks of the GTS 4.0 but the looks of the 718 Spyder just leaves you breathless. I have attached comparative photos of my 2010 Boxster and the 2020 718 GR Spyder.

The following 2 users liked this post by Raghu:
ISPYA718 (07-23-2020), unclemat (01-29-2021)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

After a short consideration stint in the Spyder camp, I'm now fully back to my original GTS 4.0 position. I agree with Raghu, the price diff shrinks to $3-7k for similarly equipped builds. The Spyder has just the looks going for it but not by much. The other big diffs (GT3 suspension, bigger brakes, wider wheels, stickier tires) I'm not sure I'd consider those as advantages for backroads. And it will remain to be seen how a roadster chassis handles the stiffer GT3 suspension over time. Today I drove my Boxster 1.5hrs to a meeting and took the backroads on the way back. I opened/closed the top 3 times each way without stopping (highway, traffic, noise, phone call, heat, passing summer rain,...) . Every time I touched that auto-top toggle I thought "If I was in a Spyder, I'd have to look for a place to stop and run around the car to open/close the top.". And I toggled the PASM switch on/off about 3 times each way depending on the smoothness of the road surface. As for the looks, not too shabby, one could even say beautiful in its simplicity and form following function...

The question now is do I replace my 987 Boxster S which not only never disappoints but makes me love it more after every drive we take together.

Last edited by hf1; 07-23-2020 at 09:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
Dry Side (07-23-2020), JPMD (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:15 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The question now is do I replace my 987 Boxster S which not only never disappoints but makes me love it more after every drive we take together.
my answer is the same as 6 weeks ago

first part is an emotional decision, getting a new one configured how you like is certainly a great reward/grand experience

second part is a financial decision and for most folks clearly not worth $50k or $70k or maybe more to upgrade over something you love and drive every day

which is most important to you?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:29 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 596 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
After a short consideration stint in the Spyder camp, I'm now fully back to my original GTS 4.0 position. I agree with Raghu, the price diff shrinks to $3-7k for similarly equipped builds. The Spyder has just the looks going for it but not by much. The other big diffs (GT3 suspension, bigger brakes, wider wheels, stickier tires) I'm not sure I'd consider those as advantages for backroads. And it will remain to be seen how a roadster chassis handles the stiffer GT3 suspension over time. Today I drove my Boxster 1.5hrs to a meeting and took the backroads on the way back. I opened/closed the top 3 times each way without stopping (highway, traffic, noise, phone call, heat, passing summer rain,...) . Every time I touched that auto-top toggle I thought "If I was in a Spyder, I'd have to look for a place to stop and run around the car to open/close the top.". And I toggled the PASM switch on/off about 3 times each way depending on the smoothness of the road surface. As for the looks, not too shabby, one could even say beautiful in its simplicity and form following function...

That’s a great looking 987. Find a way to keep it! I actually prefer your 987 over the new Boxster in the looks category.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:52 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rooster17
That’s a great looking 987. Find a way to keep it! I actually prefer your 987 over the new Boxster in the looks category.
Thank you, and I agree. The 987 Boxster seems to be aging really well. Its proportions and size are more roadster pure. Mine is also a beautiful unicorn with GT Silver and full natural brown leather. My concern is that I may prefer it in many other categories (feel, sound with Milltek mufflers, using 3rd and 4th gear), as well. Not ideal that I can’t test drive a GTS before ordering one. European Delivery in Spring is the big plus for the GTS. Maybe I keep the 987, enjoy the new GTS in Europe, then decide which one to keep. Funds are not the issue, space is, and keeping 3 Boxsters will be crossing into cray-cray territory.

Or maybe I should just get off RL and enjoy what I have.

Last edited by hf1; 07-24-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0