Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 09:59 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG123
Not much change at all in power grid in the last 40 years.
yeah I don't know where the heck that nonsense is coming from... he even lives in CA he should know what a complete pile of garbage our electricity grid is

Old 02-20-2023, 10:44 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by smegman
yeah I don't know where the heck that nonsense is coming from... he even lives in CA he should know what a complete pile of garbage our electricity grid is
what do you mean by that?

I've lived here my whole life(50 years) and can't recall any issues?

We have SoCal Edison and have no issues at all....honestly can't remember a power outage due to grid overload?
Old 02-20-2023, 11:06 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wardrive
Saw this online and want to share. Also posted in the 981 forum. If this is what its going to look like in real life, not bad. Much more angular then today's lines.

What you guys think?

They will kill it with these things....especially if they can be @ 3.2 sec 0-60(they could be faster, but don't know if they want to make 911Turbo killers). have "track mode" technology and keep them under $75K

Sign me up!

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-20-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,406 Likes on 2,331 Posts

If I were born later I might be interested but at my age I am more than happy with my slower Spyder, which sounds spectacular. On the other hand, I have a deposit on an EQG - quiet/fast SUVs are fine but not sports cars for me.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:38 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 438 Posts

I’d prefer hybrid vs full EV, like eHybrid.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:15 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
They will kill it with these things....especially if they can be @ 3.2 sec 0-60(they could be faster, but don't know if they want to make 911Turbo killers). have "track mode" technology and keep them under $75K

Sign me up!
Porsche has never been focused on making cheap drag racers…
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 10:27 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

Reminds me of a Cylon raider
Old 02-21-2023, 10:45 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 659 Likes on 329 Posts

what do you mean by that?
I've lived here my whole life(50 years) and can't recall any issues?
We have SoCal Edison and have no issues at all....honestly can't remember a power outage due to grid overload?
Well, having family who has also lived in California for 50 years (north of San Fran) we can all say that any state which has a full Website just to monitor and report the Power Grid Status has issues. California ISO

Maybe different in So Cal, yet many areas in California have Rolling Black-Out in the summer: ABC News Cal Rolling Blackouts

Or maybe its the State ISO asking its citizens to NOT CHARGE their EV's because the Power Grid can't handle it California asks residents not to charge electric vehicles

Or from Forbes: California is facing a widespread Electricity Shortage

EVs are coming in California and do have a useful purpose to reduce the choking smog in densely populated areas like LA. Yet EV's have a major issue that very few proponents are discussing, and that is the weak Power Grid and the $$$ it will take to build the electrical distribution to support the huge demand that EVs are just starting to place on the grid.

California will probably change its mandates and delay forced EV sales as more EVs place higher stress on their electrical grid and more problems arise. EVs will have their place and benefits, yet forced adoption is never the solution.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 02-21-2023 at 10:52 AM.
borivojc (08-11-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:15 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wizee
Porsche has never been focused on making cheap drag racers…
who said anything about drag racers?

You think it's gonna be more expensive than the $86K Taycan? highly doubtful

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-21-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:22 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm confused... Is 2024 going to be the final model year for the ICE Boxster/Cayman?

Last edited by EMpunker; 02-23-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:00 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

who said anything about drag racers?

You think it's gonna be more expensive than the $86K Taycan? highly doubtful
I’m pretty confident the base 718 EV will be slower in a straight line than a Model 3 Performance, and more expensive than a Model 3 Performance too. However, the focus of Porsche has never been on straight line acceleration, but rather the overall package of agility, feel/feedback, lightness, build quality, refinement, reliability, durability under track use, while also having adequate acceleration, albeit less than American muscle cars (ICE or Electric) that are half the price.

There will probably be faster accelerating trims too, but I don’t expect them to be cheap. Porsche has never tried to compete with Tesla on who can make the cheapest car with a certain 0-60 time.

Last edited by wizee; 02-21-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:46 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wizee
I’m pretty confident the base 718 EV will be slower in a straight line than a Model 3 Performance, and more expensive than a Model 3 Performance too. However, the focus of Porsche has never been on straight line acceleration, but rather the overall package of agility, feel/feedback, lightness, build quality, refinement, reliability, durability under track use, while also having adequate acceleration, albeit less than American muscle cars (ICE or Electric) that are half the price.

There will probably be faster accelerating trims too, but I don’t expect them to be cheap. Porsche has never tried to compete with Tesla on who can make the cheapest car with a certain 0-60 time.
I read an article today that the rumor is they will be a 3.2 second car and have an AWD dual motor with @400 hp

Of course the Cayman has always been more about handling than speed, but once you make it an EV, acceleration is a given.....only reason they will neuter it will be the usual reason so they don't stomp their big brother(911)

btw, the M3P isn't just a straight line muscle car killer...it is a very capable track car too
Here is video of a bone stock 2021 M3P hanging with a GT4

Cheap is relative ....a $75-80K base price is considered "cheap" in Porsche world......I guarantee you it will be less than a Taycan which has a base price of $86K

of course, the ADM will probably push it into GTS 4.0 territory

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-21-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:24 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,134 Likes on 639 Posts

Makes me literally sick to my stomach seeing a Tesla on a track.

"Capable" apparently carries with it many interpretations. Am I supposed to watch that entire 8 minute video to gain context? I'm sorry, but you cannot tell me anyone in their right mind would look at a Model 3 and a GT4 parked next to each other at a racetrack, and actively choose the Tesla over the Porsche.

I'm curious as with most others on what Porsche is going to do next, but it does truly make me wonder what kind of mental gymnastics I'd have to go through to actually want one of these things, regardless of how cool they look or how "capable" they are.

And $86k sounds ridiculous. Maybe for the lowest trim level. If it's $86k I might have to strongly consider it... but I'm just not convinced that electric is the answer. I'm no scientist but this "mandate" stuff doesn't pass the sniff test, and all of it just feels like an immature technology. Version 1.0 products never seem to do well from a resale perspective... seems like too big a risk for a silent sports car.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:04 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Makes me literally sick to my stomach seeing a Tesla on a track.

"Capable" apparently carries with it many interpretations. Am I supposed to watch that entire 8 minute video to gain context? I'm sorry, but you cannot tell me anyone in their right mind would look at a Model 3 and a GT4 parked next to each other at a racetrack, and actively choose the Tesla over the Porsche.

I'm curious as with most others on what Porsche is going to do next, but it does truly make me wonder what kind of mental gymnastics I'd have to go through to actually want one of these things, regardless of how cool they look or how "capable" they are.

And $86k sounds ridiculous. Maybe for the lowest trim level. If it's $86k I might have to strongly consider it... but I'm just not convinced that electric is the answer. I'm no scientist but this "mandate" stuff doesn't pass the sniff test, and all of it just feels like an immature technology. Version 1.0 products never seem to do well from a resale perspective... seems like too big a risk for a silent sports car.
Maybe you should actually watch the video before dismissing it...There are multiple videos on YouTube of it passing multiple cars on all sorts of tracks....or better yet, go actually drive one

when one is 1/3 the price, much more practical daily driver, no more $75 gas station stops and hangs with cars like GT4's around the track, you can see why they are very appealing to many people....it is kinda bizarre to me to see this EV-phobia that some people have. like it is some sort of political statement rather than just what it is...a car with a new technology
Why does it "makes me literally sick to see a Tesla on a track"??? Seriously, I'm curious...does it feel like cheating or something or do you just don't like them for some bizarre political reasons?

It isn't a GT4, but it is a very capable and fun car....You should actually drive one, it will open your eyes.

You don't have to give up your gas car to get one either...gas cars will be around long after most of us are long gone, they aren't all being sent to the crusher at midnight on Dec 31 2034

as far as price... do you think it will be more expensive than the Taycan?

logic says other wise

A Taycan is basically an electric Panamera

A base Panamera is over $30K USD more than a base Cayman/Boxter .....

obviously there will be different trim levels and the prices will range, but just can't see Porsche trying to price it above the $86K Taycan

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 02-22-2023 at 03:10 PM.
rasetsu (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 03:41 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Maybe you should actually watch the video before dismissing it...There are multiple videos on YouTube of it passing multiple cars on all sorts of tracks....or better yet, go actually drive one

when one is 1/3 the price, much more practical daily driver, no more $75 gas station stops and hangs with cars like GT4's around the track, you can see why they are very appealing to many people....it is kinda bizarre to me to see this EV-phobia that some people have. like it is some sort of political statement rather than just what it is...a car with a new technology
Why does it "makes me literally sick to see a Tesla on a track"??? Seriously, I'm curious...does it feel like cheating or something or do you just don't like them for some bizarre political reasons?

It isn't a GT4, but it is a very capable and fun car....You should actually drive one, it will open your eyes.

You don't have to give up your gas car to get one either...gas cars will be around long after most of us are long gone, they aren't all being sent to the crusher at midnight on Dec 31 2034

as far as price... do you think it will be more expensive than the Taycan?

logic says other wise

A Taycan is basically an electric Panamera

A base Panamera is over $30K USD more than a base Cayman/Boxter .....

obviously there will be different trim levels and the prices will range, but just can't see Porsche trying to price it above the $86K Taycan
I would expect the base 718 EV to be cheaper than the Taycan but more expensive than the current base, maybe around $75k USD. I don’t expect the base 718 to be super fast in a straight line, as that has never been the goal of the model line, especially entry level Boxster/Cayman models. I’m guessing the base model would be around 350 hp with rear wheel drive. There will probably be more expensive AWD models too, and maybe even models with 911 Turbo like acceleration, but I’d expect such cars to have 911 Turbo like pricing coming from Porsche.

I highly doubt they’d give the base model a 3 second 0-60 time, it just wouldn’t make business sense and has never been the focus of the Boxster/Cayman line. Porsche loves to tempt us to spend more to get the next model up .

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread