Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 11:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Any thoughts on this?

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PMS581Q0

Is the shifter boot really black?
Looks really classy. I hope the black shifter boot is an error. I think the Premium package is not worth it.
Was there a way to add deviated stitching to Espresso? How close is Cognac to the standard Porsche Beige leather color? I hope it's a bit deeper/darker than Beige.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:52 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Any thoughts on this?

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PMS581Q0

Is the shifter boot really black?
looks really odd if the shifter boot is black
PDK shifter is shown in Espresso so I think this has to be an error

Old 06-27-2020, 01:48 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 146 Posts

I have one on order just outside of Vancouver. Price is $94,500 before options.
I optioned the Bose stereo, LED headlights and the fantastic gentian blue. The rest of what I want was now made standard for MY 2021.
Production starts November and delivery early 2021 for Canada.

The following 2 users liked this post by Haros:
UncleDude (11-09-2020), wdr911 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:12 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Haros
I optioned the Bose stereo, LED headlights and the fantastic gentian blue. The rest of what I want was now made standard for MY 2021.
Wow...you actually agreed to pay over $4000 in dealer added fees? They delivering it to you twice? Prepping and PDI twice? And documenting it on top of that?
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:30 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

They do seem to have tacked on more fees than usual. For comparison, on my Spyder, Porsche Centre Oakville charged me $499 admin fee, $1250 freight, and $1295 PDI. No separate “destination charge” as that’s just another term for freight. The PDI they charge me is overpriced, but I didn’t argue because I wanted a Spyder allocation.

For the GTS 4.0, it’s a less exclusive car, so I’d have a harder time accepting the tacked on fees unless you want one of the earliest allocations.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:34 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
They do seem to have tacked on more fees than usual. For comparison, on my Spyder, Porsche Centre Oakville charged me $499 admin fee, $1250 freight, and $1295 PDI. No separate “destination charge” as that’s just another term for freight. The PDI they charge me is overpriced, but I didn’t argue because I wanted a Spyder allocation.

For the GTS 4.0, it’s a less exclusive car, so I’d have a harder time accepting the tacked on fees unless you want one of the earliest allocations.
you are saying the pricing is incorrect? Am I being charged twice?
Old 06-27-2020, 04:22 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

you are saying the pricing is incorrect? Am I being charged twice?
A dealer can tack on whatever fees they want, but the $1500 destination charge was meant to cover shipping the car from Germany to your location in Canada. In your case, it seems they’re charging $1500 to bring it to Canada, and another $1745 for a combination of domestic transport to Vancouver (from Halifax?) plus PDI. Charging $500 for “dealer prep” in addition to PDI also seems rather scummy.

I would have pushed back on some of the tacked on dealer fees (I was charged around $1000 less altogether in Ontario), though it’s not as clear cut as being right or wrong. It makes sense that shipping a car from Germany to BC costs more than shipping from Germany to Ontario, but still their tacked on fees seem a bit excessive to me.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:25 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
A dealer can tack on whatever fees they want, but the $1500 destination charge was meant to cover shipping the car from Germany to your location in Canada. In your case, it seems they’re charging $1500 to bring it to Canada, and another $1745 for a combination of domestic transport to Vancouver (from Halifax?) plus PDI. Charging $500 for “dealer prep” in addition to PDI also seems rather scummy.

I would have pushed back on some of the tacked on dealer fees (I was charged around $1000 less altogether in Ontario), though it’s not as clear cut as being right or wrong. It makes sense that shipping a car from Germany to BC costs more than shipping from Germany to Ontario, but still their tacked on fees seem a bit excessive to me.
thank you very much. I will phone tomorrow. I know the destination fee is set from Porsche themselves. I honestly was so overwhelmed I didn’t look at the whole bill.
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 08:21 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonicworld
I've heard all kinds of reports re this material on steering wheels and manual shifter ***** but don't hear too much about it as a seating surface. Seems like it could be warm in the Summer, any truth to that? Also wondering how it wears as a seating surface.
I too would like this answered by someone who has used the alcantara (race tex) on their seats and how it compares to leather. Does it offer any extra grip (less sliding) in turns especially on the standard seats?
Old 06-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

^^^ my opinion is that it does grip better, but in extreme cases that grip can wear off (on something like a steering wheel, but not a seat unless you are doing some weird things in that seat!). It can also be warmer than leather at times, but probably not AS scorching hot as leather if they are both sitting in the sun for a while. From a function perspective, they each have their pros/cons. I think leather is cooler in ambient heat but hotter with direct sunlight. Alcantera is grippier unless those knobby grippy pieces wear off.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:59 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

^ Interesting observations. What I can add is my Boxster S has all leather black sport seats; I never put the top up and being too hot to sit in has never been a problem. Of course one has to consider I live in New England and not Arizona, so ones experience may vary.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:48 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Since the odds of having the opportunity to comparatively test drive a 718 Spyder to a 718 GTS 4.0 Boxster are slim to none been wondering what the difference might feel by the seat of the pants. Henry Catchpole does an excellent job of doing just that so thought I'd share as I'm sure there are others wondering the same.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:20 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Here's another good one. The saturation is better (more realistic) in this video (vs the more faded one in the Catchpole video) for showing the new Python Green:

Old 06-27-2020, 07:04 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I too would like this answered by someone who has used the alcantara (race tex) on their seats and how it compares to leather. Does it offer any extra grip (less sliding) in turns especially on the standard seats?
My daily is a 2005 330i ZHP with a cloth/alcantara interior. I've owned the car since it was lightly used (~3ish years old). The alcantara is on the seat bolsters (front and back) and steering wheel.

There's a bit of visible wear on the outside driver's side bolster, but beyond that my interior looks far better than the vast majority of leather interiors I've seen from cars of the same vintage (i.e. any that hasn't been religiously cleaned and conditioned), and outside of occasionally washing the wheel with nothing but water and very mild soap, I've put exactly zero effort into maintaining it for the past 11+ years. It isn't sunbleached, dried, or cracked. I've seen a lot of complaints about how it holds up on steering wheels in particular, but I really wonder if people simply aren't putting any effort into cleaning and maintaining it properly (simply do I what I did, and wash your hands with soap on top of it). Even so, the leather wheel/shifter is a no-cost option here and would solve that problem if you're really concerned.

From a functional standpoint: I think it is a bit cooler than leather most of the time, and it's also warmer in the winter. It's definitely grippier. That said, though, the actual inserts in my car are cloth (which breathes better than both alcantra and leather). I drove this car in Florida for a few years and found it far more comfortable than leather there.

Based on this experience, I plan to opt for the Race-Tex (including the wheel/shifter). I can grab photos later, if you'd like.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:56 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

It seems the deviated stitching options are still not selectable in the US.

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0