Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 08:32 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The 718 GT4RS is the ultimate be all end all 718, why bother with releasing a lesser 718 AFTER?

The electric 718 replacement is already on testing and validation, once the 718 is done production the electric version will be there.

Again, the 911R isn't really a 'special' car. It was just a beta car to test out the then new gearbox that ultimately went into the GT3s and Touring's. It's hard to '**** off' 918 VIPs by giving them 911Rs to beta test.

Thanks for putting everyone's feet back on the ground before the snowball got too big!
The following users liked this post:
993RR (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:49 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

The 718 GT4RS is the ultimate be all end all 718, why bother with releasing a lesser 718 AFTER?.
Porsche only has so many cars they can produce on the production line in a given period of time. It is a business. Porsche knows best how to make the most money with the production slots available.

A lesser GT4RS could be lighter weight, more of a road car, same engine and transmission, no center lock wheels, slightly more compliant suspension, no long front splitter so FAL not even offered or needed, no rear wing. The R badge, a special color available as the close out model for the 718.
A real money maker for Porsche since it is easy to develop, have high demand and be in short supply, and it would provide a larger profit margin over the GT4RS.

I would have waited for this lesser R? if Porsche even produces it, but I doubt I would be able to get it due to supply and demand.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:11 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Sometimes.., less is more? Lol
Old 12-17-2022, 08:08 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by very green R
Porsche only has so many cars they can produce on the production line in a given period of time. It is a business. Porsche knows best how to make the most money with the production slots available.

A lesser GT4RS could be lighter weight, more of a road car, same engine and transmission, no center lock wheels, slightly more compliant suspension, no long front splitter so FAL not even offered or needed, no rear wing. The R badge, a special color available as the close out model for the 718.
A real money maker for Porsche since it is easy to develop, have high demand and be in short supply, and it would provide a larger profit margin over the GT4RS.

I would have waited for this lesser R? if Porsche even produces it, but I doubt I would be able to get it due to supply and demand.
That's YOUR Wishlist, and a few others here.

Mine would be to start off with a GT4RS, delete the passenger seat, delete all insulation, delete all interior trims and bits, raw metal interior. Bigger gas tank. No gas struts for the front trunk or rear to save even more weight. Carbon doors form the race car, lexan windows. No A/C, no radio/navi. all carbon exterior panels. With full cage. The ultimate no compromise 'R'. A race car for the street as it keep the peddle shift from the race car.

Porsche save even more money building my version as they don't have to fit anything onto the car, and they can even charge more for it.

Porsche isn't readying another new manual gearbox for the 718, there is no point in them doing a 718 'R' to test parts. The 718 line is at the end of the road.

Your version basically exists as the manual GT4, which Porsche already makes, just a little bit less powerful. In Porsche 'speak', people who want manuals aren't going for the ultimate speed, hence why the manual cars are always a step down from the top. If they were actually after the speed, fast part, they would have gone for the faster gearbox to start off with, aka the PDK. This is why you see the top cars are all PDK.

Nothing beats a PDK for driver/car intimacy. You turn with both hands on the wheel feeling the road, the shift peddles are right there at the finger tips, no need to compromise when shifting. The left foot also isn't operating an extra pedal, it can be firmly braced or operating the brake pedal. And the driver is still in perfect control of the shifts if the box is in manual mode. Heck, you could always take your hand off the wheel to shift with the shifter. It's really only missing a clutch pedal. You could always mount a dummy one there so you can exercise the left leg when you use the shifter to shift up or down.

But if one really is dead set on a manual Porsche, I whole heartedly suggest finding a 993, 964 or a 911. it's a manly and heroic thing to master shifting those boxes. Modern boxes not so much, they are too perfect.

The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Dr.Bill (12-17-2022), Jamipurs (01-01-2023), Odin (12-22-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 10:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Mine would be to start off with a GT4RS, delete the passenger seat, delete all insulation, delete all interior trims and bits, raw metal interior. Bigger gas tank. No gas struts for the front trunk or rear to save even more weight. Carbon doors form the race car, lexan windows. No A/C, no radio/navi. all carbon exterior panels. With full cage. The ultimate no compromise 'R'. A race car for the street as it keep the peddle shift from the race car.

Porsche save even more money building my version as they don't have to fit anything onto the car, and they can even charge more for it.

Porsche isn't readying another new manual gearbox for the 718, there is no point in them doing a 718 'R' to test parts. The 718 line is at the end of the road.

Your version basically exists as the manual GT4, which Porsche already makes, just a little bit less powerful. In Porsche 'speak', people who want manuals aren't going for the ultimate speed, hence why the manual cars are always a step down from the top. If they were actually after the speed, fast part, they would have gone for the faster gearbox to start off with, aka the PDK. This is why you see the top cars are all PDK.

Nothing beats a PDK for driver/car intimacy. You turn with both hands on the wheel feeling the road, the shift peddles are right there at the finger tips, no need to compromise when shifting. The left foot also isn't operating an extra pedal, it can be firmly braced or operating the brake pedal. And the driver is still in perfect control of the shifts if the box is in manual mode. Heck, you could always take your hand off the wheel to shift with the shifter. It's really only missing a clutch pedal. You could always mount a dummy one there so you can exercise the left leg when you use the shifter to shift up or down.

But if one really is dead set on a manual Porsche, I whole heartedly suggest finding a 993, 964 or a 911. it's a manly and heroic thing to master shifting those boxes. Modern boxes not so much, they are too perfect.
Sounds like a street legal gt4rs clubsport....I would love one!
Old 12-18-2022, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I’d take one as well. They could keep the street car bits like brakes and suspension so it wouldn’t cost as much as the clubsport but really I just wish they’d make the clubsport “registerable”. I still want a 718R though…..
Old 12-18-2022, 01:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Exactly what it is

Just with higher ride height for the street use.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:29 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
I’d take one as well. They could keep the street car bits like brakes and suspension so it wouldn’t cost as much as the clubsport but really I just wish they’d make the clubsport “registerable”. I still want a 718R though…..
You actually be surprised how much carryover parts the race car has. Major difference is only the brakes, smaller diameter for clearance for slicks. Suspension bits are also carryover except the shocks. My last gen was on 2-way KW, think the current generation retained that.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:21 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey you have me figured out. That is my wish list. And I hope a good marketing/financial decision for Porsche for little engineering time.You are 100% correct, in my book, about the benefits of the PDK over the manual, and Porsche will not do the manual for a limited end of 718 run R version when the EV follows.
But I dig your wish list also. However, a race car for the street has to follow regulations. Crash worthiness becomes an issue with the interior trim not installed, along with carbon fiber for the exterior and lexan windows, and not worth Porsche development teams time for a very limited run.

I have driven my Cayman R purchased new for 66300 miles in 11 years of mountain driving and have had 116 pounds of weight removed during most of that enjoyable mountain driving time. So anyone can make a lesser, lighter weight version of their car if they want. But I have now put it back to stock in case I sell it once my GT4RS arrives, since few people think like I do, and most want a factory stock car.

Weight at 2900 driven onto scale, in non stock form, Lightweight battery, Fabspeed cat back race exhaust, rearward interior trim removed, frunk interior trim removed, cf lwbs in cloth, not leather.
It is fun to speculate what Porsche will do. Only time will tell the correct answer.

Last edited by very green R; 12-18-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Porsche2014 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 03:25 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,301 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by RapidGT:
008 (12-19-2022), pfbz (12-19-2022), rooster17 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 03:41 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by very green R
Hey you have me figured out. That is my wish list. And I hope a good marketing/financial decision for Porsche for little engineering time.You are 100% correct, in my book, about the benefits of the PDK over the manual, and Porsche will not do the manual for a limited end of 718 run R version when the EV follows.
But I dig your wish list also. However, a race car for the street has to follow regulations. Crash worthiness becomes an issue with the interior trim not installed, along with carbon fiber for the exterior and lexan windows, and not worth Porsche development teams time for a very limited run.

I have driven my Cayman R purchased new for 66300 miles in 11 years of mountain driving and have had 116 pounds of weight removed during most of that enjoyable mountain driving time. So anyone can make a lesser, lighter weight version of their car if they want. But I have now put it back to stock in case I sell it once my GT4RS arrives, since few people think like I do, and most want a factory stock car.

Weight at 2900 driven onto scale, in non stock form, Lightweight battery, Fabspeed cat back race exhaust, rearward interior trim removed, frunk interior trim removed, cf lwbs in cloth, not leather.
It is fun to speculate what Porsche will do. Only time will tell the correct answer.
The weight lost, more so than manual vs PDK, is more important in transforming a car into a driver's car. You were on the right track.

My Wishlist is a bit extreme, I know. The lexan windows can be substituted for thinner glass which Porsche had been doing. The interior padding rule is mostly an American thing, your laws are still written for unbelted occupancy 'safety'. For a belted person, there is no chance of them hitting the roll cage behind the seat in a collision, or unpadded sections on the passenger side. But those laws were the reason why Porsche won't copy BMW and just do a Mickey Mouse foam tub pad on the roll cage hence why we don't get the factory cage in North America.

I love my GT4CS, it's not the lightest weight race car but there is enough of a difference between it and the regular street car to make a major difference. My 1st gen only has the weak 385hp engine, but I had no problem chasing and passing high hp street cars on my track. Many times I got blown by on the straights but not 3 corners later I would be right on that car's behind and after passing I would not see that car again, rinse and repeat.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
008 (12-19-2022), very green R (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 04:20 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Top Gear's GT4RS vs GT3RS.

The GT4RS is so much more livelier and more driver's car.
porscheflat6 (02-09-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 05:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT

"On the count of three, say it... GT4 RS!"

Last edited by pfbz; 12-19-2022 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
Jamipurs (01-01-2023), Odin (12-22-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 06:08 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Has Porsche overshot? Obviously the 3rs for ultimate pace, but when journalists are taking the "just a cayman" 4rs over the high and mighty 3rs... But then I guess it can't steal sales if its a last of its kind thing, in limited numbers. Good for them, letting the car finally stretch its legs.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Think of it like this, the GT3RS is like a bottle of 50 year old whiskey, the best. But most of the time, a bottle of 18 is plenty good enough.

The following 4 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
alexlude (12-19-2022), JAhmed (12-20-2022), MechEngr1287 (12-21-2022), NastyHabits (12-19-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS