Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020 | 11:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by DWD
Hey guys new to the thread. I read every post since July 2019. I live in SoCal and put a deposit down and waiting for my car to arrive in the Spring time. It's been a process so far but my dealer is asking $15K ADM. I called around and it was pretty standard in 2 Counties. Almost like they all agreed on an amount in this market. Is there typically any movement on this markup or do I just eat crow? Really dont wanna start the allocation process again and go out of State.
Paying an ADM on a GT4 or Spyder is nuts to me. These are cool cars and all, but not at $15k over sticker. In California, that also adds another $1,500 in additional TTL and higher VLF every year. To each his own I guess.

The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020 | 04:04 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Both dealers in Atlanta are at MSRP. I definitely wouldn't pay ADM - that's into 991.2 GT3 money
The following 2 users liked this post by AndyE1976:
n4v4nod (01-21-2020), prl (01-23-2020)
Old 01-21-2020 | 05:20 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Just got mine at MSRP. Lock date is 2/19/2020.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmk2:
n4v4nod (01-21-2020), pettelli (02-01-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 10:10 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I got my allocation last Thursday (Spyder). My dealer only got one for the Spyder and one for a GT4, which is significantly fewer than he got for the 981 versions. He has about 10 people on the list for GT4s and about 5 for Spyders. Based on what I’ve read about the 718 cars not being limited run cars, I (and my dealer) expected that he would get a lot more allocations. Since I have mine, I’m kinda of glad that he only got one! 😉 But I think a lot of other folks will be mad. My lock is in March with an expected delivery of July. (MSRP)
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
n4v4nod (01-22-2020), prl (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 01:10 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

I'm becomkng less and less optomistic about them meeting demand - 1 (unless that minus one is me)

I emailed about 25 dealers and made a list on my fridge with notes, after my position changed (doesn't it always) at a dealer and it's unlikely they'll get enough cars. Some dealers I avoided

Half didn't reply, some wanted markup, rest were full.

I did find one dealer who is fairly confident he can get me a build spot by end of the year. For msrp and I signed a purchase order which I know doesn't mean much. I also found another dealer that was also confident he can get me a slot early next year, but that required a 5k non refundable deposit, also msrp, refundable only if didn't get a spot.

I wanted to roll the dice and see if the first dealer gets me a slot. I didn't want to hang 5k there if they come through first then I'm out 5k.

Old 01-22-2020 | 04:27 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MEM82
I'm becomkng less and less optomistic about them meeting demand - 1 (unless that minus one is me)

I emailed about 25 dealers and made a list on my fridge with notes, after my position changed (doesn't it always) at a dealer and it's unlikely they'll get enough cars. Some dealers I avoided

Half didn't reply, some wanted markup, rest were full.

I did find one dealer who is fairly confident he can get me a build spot by end of the year. For msrp and I signed a purchase order which I know doesn't mean much. I also found another dealer that was also confident he can get me a slot early next year, but that required a 5k non refundable deposit, also msrp, refundable only if didn't get a spot.

I wanted to roll the dice and see if the first dealer gets me a slot. I didn't want to hang 5k there if they come through first then I'm out 5k.
My dealer - one of the largest by volume in NA also indicated the same with respect to way less allocations than they expected(General Manager). Anyone have a guess as to why? It can’t be capacity surely. Some also have indicated that GTS will be limited. I am having trouble understanding this. Why develop the 4.0 for a a single model and limiting it. Can’t see Porsche, who are a master at making money, not recouping their R and D.
Old 01-22-2020 | 06:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Every new Porsche model is rumored to be under-produced at the beginning. It’s how the hype & interest (“get one while you can”) is supposed to work.
Old 01-22-2020 | 06:30 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

This is from Andreas Preuninger:"We don't want to make the car unobtainable or inaccessible. I think one thing we learned from the last one is a lot of people couldn't get one," says the GT boss. He added that this version will not be a limited-production run. Porsche plans on building as many as it can sell.
Old 01-22-2020 | 07:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I don't buy the limited run nonsense. I think it may be hard to get a car right now, but I'd wager that by the end of the year or early next, it will be no trouble getting a car. I think patience will be rewarded. I don't think manufacturers have the luxury of turning down customers right now.
Old 01-22-2020 | 07:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Well it's not a numbered car. It's also not a Cayenne. There sure is a limit.

I wager builds into calendar 1Q21, MY2020. That will be a 2 CY run, thereabouts.

He said something similar about .2 GT3. I almost didn't get one. I got one from a dealer I wasn't talking to 2.5 years prior to build date. Everybody else didn't have one to sell me. I contacted every dealer in Canada and stayed in touch with 2 major local ones. Neither produced an allocation.

So it's not whoever wants one gets one. I know numerous guys who didn't get one and are pissed at the process here.
The following users liked this post:
ISPYA718 (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020 | 08:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by SToronto
Well it's not a numbered car. It's also not a Cayenne. There sure is a limit.

I wager builds into calendar 1Q21, MY2020. That will be a 2 CY run, thereabouts.

He said something similar about .2 GT3. I almost didn't get one. I got one from a dealer I wasn't talking to 2.5 years prior to build date. Everybody else didn't have one to sell me. I contacted every dealer in Canada and stayed in touch with 2 major local ones. Neither produced an allocation.

So it's not whoever wants one gets one. I know numerous guys who didn't get one and are pissed at the process here.
You can't roll MY backwards, only forwards, i.e. you can call cars manufactured in the second half of 2020, 2021 cars. But you cannot manufacture a car on or after January 1 and call it the prior year model year. So there will definitely be at least two model years of Spyders and GT4s if they are producing into 2021.

And these cars are not GT3's. They simply don't have the same demand, nor are they halo type cars that Porsche needs to limit supply of for brand reasons. The general public will have no clue that the Spyder is even a GT car. I'll wager a $100 donation to the charity of their choice with anyone who wants to, that next March/April there will be some new Spyders sitting on dealer lots looking for buyers.

We can debate all day, only time will tell.
Old 01-22-2020 | 08:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You can't roll MY backwards, only forwards, i.e. you can call cars manufactured in the second half of 2020, 2021 cars. But you cannot manufacture a car on or after January 1 and call it the prior year model year. So there will definitely be at least two model years of Spyders and GT4s if they are producing into 2021.

And these cars are not GT3's. They simply don't have the same demand, nor are they halo type cars that Porsche needs to limit supply of for brand reasons. The general public will have no clue that the Spyder is even a GT car. I'll wager a $100 donation to the charity of their choice with anyone who wants to, that next March/April there will be some new Spyders sitting on dealer lots looking for buyers.

We can debate all day, only time will tell.
Yes sorry that's right. 1Q21 will be MY21. There were some MY19 GT3s.

You're right on the second paragraph as well. However, who said the Spyder is a GT car? Does Porsche officially call it that, I may have missed it.

When I say whoever wants one will not get one, I mean allocations. Of course there will be Spyders on lots in Spring 2021. There were GT3s on lots in late Spring 2018 and so on and so on. There are Speedsters on lots now.

They will be limited because there aren't enough buyers to build baby build.
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:24 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Is the speedster officially a GT car? Does Porsche officially called it that? Interesting because there is no difference between GT4 and Spyder and no difference between 911 and Speedster. Should Porsche have named them GT4 Spyder and GT3 Speedster? Not sure how they determine naming, but essential both cars are the same as their brother cars minus the roof. Does that make them both GT cars then? Do both GT4 and Spyder come out of GT department. Someone on here must have those answers.
Old 01-22-2020 | 10:04 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

I have a early Feb allocation with expected April delivery. Was on GT4 lists at two local dealers (got on pretty early before GT4 was announced). Had to proactively ping both of them to see what was going on with allocations. One (Bellevue) said nothing was available yet although they are known to charge ADM and wouldn't commit to writing that it would be at MSRP, but didn't ask for any deposit. The other (Bellingham) wanted a $1k deposit and send me written confirmation with the receipt that I was on the list and would be sold at MSRP. Bellingham notified me that an allocation was available and I jumped on it. He asked to provide additional $4k for a $5k total deposit (WA state requires it to be refundable anyways). I expect the order to be submitted in a few weeks, then it'll be my 3rd time waiting for a custom Porsche. Good times.
Old 01-23-2020 | 02:41 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Interesting. Is the speedster officially a GT car? Does Porsche officially called it that? Interesting because there is no difference between GT4 and Spyder and no difference between 911 and Speedster. Should Porsche have named them GT4 Spyder and GT3 Speedster? Not sure how they determine naming, but essential both cars are the same as their brother cars minus the roof. Does that make them both GT cars then? Do both GT4 and Spyder come out of GT department. Someone on here must have those answers.

Yes, both the GT4 and Spyder are GT cars, this from Andreas Preuninger during his interview with Henry at Goodwood, He also said not possible to make an unlimited amount of them either. "...we can't make 20,000 of them..."

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker