Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 03:24 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If you brute force it like driving a 911, the experience will not be pleasant. The mid engine cars demand finesse. Smooth inputs are the key, dance to its beat and tune and the car will merge with you as one. It will be twitchy at the limit. When it's rotating, it will want to see keep rotating more, demanding quick reflexes, but it's the most rewarding feeling when you mastered the technique. Slight change of the throttle input is all that's need to change the trajectory, tiny change in weight shift makes a lot of difference, unlike in a 911 where it takes a lot of weight shift to move the needle.
Great post. I prefer steering with the throttle anyway so this should be fun. Probably closer to my M2 CS than the GT3.

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 01-14-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:32 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,766 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by dm18
I tracked my 4RS a lot. My house is close to a member’s track so I can go on track pretty much anytime I want. I race on that track so I know it better than most of my friends who are DDE. I got very discouraged chasing 992 GT3RS. The 4RS is playful but simply lacking downforce and 4 wheel steering. Sold the 4RS and have 3RS inbound. Keeping 4 Clubsport which is entirely different experience. Have SRS inbound which will be perfect on twisties and taking friends on sightseeing laps.
992 GT3rs down force is a whole different ballgame for sure.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:38 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

I tracked my 4RS a lot. My house is close to a member’s track so I can go on track pretty much anytime I want. I race on that track so I know it better than most of my friends who are DDE. I got very discouraged chasing 992 GT3RS. The 4RS is playful but simply lacking downforce and 4 wheel steering. Sold the 4RS and have 3RS inbound. Keeping 4 Clubsport which is entirely different experience. Have SRS inbound which will be perfect on twisties and taking friends on sightseeing laps.
Hmm, you do realized you are comparing apples vs oranges right?

4RS was never designed to be a track monster like the 3RS was. It is a street car that can hold its own on track, but where it really shines in back roads and mountain twisties, roads that would make the whale, aka 992 3RS feels out of place. The smaller 4RS will just glide from one corner to the next without worries of scraping concrete or rock walls.

I have both, and the 3RS is a one dimension track monster, it's is like a fish out of water when put into mountain twisties. A 992 GT3 suffers the same fate as it is just as large. A 991 3RS would put them to shame on mountain roads.

For the last 8 years every summer I head over to Europe to drive the Alps. Porsche first provided 991 turbo S then 992 turbo S after COVID. The bigger 992 simply feels unwieldy in those roads. There was zero incidents during the 991 years but last couple years after they switched to the 992s, each year there was incidents where guests scraped the rear fenders on something, signs, guard rails, you name it.

The following 5 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
168glhs1986 (01-15-2024), Alan C. (01-15-2024), Booth9999 (01-15-2024), Crazy Eddie (01-15-2024), Mike981S (02-09-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 01:38 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

If you only drive in the mountains the GT4 RS ‘might’ be the better choice. If only on the track it ‘might’ be the 992 GT3. It’s an individual thing. For cheap thrills a well sorted spec Miata would most likely be a lot of fun in the mountains, and cheap!
Old 01-15-2024, 09:33 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 589 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Hmm, you do realized you are comparing apples vs oranges right?

4RS was never designed to be a track monster like the 3RS was. It is a street car that can hold its own on track, but where it really shines in back roads and mountain twisties, roads that would make the whale, aka 992 3RS feels out of place. The smaller 4RS will just glide from one corner to the next without worries of scraping concrete or rock walls.

I have both, and the 3RS is a one dimension track monster, it's is like a fish out of water when put into mountain twisties. A 992 GT3 suffers the same fate as it is just as large. A 991 3RS would put them to shame on mountain roads.

For the last 8 years every summer I head over to Europe to drive the Alps. Porsche first provided 991 turbo S then 992 turbo S after COVID. The bigger 992 simply feels unwieldy in those roads. There was zero incidents during the 991 years but last couple years after they switched to the 992s, each year there was incidents where guests scraped the rear fenders on something, signs, guard rails, you name it.
I think the issue is alot.... and I mean alot of folks out there want the 4RS to be a champion of all and the limits of the 4RS are quickly found in experienced hands and agreed it's best used as a cruiser. When I said that nearly a year ago many here on RL thought that was blasphemy and an insult to the car as it's a "racecar" that bares the RS brand and belongs on the track. Simply put, it's not.

The 992 is bulky in areas no doubt, and that's half the enjoyment as it's evolved to be more daily worthy with size for most. I can see size being problematic on incredibly narrow Euro roads, but it's not terrible in comparison to prior guns. If accidents are happening I can only speculate why. The 992(especially Turbo S) is so good it give false confidence to many drivers and can very quickly get away for you.

The majesty in the design though is how 991 to 992 we saw a size increase, and yet on the 3RS there was nearly a 100lb gain and yet the design enabled light-years ahead performance. When I have my Turbo S or 4RS out next to one of my ACR-E Vipers I think "damn those cars are huge" and it's funny just to see and by comparison the 992 looks like a Micro machine compared to the footprint of a Pagani or Laferrari for that matter

Originally Posted by Alan C.
If you only drive in the mountains the GT4 RS ‘might’ be the better choice. If only on the track it ‘might’ be the 992 GT3. It’s an individual thing. For cheap thrills a well sorted spec Miata would most likely be a lot of fun in the mountains, and cheap!
The 4RS on a Cruise is not sustainable to many for long cruises. Unfortunate but true.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:54 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
I think the issue is alot.... and I mean alot of folks out there want the 4RS to be a champion of all and the limits of the 4RS are quickly found in experienced hands and agreed it's best used as a cruiser. When I said that nearly a year ago many here on RL thought that was blasphemy and an insult to the car as it's a "racecar" that bares the RS brand and belongs on the track. Simply put, it's not.
I hardly would say that the 4RS is best used as a "cruiser". It's just as track focused as any RS car. Of course the GT department didn't throw everything they have at it to get the absolute fastest raw track times, and why would they? They have to keep the GT3 products on "pole position", to quote Andy Preuninger, and that includes more aero, tires and a more sophisticated suspension geometry. Many people just like the feeling of the mid engine car, along with the sounds and size of the 4RS. Track worthiness should not be in question here. Not to mention, most people aren't pushing their cars 10/10ths all day long on track. Nobody is winning a trophy at an HPDE. Get the car that suits your style of driving and enjoy on or off track.

Last edited by chriswd62; 01-15-2024 at 10:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chriswd62:
jmartpr (01-15-2024), Mike981S (02-09-2024), turbo36x (01-23-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 10:00 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

The 992 is bulky in areas no doubt, and that's half the enjoyment as it's evolved to be more daily worthy with size for most. I can see size being problematic on incredibly narrow Euro roads, but it's not terrible in comparison to prior guns. If accidents are happening I can only speculate why. The 992(especially Turbo S) is so good it give false confidence to many drivers and can very quickly get away for you.

The majesty in the design though is how 991 to 992 we saw a size increase, and yet on the 3RS there was nearly a 100lb gain and yet the design enabled light-years ahead performance. When I have my Turbo S or 4RS out next to one of my ACR-E Vipers I think "damn those cars are huge" and it's funny just to see and by comparison the 992 looks like a Micro machine compared to the footprint of a Pagani or Laferrari for that matter

The 4RS on a Cruise is not sustainable to many for long cruises. Unfortunate but true.

From a track only perspective, The 992 GT3RS is the ultimate track car from PAG (for now) no question about it and it's obvious it should be more than capable to eclipse the track performance of the 4RS.
Never the less, the 4RS is so capable as a track car that it will be more than enough for most of us mere mortals besides bringing a different attitude to the 992 models.
Lately I only see threads about "need the downforce" and other specs than on paper (or Cars & Coffee) look good but wonder if people have access to the track(s) and abilities to exploit those attributes.
So what's the price difference between 4RS and 992 3RS? Right.......just enjoy the car for what it is and thank PAG they actually build it, which I never though would happen.

The following 6 users liked this post by jmartpr:
Alan C. (01-15-2024), Crazy Eddie (01-15-2024), Ksdaoski (01-15-2024), Mike981S (02-09-2024), RDCR (01-15-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-15-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2024, 10:20 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

The Cayman doesn't need rear wheel steering and the factory isn't handicapping the car intentionally. You physically can't put a mult-link rear suspension in the back of a Cayman.

As far as balance goes and why you are losing ground to them, when you enter the corner and the car is set up right, it has less understeer than a stock GT3RS BUT...BUT...when you go to push the gas and the inside half of your loaded rear tire and the outside half of your unloaded rear tire aren't even on the ground, you are losing the ability to push yourself down the track. You suck up on their butt just before the apex and then you get drug down the straight.

In addition, the 911s having the *** over the rear tires makes for even better acceleratrion at corner exit because you have dynamic weight being planted on the rear tires.

Old 01-15-2024, 10:59 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

I don't think the point of 4RS is about lap times. It sounds like it's a pure drivers car, living on the edge. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing 90% plus of the 992 3RS owners will never take that car to the edge.

If you aren't turning PRO times around any race track in America you don't stand a chance of driving that car to it's fullest. I'm sure it will be fun trying though.

My buddy who is as good as any top amateur driver in the country drives a E36M3 on the track and kicks everyone's ***. Drivers skills > car abilities

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 01-15-2024 at 11:05 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 168glhs1986:
Alan C. (01-15-2024), Mike981S (02-09-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-15-2024), Whoopsy (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 10:59 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by chriswd62
I hardly would say that the 4RS is best used as a "cruiser". It's just as track focused as any RS car. Of course the GT department didn't throw everything they have at it to get the absolute fastest raw track times, and why would they? They have to keep the GT3 products on "pole position", to quote Andy Preuninger, and that includes more aero, tires and a more sophisticated suspension geometry. Many people just like the feeling of the mid engine car, along with the sounds and size of the 4RS. Track worthiness should not be in question here. Not to mention, most people aren't pushing their cars 10/10ths all day long on track. Nobody is winning a trophy at an HPDE. Get the car that suits your style of driving and enjoy on or off track.
Originally Posted by jmartpr
From a track only perspective, The 992 GT3RS is the ultimate track car from PAG (for now) no question about it and it's obvious it should be more than capable to eclipse the track performance of the 4RS.
Never the less, the 4RS is so capable as a track car that it will be more than enough for most of us mere mortals besides bringing a different attitude to the 992 models.
Lately I only see threads about "need the downforce" and other specs than on paper (or Cars & Coffee) look good but wonder if people have access to the track(s) and abilities to exploit those attributes.
So what's the price difference between 4RS and 992 3RS? Right.......just enjoy the car for what it is and thank PAG they actually build it, which I never though would happen.
Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The Cayman doesn't need rear wheel steering and the factory isn't handicapping the car intentionally. You physically can't put a mult-link rear suspension in the back of a Cayman.

As far as balance goes and why you are losing ground to them, when you enter the corner and the car is set up right, it has less understeer than a stock GT3RS BUT...BUT...when you go to push the gas and the inside half of your loaded rear tire and the outside half of your unloaded rear tire aren't even on the ground, you are losing the ability to push yourself down the track. You suck up on their butt just before the apex and then you get drug down the straight.

In addition, the 911s having the *** over the rear tires makes for even better acceleratrion at corner exit because you have dynamic weight being planted on the rear tires.

I think we all could agree though.... the 4RS would've greatly benefited with a better rear wing design and/ or larger front splitter. This would help at least compensate for the steering short comings. Sure Porsche was limited with the body and what it could piece into the chassis, but there are ways to overcome such hurdles. I'm no expert, but I can say without a doubt the 4RS leaves alot to be desired when compared at a higher aero car.

The irony to me is the 4RS being built essentially as a Porsche "because we can" type car places it in the C&C category to me. Hell just look at how hard JCR has been pushing and seeking to redesign the 4RS and still cam be bested by a regular GT3. Not knocking it, just making factual observations.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:11 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports

You guys would know, IMSA racing the 4RS CS. You were nice enough to answer my questions at VIR last summer. Good luck at Daytona! Oh and.....

For the average amateur driver, which car would be more fun on the track? 4RS or 992 3RS? You don't have to answer that if you want to stay neutral so to speak.

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 01-15-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:21 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

I think we all could agree though.... the 4RS would've greatly benefited with a better rear wing design and/ or larger front splitter. This would help at least compensate for the steering short comings. Sure Porsche was limited with the body and what it could piece into the chassis, but there are ways to overcome such hurdles. I'm no expert, but I can say without a doubt the 4RS leaves alot to be desired when compared at a higher aero car.

The irony to me is the 4RS being built essentially as a Porsche "because we can" type car places it in the C&C category to me. Hell just look at how hard JCR has been pushing and seeking to redesign the 4RS and still cam be bested by a regular GT3. Not knocking it, just making factual observations.
C and C Category? Ouch. I think we all know the 911 Chassis is superior to the Cayman chassis around the track. No one is denying that.

Not directed at you in particular, but go ahead and drive your high aero car around the track. I will have fun beating your times in my M2 CS with ZERO AERO all while going sideways and having more fun. You will definately be more planted though, haha. See you at VIR

@ Daytona.... I also have slip angle going thru the bus stop but man, was his car was really planted. I'll take point by's in the bus stop also but he wouldn't give it

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 01-15-2024 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 11:24 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
C and C Category? Ouch. I think we all know the 911 Chassis is superior to the Cayman chassis around the track. No one is denying that.

Not directed at you in particular, but go ahead and drive your high aero car around the track. I will have fun beating your times in my M2 CS with ZERO AERO all while going sideways and having more fun. You will definately be more planted though, haha. See you at VIR.
Lol. The M2CS if a cool pocket rocket and definitely a better bang for buck as are most M cars(have 4 of them).
The following users liked this post:
168glhs1986 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 11:54 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

GT4 RS is a C&C cruiser and the only serious track car now for lap times is a 992 GT3RS? Gimme a F-ing break . . . . . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
Adrift (01-15-2024), usctrojanGT3 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 12:39 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
GT4 RS is a C&C cruiser and the only serious track car now for lap times is a 992 GT3RS? Gimme a F-ing break . . . . . . .
Blowback from threatened 3RS/911 owners/fanboys who are tired of all the press the 4RS is getting?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS