Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 03:30 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Montana has no sales tax and no vehicle inspection. You only need a legal name to register it to: in most cases, an LLC. You pay a lawyer in Montana to register it, and you register the car in Montana under that LLC avoiding the large state tax on purchase if it were done in California (or other states).

This is largely done with higher priced cars because of how much you save by doing this...
You're going to be driving around on Montana plates. You could be given a lot of hell if your driver's license shows residence in state X when you're pulled.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:35 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
You're going to be driving around on Montana plates. You could be given a lot of hell if your driver's license shows residence in state X when you're pulled.
I'm not saying I'd do it, nor anything about someone getting harassed or not - just what/why someone registers in Montana.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:42 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
Fun cars available, V200 for all. If something else is wanted, can probably get. All with the understanding we're experiencing COVID and cannot promise firm delivery dates. Can promise allocations and Commission numbers. No Montana deals unless you live there....pay tax to your state like everyone else does.

- (4) GT4 allocations available, MSRP. Two May, one June, one July.

- (2) Turbo S Cabriolet (992) MSRP. Two July

- (3) Taycan 4S (immediate order placement ability, no wait outside of COVID) MSRP. Two April, One May.

- (1) Taycan Turbo (immediate order placement ability, no wait outside of COVID) MSRP. One May.

Any discounts/ extra perks on Spyder or GT4?
Sold my 997 relatively easily , without even an ad. Now on the prowl for my next ride.
Spyder vs a 991.2 Targa/ cab GTS.
PM me if you have anything to offer. Another friend also in need of a Spyder.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:52 PM
blackholescion
Pro

I'm not saying I'd do it, nor anything about someone getting harassed or not - just what/why someone registers in Montana.
It was a collective you to further emphasize the point of why it's not entirely advisable.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Montana has no sales tax and no vehicle inspection. You only need a legal name to register it to: in most cases, an LLC. You pay a lawyer in Montana to register it, and you register the car in Montana under that LLC avoiding the large state tax on purchase if it were done in California (or other states). This is largely done with higher priced cars because of how much you save by doing this...
Saving taxes would be nice, in Canada there are some pretty big differences between provinces, but not much you can do to avoid it on a new car, they all watch for this!

Still amazed that you guys don't have tighter controls on plates and insurance in the US, as soon as you move you are supposed to change this, and when you renew your insurance you must change this, the plates in Canada expire when your insurance does and IIRC all jurisdictions have nice big decals that have the day/month/year of expiration, and the best part, without an insurance renewal there is no new decal for the plate!
Old 04-17-2020, 04:06 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Saving taxes would be nice, in Canada there are some pretty big differences between provinces, but not much you can do to avoid it on a new car, they all watch for this!

Still amazed that you guys don't have tighter controls on plates and insurance in the US, as soon as you move you are supposed to change this, and when you renew your insurance you must change this, the plates in Canada expire when your insurance does and IIRC all jurisdictions have nice big decals that have the day/month/year of expiration, and the best part, without an insurance renewal there is no new decal for the plate!
You're supposed to change it here too. States have a window of time (90 days, 6 months, a year, whatever). However, if you can receive mail in a state, all bets are off. DMVs have wised up and require proof of address when titling but not necessarily for renewed registrations. It varies significantly. The Montana thing lets you register a car as owned by an LLC with a PO box or physical address for service that takes care of this for you. Since it's an LLC, there's no proof needed.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You're supposed to change it here too. States have a window of time (90 days, 6 months, a year, whatever). However, if you can receive mail in a state, all bets are off. DMVs have wised up and require proof of address when titling but not necessarily for renewed registrations. It varies significantly. The Montana thing lets you register a car as owned by an LLC with a PO box or physical address for service that takes care of this for you. Since it's an LLC, there's no proof needed.
That covers the title but what insurance, it appears that there are many states that don't enforce this as a requirement!?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
If your curious about that you should check out a double irish dutch sandwich
As long as it is a diet sandwich, with all of the stay home time I will need to find more weight saving options for my car!
Old 04-17-2020, 10:24 PM
blackholescion
Pro

That covers the title but what insurance, it appears that there are many states that don't enforce this as a requirement!?
insurance and registration state must match. Again, proving it once and so forth. Just don’t wreck your car and need repairs.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

insurance and registration state must match. Again, proving it once and so forth. Just don’t wreck your car and need repairs.
So am I reading the right, they check it once at time of sale and never again? So you can drive around uninsured?
Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 AM
blackholescion
Pro

So am I reading the right, they check it once at time of sale and never again? So you can drive around uninsured?
That was in reference to getting insurance in the first place. Once you get insurance, you can renew ad nauseum without proof of residence. I've never once been asked for proof of residence even with updated insurance quotes. Everything is moving digital too so other than initial packet, you get all your insurance cards on your phone.

You can definitely drive around without insurance though. NC for example mandates uninsured/underinsured coverage. There's enough people who don't have insurance that it becomes a problem. Police here do look up your insurance during a traffic stop and depending on the state that could be a fine + short license suspension or registration suspension (NC it's 30 days registration suspension, other states, 6 months or a year). Very few states will impound your car. If you do it enough, you will get a criminal record so there's that. If your registration is suspended, you could hop in your friends uninsured car and keep driving. Here's a state by state breakdown:

https://www.carinsurance.com/driving...ies-state.aspx
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 11:40 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Not really. You could say you have a ranch in Montana and that is where this car is primarily kept.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:24 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

This morning I was offered four GT4s and four Spyders that others walked away from.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you are still looking for one.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
This morning I was offered four GT4s and four Spyders that others walked away from.

Quite a bit of that going around.
I am actively in the market, as I’ve sold my ride, but feel foolish to pay full sticker (without much else).
If anyone wants to offer even low single digit discounts (on Spyder), let me know. Marginally Lower profit is better than none. Stagnant inventory or allocations help no one.
It is definitely a buyer’s market now, whether you like it or not!
Old 04-18-2020, 02:50 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker