Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 03:26 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not in the least. It looks like a mock up test mule, rather than a refined finished product. It appears that they spent zero time trying to design an RS treatment consistent with the lines of the Cayman, and instead just slapped on **** they had in the 991 RS parts bin. And forgot to paint it. I think the car’s a beast, but it looks like ***.
I agree. The performance and hopefully sound will be awesome but the styling... ugh. That wing looks like a messy shoe rack and the endless patches of black either plastic or carbon-fiber ruins the flow of the lines. It looks like a cheaply tunned GT4. I wish they had simply made the wheel fenders wider, OK with the front wheel fender aero (not the cut-out!) but really? that's precisely the piece that is plastic and not CF? wider tires, new window-intake is good as it is, similar style wing to the one on the GT4 (bigger, taller, whatever, but not such mess). The bumper aero-curtain in plastic is also a cheap mess...

I hope these are not the lines to take for a future Spyder RS

Last edited by IRM; 11-24-2021 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:51 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

But I thought all these cars were headed straight to the track to be ‘thrashed all day!!! ‘….
I'll track the hell out of mine.
The following 4 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Dan Nagy (11-24-2021), MrGT (11-25-2021), porscheflat6 (11-24-2021), Sean in Texas (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:05 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
I agree. The performance and hopefully sound will be awesome but the styling... ugh. That wing looks like a messy shoe rack and the endless patches of black either plastic or carbon-fiber ruins the flow of the lines. It looks like a cheaply tunned GT4. I wish they had simply made the wheel fenders wider, OK with the front wheel fender aero (not the cut-out!) but really? that's precisely the piece that is plastic and not CF? wider tires, new window-intake is good as it is, similar style wing to the one on the GT4 (bigger, taller, whatever, but not such mess). The bumper aero-curtain in plastic is also a cheap mess...

I hope these are not the lines to take for a future Spyder RS
Hopefully you do understand the efficiency gains going with a swan neck top mount vs the regular underside mount given a similar surface area wing. There is a reason why modern race cars use the swan neck top mount.

The height of the wing is also determined not only by downforce it is also related to the drag that can be created by the air that flows under the wing along with the laminar flow of the air that goes over the hatch.

The GT4 RS has the same exact tire sizes as the GT4 (yes that is an issue, it should have used wider tires instead of just going with MPSC2 R's).

If you don't like the black bits talk to Porsche Exclusive and see if they can get those pieces painted to match the body color.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:18 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,018 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Yes, yes, it's a bad car, no one should order it. Cancel your pre-orders please, everyone. PM me the name of your dealer too, I will make sure no one else makes the mistake of buying this misfit car.
Yes!

I love seeing all the negative comments. The more negativity that proliferates around this thing will hopefully drive down the hype…and I can finally have a chance to get it.

Less people interested = more chance for me.

Keep it up, folks. Spread the word, please.
The following 2 users liked this post by KelvinC:
halfmonkey (11-24-2021), MrGT (11-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:19 AM
IRM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Hopefully you do understand the efficiency gains going with a swan neck top mount vs the regular underside mount given a similar surface area wing. There is a reason why modern race cars use the swan neck top mount.

The height of the wing is also determined not only by downforce it is also related to the drag that can be created by the air that flows under the wing along with the laminar flow of the air that goes over the hatch.

The GT4 RS has the same exact tire sizes as the GT4 (yes that is an issue, it should have used wider tires instead of just going with MPSC2 R's).

If you don't like the black bits talk to Porsche Exclusive and see if they can get those pieces painted to match the body color.
Aerospace Engineer here. You can have a much nicer swan neck wing there or improve the diffusor if you don;t want to overdo the wing. I don't think this is a compromise but what Porsche has decided to go with. Even the upcoming humongous wing on the new 3RS looks cleaner.

Yeah well, going through Porsche Exclusive to undo what was not necessary to do in the first place at a ridiculous cost. I wonder if they did not do it on purpose...
Old 11-24-2021, 04:37 AM
panmric
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
Yes!

I love seeing all the negative comments. The more negativity that proliferates around this thing will hopefully drive down the hype…and I can finally have a chance to get it.

Less people interested = more chance for me.

Keep it up, folks. Spread the word, please.
hhhh, you are right, but I don't know why they are so excited to make their opinions, sound like they are pretty angry.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:40 AM
IRM
Racer

Originally Posted by panmric
hhhh, you are right, but I don't know why they are so excited to make their opinions, sound like they are pretty angry.
hahaha try again mate
Old 11-24-2021, 04:55 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
Aerospace Engineer here. You can have a much nicer swan neck wing there or improve the diffusor if you don;t want to overdo the wing. I don't think this is a compromise but what Porsche has decided to go with. Even the upcoming humongous wing on the new 3RS looks cleaner.

Yeah well, going through Porsche Exclusive to undo what was not necessary to do in the first place at a ridiculous cost. I wonder if they did not do it on purpose...
Are you referring to the shape of the rear wing with the droopy ends? If that is the case, I agree that it is not aesthetically pleasing. Would much prefer the shape of the 992 GT3, 992 GT3 Cup car wing or even the 718 GT4 RS CS wing without the gurneys.

IMHO The 992 GT3 RS wing is ridiculously looking for a street legal track car, and the way that it mounts to the rear engine cover is not aesthetically pleasing either. Prefer the 992 GT3 Cup car location for the wing uprights and about the same height as the Cup car wing. Then again the 992 GT3 RS will be all about laptimes, regardless of how over the top that car looks. It is the first RS that I am not too fond of visually.

Guess it would be possible to extend the rear diffuser a little further back but need to make sure that there are no issues with approach angles and rear clearance as well as not having it extend past the rear bumper in order to be able to meet vehicle standards.

PAG is PAG, all about profits so would not be surprised either, but then again the 991.1/991.2 RS's had black bits here and there on the bodywork.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 11-24-2021 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:07 AM
panmric
Instructor

Originally Posted by IRM

Funny, but the fender you are talking about earlier is almost the same on 3RS.
Emmm, maybe they are also not really working on 3RS? I think AP should fire some engineers, they are just doing copy and paste all the time.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:11 AM
IRM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Are you referring to the shape of the rear wing with the droopy ends? If that is the case, I agree that it is not aesthetically pleasing. Would much prefer the shape of the 992 GT3, 992 GT3 Cup car wing or even the 718 GT4 RS CS wing without the gurneys.
Yes. Agreed.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:32 AM
IRM
Racer

Funny, but the fender you are talking about earlier is almost the same on 3RS.
Emmm, maybe they are also not really working on 3RS? I think AP should fire some engineers, they are just doing copy and paste all the time.
WOW someone criticizing the aesthetics of your future car really got under your skin huh.

If you read well, imo the aero on the front wheel fenders is OK to my taste. My complaint in that particular piece comes from the fact I would have preferred the inlets in CF rather than black plastic and given the tons of CF pieces already present in the car it's interesting this particular one is not. The cut-out... I am really not a fan but they are not present in the 3RS either so don't apply to your point.

You love it? Great for you. I honestly don't, and many people think similarly. Get over it or it may taint your experience
Old 11-24-2021, 06:15 AM
panmric
Instructor

Originally Posted by IRM
WOW someone criticizing the aesthetics of your future car really got under your skin huh.

If you read well, imo the aero on the front wheel fenders is OK to my taste. My complaint in that particular piece comes from the fact I would have preferred the inlets in CF rather than black plastic and given the tons of CF pieces already present in the car it's interesting this particular one is not. The cut-out... I am really not a fan but they are not present in the 3RS either so don't apply to your point.

You love it? Great for you. I honestly don't, and many people think similarly. Get over it or it may taint your experience
Haha, so why would it taint your experience?
I assume you should just relax man, don't be so serious abt these comments on the Internet, thus making them taint your experience.

Last edited by panmric; 11-24-2021 at 06:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrGT (11-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:51 AM
IRM
Racer

Haha, so why would it taint your experience?
I assume you should just relax man, don't be so serious abt these comments on the Internet, thus making them taint your experience.
You are making nonsense now and this thread is too good to mess it up. I will enjoy sharing my thoughts on the GT4RS whether you like them or not
Old 11-24-2021, 08:13 AM
sleepin'gt
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Then you didn’t spec them similarly. There’s still a sizable gap between the price.
i did top specs for both... 992 gt3 doesn't have WP/mag wheels that drive up the price and with PTS both came at 235k ish with GT3 only a few thousand more.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:54 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'll track the hell out of mine.
me too, that is where all my P-GT cars spend most of there time.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS