Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:18 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Agree.....but maybe because design
Originally Posted by 993RR
& brilliant marketing, perception ahead of reality.
Yes and Porsche brand equity which in everyone's mind has been built to mean racing history, quality, etc... I totally get it.

I'm just looking at z06 and thinking there has been a potential paradigm shift. You cram such immense value and desirability into a car, give it an engine which beats Ferrari at their own game, AND you derive it directly from a winning racing car (c8.R).. and suddenly, like a shiba-inu market cornering whale, GM may have just turned the tables. For me, I'm now more excited about incoming Z06 than GT3 Touring ATM. I mean I'm genuinely childishly exuberant about my z06 allocation.. Incoming Porsche GT product, yea that's cool.. but faaaack that z06 feels like I just got access to Hypercar land for some reason and can't sleep at night. I'm all thinking how z06 will sound screaming around Laguna Seca at full volume as a pace car for my event next year... that kind of excitement.

Maybe it's transitory, but GM have pulled off something amazing this time. (Still fugly IMO but don't care.. can't see ugly when you're driving )
Attached Images       

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-27-2021 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wail junkie (10-30-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:25 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

All Porsche GT cars are heavily hyped by Porsche and us fans/buyers, and the 4RS is no exception.
The following users liked this post:
alwaysdriving (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

The Z06 is a strong bang for your buck option...no doubt...buuuuttt......I would skip this first batch and see how it goes.
I like going to the track and not having to worry about my car the next day. Also the styling......that's the killer for me and they tend to change things over the production run which accentuates depreciation even more.
They bench marked Porsche and Ferrari but only in numbers and performance......reliability we will see....styling they juts did the same old GM teenager design, thumbs down for me on this one.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
alwaysdriving (10-27-2021), phefner (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:39 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Way too angle-y, for my tastes. I prefer more flowing designs. I have never been a fan of the cadillac styling reinvention, and this seems to follow in that vein. I don't think edgy styles age well, either, typically. I'm getting back into the Porsche game mostly because the latest spyder caught my eye as gorgeous.

As with driving...curves for the win.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm just looking at z06 and thinking there has been a potential paradigm shift.(Still fugly IMO but don't care.. can't see ugly when you're driving )
The tables have turned for sure from a spec to cost perspective. How long this is important is to be seen, with all the chat about moving away from ICE. Not sure we've figured out the game changers when it comes to an all EV driving experience.

You are right, that rear end isn't visible! haha.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:32 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

Well, with the GT4RS ADM I'm being told to expect (opening bid), you could get a GT4 and Z06 for the all-in cost of a GT4RS; and have budget left over for some upgrades plus a few seasons of tires and brake consumables.

GT4RS seems to be zooming off to be nothing more than a garage or collectors trophy. Maybe it always was going to be that way. How naive of me I guess.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:36 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,642 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Well, with the GT4RS ADM I'm being told to expect (opening bid), you could get a GT4 and Z06 for the all-in cost of a GT4RS; and have budget left over for some upgrades plus a few seasons of tires and brake consumables.

GT4RS seems to be zooming off to be nothing more than a garage or collectors trophy. Maybe it always was going to be that way. How naive of me I guess.
The flaw in above is assuming you can get a GT4 or Z06 at MSRP…lol.

Did you see the ADMs base C8s were going for…and perhaps still are?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:39 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The Z06 is a strong bang for your buck option...no doubt...buuuuttt......I would skip this first batch and see how it goes.
I like going to the track and not having to worry about my car the next day. Also the styling......that's the killer for me and they tend to change things over the production run which accentuates depreciation even more.
They bench marked Porsche and Ferrari but only in numbers and performance......reliability we will see....styling they juts did the same old GM teenager design, thumbs down for me on this one.
history of branding is mostly repetitive.
Zo6 in C6 and C7s has issues especially with first patchs.
but this last revision to it made it looks beautiful ,to look at and to own and to drive.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:46 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm excited too, was hoping they would discard the golf club compartment in the Z06, but the rear looks better nonetheless.
Maybe body color side strakes and spoilers would tone down the ugly.
Loved my C4 for what it was, leaking windows and all.
I'll get one and keep my manual GT4, best of both, and if I ever ball it up at the track I won't have to fight to get another one.
I don't pay ADM for watches or cars, so it may be awhile.

Last edited by d00d; 10-27-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:19 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

can't see ugly when you're driving
Not quite true... Still see the cabin. But one of the things I disliked about my C8 was complete lack of steering feel... Now this has been disappearing on everything including Porsche's for some time, but it seemed particularly detached on the C8. They have an electronic adjustment that control's feel, but all it really does is decrease the electronic steering boost... IMHO it was Numb and stiff, numb and medium, numb and soft.

Originally Posted by d00d
I'm excited too, was hoping they would discard the golf club compartment in the Z06, but the rear looks better nonetheless.
Maybe body color side strakes and spoilers would tone down the ugly..
​​​​​​​Drives me crazy that being able to tote golf clubs was a design requirement must-have on the C8, and IMHO that extra 10" just kills it from a styling perspective.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Drives me crazy that being able to tote golf clubs was a design requirement must-have on the C8, and IMHO that extra 10" just kills it from a styling perspective.
On the C5 Z06, they made a notch-back design instead of the standard car's hatch. Did this mean no golf clubs? Wish they went with a lighter/smaller/stiffer version without targa top or golf club room...
Old 10-27-2021, 05:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I don't know man, the targa top is such a clutch thing.. to be able to have a coupe and open air car in one is HUGE value. Amd even better.. you can still see the engine through the glass on the coupe. I can't think of anything better than being able to hear that exhaust and basically convertible car experience, while having coupe benefits and aesthetics. Worth the size to fit it in trunk IMO.

The golf club part is just .. meh. Catering to the previous generations out of fear of losing them.

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-27-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:22 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
On the C5 Z06, they made a notch-back design instead of the standard car's hatch. Did this mean no golf clubs? Wish they went with a lighter/smaller/stiffer version without targa top or golf club room...

We are talking GM here.....they did a lot of good this time but still have to do those little things
Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Yup, I agree. I was hoping for a fixed roof in either carbon fiber or magnesium, as a true track focused car should have.

Fun fact since my first Corvette was the 00' Hard Top (pre Z06), the hard top Z06 version was originally supposed to be the budget entry of the C5 Corvette, but they ended up going the opposite direction and making it the track focused Z06 instead.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:30 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,642 Likes on 2,071 Posts

No, the C5Z had a regular trunk that you could fit clubs in. It was actually an open space into the cockpit.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS