Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Unfortunately, not true. It depends on State law. Here in California, it's refundable right up to purchase. Other states, once the order is placed it can be non-refundable.

I just put a $10k deposit down out of State, non-refundable after build lock date, which I'm totally fine with.
Let me guess, in Georgia?
Old 04-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
I see, good to know. Youre in CA?
Yes, but this dealer is not.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:52 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
They are not flexing and say that has been their policy for over 7 yrs on all custom ordered cars.
I’m not even ordering any weird PTS or CXX stuff.
Approximately 10% deposit !
depends on your region. In the many US states that would be illegal but not Canada (I’m told). Order deposits vary from the dealer from $1K to 10%. But 10% is definitely on the extreme end, and would be very unusual in the US for a not-pts car, or frankly a 718 at all. mostly I heard about 10% from European dealers who had near monopolies in small countries. Play ball or go home stuff.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Let me guess, in Georgia?
No, not Georgia. Western U.S.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:50 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

I’m in CA, I put a 10K deposit and signed paperwork that has a very rigid language that the deposit is not refundable. This is the first time a CA dealer made me do this on a custom ordered car. I signed it because I was 100% sure that I want to buy the car.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheMeister42 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:53 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 600 Posts

I have never paid a deposit on any car I ordered , Porsche and other brands. I also order 90 % of my cars . Having said that , I have great relationship with dealers , but I have bought ordered cars with no dealer relationship and no deposit was paid .
on the other hand, never backed out of any car I ordered
Old 04-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by rzspyder
I’m in CA, I put a 10K deposit and signed paperwork that has a very rigid language that the deposit is not refundable. This is the first time a CA dealer made me do this on a custom ordered car. I signed it because I was 100% sure that I want to buy the car.
Similar to me, except my deposit was my pristine low mileage 2016 Boxster GTS (last July)... yep a serious deposit from a committed buyer!
Old 04-24-2020, 05:07 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Just was told by another neighboring dealer that they typically ask for $1000-2500 down. He found the $10k for an in demand and reasonable build very unusual as well.
SA also told me that a new round of allocations was to be released this week. He is waiting.
So, interested folks may be getting calls from their dealers very soon. Should be plenty to go around due to CV.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:43 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Just was told by another neighboring dealer that they typically ask for $1000-2500 down. He found the $10k for an in demand and reasonable build very unusual as well.
SA also told me that a new round of allocations was to be released this week. He is waiting.
So, interested folks may be getting calls from their dealers very soon. Should be plenty to go around due to CV.
It might be unusual, it might be on the right or wrong side of the law but trying to put myself into the shoes of the business owner... if you lock a build the dealer is assuming risk as they own that car now. If (extreme example) you order a yellow car with sport classic interior... they may have to take a 10k bath on the car. Now it’s debatable as to the risk for something more “mainstream” in terms of build spec, but they probably set their policy to align with a worst case scenario so no interpretation or assessment of saleability is needed. Arguably it is on the steep side but I wouldn’t say the dealer is unscrupulous for such a thing.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheMeister42 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:49 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
It might be unusual, it might be on the right or wrong side of the law but trying to put myself into the shoes of the business owner... if you lock a build the dealer is assuming risk as they own that car now. If (extreme example) you order a yellow car with sport classic interior... they may have to take a 10k bath on the car. Now it’s debatable as to the risk for something more “mainstream” in terms of build spec, but they probably set their policy to align with a worst case scenario so no interpretation or assessment of saleability is needed. Arguably it is on the steep side but I wouldn’t say the dealer is unscrupulous for such a thing.
I agree Mr JR as a business owner. But curious my buy in was still only 1k you? I ask as we share the same...
Old 04-24-2020, 06:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

While it's admirable and the way to go, in California, by law the deposit is refundable until you actually sign the purchase contract on the car and the deposit agreement that you signed does not constitute a purchase contract. Just an FYI. On the flip side, technically, legally, a dealer in California doesn't have to deliver a car either, regardless of deposits, builds, etc. The law cuts both ways.

I've only had to put down $2,500 on cars in the past, but had no problem putting more down.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
I agree Mr JR as a business owner. But curious my buy in was still only 1k you? I ask as we share the same...
Is that a question or statement? Frankly the deposit amount matters not to me as I plan on taking ownership of this car not balking... and blasting down the sweet straight coastline of Lake Ontario whilst Air Supply throbs out of my Bose Premium audio.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:52 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While it's admirable and the way to go, in California, by law the deposit is refundable until you actually sign the purchase contract on the car and the deposit agreement that you signed does not constitute a purchase contract. Just an FYI. On the flip side, technically, legally, a dealer in California doesn't have to deliver a car either, regardless of deposits, builds, etc. The law cuts both ways.

I've only had to put down $2,500 on cars in the past, but had no problem putting more down.
Interesting. The contract that I signed literally specifies in writing that the deposit is non-refundable and there is no cooling off period. I don’t intend to break that contract, but it’s nice to know whether this document holds any legal value.
Moreover, I’m one of those (hopefully few) people who had to agree to pay ADM in the Bay Area. When I was looking, I called every dealer I could think of and no one was going to even consider adding me to their waiting list. Every one of them said their waiting list is full for the entire run of these cars. Found a few that wanted 10% ADM, and I said no. At the end found a dealer and negotiated a 5K ADM.
Now it’s kind of hard to see cars sitting in the lots at MSRP, but hey, at least I’m getting the car that I customized and that extra 5K is just bad luck/timing that I had.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Is that a question or statement? Frankly the deposit amount matters not to me as I plan on taking ownership of this car not balking... and blasting down the sweet straight coastline of Lake Ontario whilst Air Supply throbs out of my Bose Premium audio.
you? yes a curious ? No balk here I like to play fair, I'm all in as well. Not my first ride at the allocation rodeo but my buy in ticket has never been 10k. I'm into blind faith but just like a lower pre-admission bar. Actually no $ changed hands till I locked hope the same for you. I will see you in the 416 one day hopefully heading in the same direction. Cheers JR
Old 04-25-2020, 09:14 AM
6cylinder
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Up here on the northern shores of Lake Ontario, I put down $1000 deposit, refundable in 2017. (Yes, before the car was announced. Because I missed the 981 and didn't want to miss the 718 GT4 if they built it.) Then, $5000 further with offer of allocation in 2019, non-refundable. Paid MSRP.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker