Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 04:53 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Delete... double post
Old 01-19-2020, 05:51 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would have thought that anyone who is considering a Spyder would be doing so knowing that it is a convertible? just kidding!

As for the buckets, those are optional anyway, simply take the regular seats and save a bunch of money.
Hah, it took buying my first convertible to understand that I'm not a convertible guy.

And yeah, I think if I end up going for a GTS 4.0 I might stick with the sports seats plus, depending on what they end up offering.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:02 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Hah, it took buying my first convertible to understand that I'm not a convertible guy.

And yeah, I think if I end up going for a GTS 4.0 I might stick with the sports seats plus, depending on what they end up offering.
Every sports car I ever owned was a convertible. Then some of friends and SA talked me in to a coupe “coupe is stiffer, better at track, looks better, etc.” So traded my Spyder for a GTS coupe. Well that didn’t last long. Traded it in after less then 2 years for current GT4 Spyder. For me, you can’t beat the visceral experience of top down - even when just cruising or at a stop light. It’s like a motorcycle less the helmet. It magnifies the sports experience for me and will never go back to coupe in another sports car. Also I store car in winter anyway and drive it as a “ weekender” and “road tripper” in the summer. This one I think I will bring to Florida with me in the winters.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

So true, you can listen to what people say but you have to experience it for yourself, some love it others don't, at least you tried it with a used car before signing a contract on a Spyder.

For a good primer on what will be available on the GTS 4.0 head over to the UK Porsche site and build one, things will not be an exact translation to the US offering but it will give you a good idea.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:25 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

You can use the international configurator
https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...04&option5=480
Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Every sports car I ever owned was a convertible. Then some of friends and SA talked me in to a coupe “coupe is stiffer, better at track, looks better, etc.” So traded my Spyder for a GTS coupe. Well that didn’t last long. Traded it in after less then 2 years for current GT4 Spyder. For me, you can’t beat the visceral experience of top down - even when just cruising or at a stop light. It’s like a motorcycle less the helmet. It magnifies the sports experience for me and will never go back to coupe in another sports car. Also I store car in winter anyway and drive it as a “ weekender” and “road tripper” in the summer. This one I think I will bring to Florida with me in the winters.
I have had a few non-convertible sports cars but they paled to involve and excite me like the Boxster has, my motorcycle was a blast but with the Boxster I can share the experience with my passenger in a way not possible on 2 wheels.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:33 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Maybe you just picked the wrong first convertible. The manual spyder top can become a pain in locations with more than one season. The LW buckets add extra hassle if you have to get in&out of them to both open and close the top. Plus they aren’t heated.

The 4.0 Boxster GTS solves all these problems. It even makes the LWB’s more palatable with its auto-top, though the 2-way sports seats plus are plenty good for my backroads and they come heated. The German configurator even shows heated steering wheel as an option on the 4.0 GTS.

For me too a roadster is the perfect backroads weapon. The open top sounds, smells, and wind are to good to pass. And I have a 996 GT3 which I love for different reasons.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:52 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

I still like the manual roof on the Spyder - fits in with car and as I only drive it in fair weather. I have had power roofs on all my convertibles, so I see the attraction. And it’s cool on remote to open it while you are sitting on a patio for dinner and can prep car to let the heat out when you do that. But I think in over the 25 years i owned convertibles I was only caught in a surprise shower a few times (those pop up thunderstorms or when the weather person was off their game). But I guess we will see if I find it a PITA or part of the Spyder experience
Old 01-19-2020, 07:05 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

For me, never liked the standard Boxster. It’s always looked odd design wise... actually have never liked any convertible that is flat rear trunk. That is me though and I understand others like the look. I personally LOVE the Spyder visual! Porsche does too as they wouldn’t have used it for their last two super cars if they didn’t otherwise!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
For me, never liked the standard Boxster. It’s always looked odd design wise... actually have never liked any convertible that is flat rear trunk. That is me though and I understand others like the look. I personally LOVE the Spyder visual! Porsche does too as they wouldn’t have used it for their last two super cars if they didn’t otherwise!
My thoughts exactly. I don’t see myself in a Boxster. tSubjective but just on looks alone I walk into the Porsche showroom and see Boxster GTS 4.0 and a Gt4 Spyder side by side I know which one I would ask for the keys for, before even seeing interior, the buckets, never mind the GT chassis and how well it drives. So for me, first thing is visual appeal. I want a topless ME car with stick with a NASP and that looks like a race car. Porsche is only company making a car that ticks these boxes. People should get the car that they want and factor in what works for them. I get it - some don’t want the PITA roof and for some there is merit in that and therefore can rationalize saving some money. But agree with you on flat back - the back, front, and side profile don’t do it for me. Spyder just seems more aggressive and race car like. The good thing is Porsche are making models for everyone and everyone has different tastes. You should get what you want and works for you.
n4v4nod (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 07:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Yes, beauty is subjective. I prefer the cleaner, leaner roadster look of the Boxster body. The Spyder humps visually add bulk and heft to the rear and they are all form and no function. The Speedster amplifies this effect to grotesque levels, imo, of course.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:00 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I find the 987 Spyder top to be quite charming. It’s true to the Spyder mind set. It really doesn’t take that much more time to take up or down. Looks fantastic.

I live in the PNW and it doesn’t bother me at all. Has anyone else noticed that when you’re in Europe they take their tops down even in threatening weather?
n4v4nod (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 08:04 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, beauty is subjective. I prefer the cleaner, leaner roadster look of the Boxster body. The Spyder humps visually add bulk and heft to the rear and they are all form and no function. The Speedster amplifies this effect to grotesque levels, imo, of course.
Yes totally subjective- I see the humps and GT3 front and side curtain aero giving it a more muscular and aggressive masculine look. Just beautiful. But again, when I went to a few Ferrari socials some loved the look of 360 Ferrari while others liked the look of 430. I liked 360 better because I didn’t like the air scoops on 430 so I bought it. But of the series 458 Spyder is my favourite and if they offered manual I think I would have got that instead of GT4 Spyder. Again all subjective.
n4v4nod (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 08:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Yes totally subjective- I see the humps and GT3 front and side curtain aero giving it a more muscular and aggressive masculine look. Just beautiful. But again, when I went to a few Ferrari socials some loved the look of 360 Ferrari while others liked the look of 430. I liked 360 better because I didn’t like the air scoops on 430 so I bought it. But of the series 458 Spyder is my favourite and if they offered manual I think I would have got that instead of GT4 Spyder. Again all subjective.
Now that you mentioned it, I compared the 718 Spyder and GTS 4.0 looks side by side. The Spyder front does look much better. Would have been too much to ask for an actual auto-top Spyder without bits taken away here and there, I guess. Porsche had to keep the Spyder at the top, one way or another. That 20hp “choke”, come on...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

You are right, GT4/Spyder should have been 450 HP and proper gearing but again what does that do to their sports car line up. The 911 is the face of the brand, not Cayman or GT4. So I understand their rationale - but doesn’t mean I agree with it. Either way, the 4.0 GTS is one hell of a car. I loved my 981 Cayman GTS - I can tell you if you gave me an ultimatum to choose between my 360 Spyder and that car it would be very close. One auto journalist called the 981 Cayman GTS the modern day Dino - I think a hell of an analogy- it was that good. Whether you are getting a Boxster 4.0 or a Spyder, you are getting a car that no other manufacturer makes. You have to tip your hat to Porsche for that. There going to be unique in a paddle shift - and quickly a hybrid electric world.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker