Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 05:22 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I regret not getting the alcantera sunshades. Bout it.
You can get the OEM or go through Frank at Exclusive Options. Lately heard that Ed from EdGuard was looking into this too...
Old 11-15-2023, 06:47 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted....Carbon fiber floor mats are a must.

I regret not getting the alcantera sunshades. Bout it.
How are the CF mats holding up? My concern was that the part that bends or where the soles of your driving feet sit would get very beaten up. The aesthetic is very nice.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I couldn't fathom why I'd want carbon mats. Here's my current build:

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR68FPI9

Packages

1. Weissach Package
Foils
  1. "PORSCHE" Logo on Rear in High Gloss Silver
Transmission / Chassis
  1. 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
  2. Front Axle Lift System
  3. Chrono Package
  4. Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
  5. Brake Calipers in High Gloss Black
Wheels
  1. Wheels Painted in Satin Neodyme
  2. 20" 718 Cayman GT4 RS Forged Aluminum Wheels
Interior
  1. Full Bucket Seats
  2. Personalized Vehicle Keys Painted incl. One Key Pouch in Leather
  3. Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
  4. Storage Compartment Lid in Race-Tex with Porsche Crest
  5. Fire Extinguisher
Audio / Communication
  1. Smartphone Compartment
  2. Voice Control
  3. BOSE® Surround Sound System
  4. Deletion of SiriusXM® Antenna
Lights
  1. LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
  2. Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
Comfort Assistance
  1. Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front)
  2. Light Design Package
  3. Smoking Package
  4. Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Get rid of the sport chrono and the bose speakers and your build is perfect.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,414 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I like the little clock thingy, have had it in all of my Porsches. Bose costs as much as two tires, and doesn't do any harm, so I figured I'd get it even if it's not used much.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:33 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Is this "Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front)" worth speccing?
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (11-16-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 11:38 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

White dial face. Gives a bit of much needed contrast and brightness to the dark cabin. Also cool how it lights up and changes with ambient light. I have white face on chrono as well. Not sure about that one due to annoying reflection at night.

Leather dashboard end trim. The std plastic pieces look cheap.

Bespoke door sills, if only to spec light in white. Glowing yellow looks ghetto imo. Best if possible to get rid of light altogether.

Last edited by alcc; 11-15-2023 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:40 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I agree about the sport chrono. No one uses it, it's just added weight for questionable aesthetics so not very RS. Bose seems useless too, as most reviews confirm that noise level is too high for enjoying any music. I have yet to listen to the stereo in my 996 GT3 in 10+ years I've owned ir, I hope it works.

What are the pros & cons for the smartphone compartment? How is cellular reception 'optimized' and what 'signal booster'?

Smartphone Compartment

Smartphone compartment in center console for optimized cellular reception and battery-saving operation. It is the customer’s responsibility to register with their wireless service provider prior to using the signal booster.
Note: USB port instead of 12-volt socket in the center console storage compartment. Deletion of AUX port in the glove compartment.

Last edited by hf1; 11-16-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Does it make sense to buy an expensive indulgent car, and then cheap out and skip options which cost much less than 1% of the cost of the car? If you want to control cost, skip the PTS, WP, magnesium wheels, and PCCB.
85Gold (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 08:52 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Does it make sense to buy an expensive indulgent car, and then cheap out and skip options which cost much less than 1% of the cost of the car? If you want to control cost, skip the PTS, WP, magnesium wheels, and PCCB.
It's weight, not cost. Porsche Grams cost a lot to eliminate. Why pay extra to ADD them?
Old 11-16-2023, 08:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
It's weight, not cost. Porsche Grams cost a lot to eliminate. Why pay extra to ADD them?
Added weight of the things I selected is negligible, maybe equal to a gallon of fuel. None of us will notice the difference.
PorschePaul (11-18-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 09:04 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Added weight of the things I selected is negligible, maybe equal to a gallon of fuel. None of us will notice the difference.
I get it. Just trying to cover both sides of the argument. Both weight and costs are negligible.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 915 Posts

I think a couple of days ago a $179k build was referred as a stripper spec....
Mine was $177k
After having it for a whole driving season, I don't feel like I made any bad calls or missed any necessary options.

Shark Blue 3,540.00
Black w/ Arctic Grey Stitching 2,160.00
Weissach Package 13,250.00 (the one extraneous option, but I liked the carbon intakes and spoiler and the Alcantara dash so much better than without; I would skip with Spyder RS)
Front Axle Lift System 3,040.00 (have used this so much more than expected; like every drive)
Deletion of Model Designation on Rear 0.00 (scored "GT4RS" plates instead)
Deletion of Model Designation on Doors 0.00
Smoking Package 0.00
LED Headlights incl. PDLS 1,500.00 (have I driven at night? maybe could have skipped....)
SiriusXM® Antenna 0.00 (kills me when I see the wart)
Chrono Package 310.00 (I think the black plastic dash filler piece looks more out of place than the clock does)
Brake Calipers in High Gloss Black 900.00 (Didn't want to end up with Pink calipers like my other car has...if they turn grey, I think will be less noticable)
Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated 530.00 (for $500 I think they look pretty cool)

Missing:
PTS..would have loved another Green Porsche or maybe Orange, but PTS wasn't available. Shark Blue was the "pop" color alternative
Carbon Brakes.....didn't want to deal w/replacement costs and I don't believe they were actually available; I would probably get with the Spyder RS, seeing no track days.
Mag Wheels....would rather put that money to a second set of wheels. Stock wheels plus good aftermarket wheels and track tires cheaper than Mag Wheels. Actually can do a complete track setup (extra Wheels, Sticky Tires, Rear Toe Links, Front Camber Plates, Alignment, upgraded Rotors/Pads/Fluid), for less than the price of Mag Wheels.
Leather steering wheel column....thought it looked out of place with all the Alcantara/RaceTex dash pieces; would get with the Spyder RS.
Leather everything else....no thanks
BOSE.....didn't see the point based on the reviews of intake. Typically listen to podcasts anyways. Base is fine for all that.
RaceTex sunvisors.....should have done this. Didn't like still had the airbag warnings and planned to do aftermarket. But prob should have just ordered to begin with.
RaceTex steering wheel column, not an option, looks dope, will seek aftermarket
Euro Delivery....I wanted this, submitted it, but was removed about 2 months in due to no availability.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:10 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 130 Posts

Serious question. As I read through all these posts, there seems to be two things people really don't like on their RS builds - Sport Chrono (dash wart) and the Deletion of SiriusXM Antenna (roof wart). I can understand people recommending to stay away from the upgraded Bose stereo, as these are track cars and extremely loud, but other than that, I just don't get it. I especially don't understand the Sport Chrono hate, as it adds the performance display in the PCM, and IMO, adds a nice touch to the interior. Am I missing something here?

It's the same thing with the smoking package and luggage net in passenger footwell. Everyone says you have to check both options because they are free and/or look better. I've had cars with and without both. I personally couldn't care less either way. In fact, I've found the open storage compartment on the center console to be more useful vs. opting for the covered ash tray just to get the smoother look. I've never once used the passenger luggage net, and I rarely have a passenger in my GT car who would use it either. If weight is the justification, wouldn't you skip these options too? Just my $.02.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Is this "Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front)" worth speccing?
At $130, I just ticked the box.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
tyrbo
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has the Sport Chrono. I just thought it looked weird/empty without it when I was comparing the generated images in the configurator.
Deleted SiriusXM Antenna as well.

I also have Bose.
Yes, it's too loud for music if you're constantly sitting at 9K RPM, but driving in the canyons I can't always do that, get stuck behind traffic, etc.
Manifold (11-16-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS