Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:06 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
The front end of the 4RS would be dramatically improved with wider tyres say 255s.
Originally Posted by Manifold
I dunno, if it was that easy to improve one or both ends of a sports car, manufacturers would just design and provide them with wider tires.
It is a bit of a balancing act for Porsche.... you could argue that the 981/982 GT cars are actually over-tyred - for instance, they all have more tyre that say 600LT which has significantly more performance.

Last edited by TDT; 01-04-2024 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:28 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

The 4RS benefit is its compact dimension and/or being lighter compared to the 992GT cars. This is quite noticeable when driving especially with the feeling of the car rotating round about where the driver is sitting. On GT3/RS you feel it rotating behind you which makes sense considering the differences in engine layout etc. The longer wheelbase of the 4RS compared to the GT3 also helps in this regard. They are very different cars to drive on track in my experience. Try to drive a 4RS flat out on track in the same style as you would a 992GT3 and it falls apart in comparison.
You need to trail brake the GT3 to get it to turn in as you would wish( less in the 992 vs 991) but in complete contrast in the 4RS you get the braking done in a straight line and steer on the throttle otherwise you unload the back wheels too much.
I found that when I first drove my old 718GT4 on track I tended to over brake until the apex as I was so used to my 991.2RS which I learnt to drive on track in. This resulted in me over driving the GT4 and not really going as fast as I should have been. Same on exit when getting on the power. In my 4RS I think I've started to adapt my driving accordingly and getting faster by not driving it like a GT3.
There is also quite a difference between driving one 4RS with Mags and PCCBs/STs to another fitted with and standard alloys and Steel brakes. A total of 30KG less both unsprung and rotating weight makes a real difference in my view.
The 4RS and GT3/RS are different enought in the way they drive that a lot of it comes down to what platform you're used to, and equally personal preference. Not so much about which is better just different .
All in my extremely humble opinion of course.
Agree. This is the challenge when driving them back to back on a track. You have to try and make a deliberate adjustment in driving styles between sessions. If you forget, and drive the 4RS the same as the GT3, as you say, it falls apart. However, you can drive the GT3 in the same as the 4RS and it doesn't fall apart to the extent the 4RS does.

Last edited by Chris3963; 01-04-2024 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Taffy66 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The front end of the 4RS would be dramatically improved with wider tyres say 255s.
I ran a more square set-up on my GT4s with 265 front and 285 rear and that helped a lot with turn-in and neutralized the understeer issue with the OEM set-up.
Taffy66 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:38 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,766 Likes on 884 Posts

The 4RS benefit is its compact dimension and/or being lighter compared to the 992GT cars. This is quite noticeable when driving especially with the feeling of the car rotating round about where the driver is sitting. On GT3/RS you feel it rotating behind you which makes sense considering the differences in engine layout etc. The longer wheelbase of the 4RS compared to the GT3 also helps in this regard. They are very different cars to drive on track in my experience. Try to drive a 4RS flat out on track in the same style as you would a 992GT3 and it falls apart in comparison.
You need to trail brake the GT3 to get it to turn in as you would wish( less in the 992 vs 991) but in complete contrast in the 4RS you get the braking done in a straight line and steer on the throttle otherwise you unload the back wheels too much.
I found that when I first drove my old 718GT4 on track I tended to over brake until the apex as I was so used to my 991.2RS which I learnt to drive on track in. This resulted in me over driving the GT4 and not really going as fast as I should have been. Same on exit when getting on the power. In my 4RS I think I've started to adapt my driving accordingly and getting faster by not driving it like a GT3.
There is also quite a difference between driving one 4RS with Mags and PCCBs/STs to another fitted with and standard alloys and Steel brakes. A total of 30KG less both unsprung and rotating weight makes a real difference in my view.
The 4RS and GT3/RS are different enought in the way they drive that a lot of it comes down to what platform you're used to, and equally personal preference. Not so much about which is better just different .
All in my extremely humble opinion of course.
fun to be the underdog!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
Odin (01-07-2024), Taffy66 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 07:02 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Agree. This is the challenge when driving them back to back on a track. You have to try and make a deliberate adjustment in driving styles between sessions. If you forget, and drive the 4RS the same as the GT3, as you say, it falls apart. However, you can drive the GT3 in the same as the 4RS and it doesn't fall apart to the extent the 4RS does.
Modern 911s are so forgiving, it takes a complete idiot to f it up. Porsche deliberately engineered the car to be this way.

They didn't work that magic into their 'lesser' Cayman/Boxster platform, so it takes a real driver to get the most out of the mid engine Porsches.

The following 4 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
168glhs1986 (01-13-2024), Crazy Eddie (01-13-2024), Drifting (01-06-2024), EXFIB (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:26 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Modern 911s are so forgiving, it takes a complete idiot to f it up. Porsche deliberately engineered the car to be this way.

They didn't work that magic into their 'lesser' Cayman/Boxster platform, so it takes a real driver to get the most out of the mid engine Porsches.
Yes, sadly it didn't get an equal amount of fairy dust as the 992 did.

Indeed, not long after PAG launched the 4RS, I was at Spa early April 2022 and Porsche had 5 of the first cars off the production line there for us to drive. We were one the first group of people to drive the car. The Journalists hadn't even driven it yet.

After my first stint, I commented to the engineer responsible for suspension development that the car felt loose in the rear end and needed more tyre both front and rear because could really feel the limitations at the heavy braking points around the track especially. He responded that the development team actually requested more tyre but that would have required changes to the suspension and bodywork for which there was no budget so they had to work with the current hardware. So, yeah, it missed out on having some magic applied in that area.
Crazy Eddie (01-13-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 10:09 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Yes, sadly it didn't get an equal amount of fairy dust as the 992 did.

Indeed, not long after PAG launched the 4RS, I was at Spa early April 2022 and Porsche had 5 of the first cars off the production line there for us to drive. We were one the first group of people to drive the car. The Journalists hadn't even driven it yet.

After my first stint, I commented to the engineer responsible for suspension development that the car felt loose in the rear end and needed more tyre both front and rear because could really feel the limitations at the heavy braking points around the track especially. He responded that the development team actually requested more tyre but that would have required changes to the suspension and bodywork for which there was no budget so they had to work with the current hardware. So, yeah, it missed out on having some magic applied in that area.
The 4RS was based off the old 991 platform, with a dead end coming Porsche isn't gonna spend extra, very understandable. Also needed to considered is that the car was first conceived over 6 years ago, the 'major' components are already locked in a long time ago, whatever was developed after are just tweaks.

TDT (01-05-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 10:34 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,278 Posts

For folks with WP, does the front edge of those side intakes take a beating? Does the exposed cf get chipped up? Even with ppf?

Wondering whether I really want / need that for my SRS.

TIA
Old 01-13-2024, 12:02 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,018 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
For folks with WP, does the front edge of those side intakes take a beating? Does the exposed cf get chipped up? Even with ppf?

TIA
Which side intakes? Upper side intakes, or lower side intakes?

Either way, with PPF, no.

The lower ones come with a little protective PPF strip from the factory, but most get that removed to apply full coverage PPF on the whole intake piece.

The upper ones don’t seem to be at risk of anything. But most get PPF on it as well. Never had an issue.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:18 AM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift

TIA
the side scoops behind the door take a lot of crap thrown by the front wheels. But PPF holds them well. The top ones don’t get hit in normal circumstances.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:47 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

Interesting. You are making me want to track my 4RS now. A call to TPC racing might be in order
Old 01-13-2024, 02:35 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Interesting. You are making me want to track my 4RS now. A call to TPC racing might be in order
If you brute force it like driving a 911, the experience will not be pleasant. The mid engine cars demand finesse. Smooth inputs are the key, dance to its beat and tune and the car will merge with you as one. It will be twitchy at the limit. When it's rotating, it will want to see keep rotating more, demanding quick reflexes, but it's the most rewarding feeling when you mastered the technique. Slight change of the throttle input is all that's need to change the trajectory, tiny change in weight shift makes a lot of difference, unlike in a 911 where it takes a lot of weight shift to move the needle.

The following 4 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
BNACK (01-13-2024), Drifting (01-13-2024), Mike981S (02-09-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

If you brute force it like driving a 911, the experience will not be pleasant. The mid engine cars demand finesse. Smooth inputs are the key, dance to its beat and tune and the car will merge with you as one. It will be twitchy at the limit. When it's rotating, it will want to see keep rotating more, demanding quick reflexes, but it's the most rewarding feeling when you mastered the technique. Slight change of the throttle input is all that's need to change the trajectory, tiny change in weight shift makes a lot of difference, unlike in a 911 where it takes a lot of weight shift to move the needle.
nice description!

I’m looking forward to this dance with my SRS.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:48 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,278 Posts

This has been true of all the boxsters / caymans; doesn't take the high dollar version. It took quite a few spins in time trial events back in the day in my 986S, but once you get it...it dances under you, at your command. Love this platform.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
Mike981S (02-09-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-13-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 02:54 PM
dm18
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I tracked my 4RS a lot. My house is close to a member’s track so I can go on track pretty much anytime I want. I race on that track so I know it better than most of my friends who are DDE. I got very discouraged chasing 992 GT3RS. The 4RS is playful but simply lacking downforce and 4 wheel steering. Sold the 4RS and have 3RS inbound. Keeping 4 Clubsport which is entirely different experience. Have SRS inbound which will be perfect on twisties and taking friends on sightseeing laps.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS