TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It should be like this
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I hope it's better than that laggy thing!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 AM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mech33
I hope it's better than that laggy thing!
agreed!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:58 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slip
Some of those tracks are in the database according to Porsche (See link below) so the system will work at those locations, they're just not predefined / mapped for you to see.

http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....e-001a64c55f5c

At the tracks that are not pre mapped it would require using the gps during a practice lap to put the map into the database.

Thank you for this information.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:35 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Would love to drop this from my build if it is no good.
i wouldn't drop it based on the first year build. This app will be updated and will eventually reach a point that it'll surpass 3rd party builds. Just my opinion
Old 11-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

has anyone else had problems with getting a solid (locked) wifi connection between the app on the phone and the vehicle? I tried it at the track earlier this week and the connection between the two would only last 5 - 10 secs before dropping out (which would cause the recording to stop). Tried multiple times and could never get a solid connection.

Sending it back to the dealer this week to get it checked.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Slip. You need Aim Solo + the new GenII smartycam HD with can bus connection or OBD2. Gives you all the overlays plus the data traces you can use race studio to analyse. All powers up from the OBD2/can connection so minimal wires and starts recording based on when teh car moves and switches off automatically after ignition etc. Its the best set up. Just got it myself after years of using hybrid systems that are unreliable or always have battery and durability issues. Do it once do it right (unlike me who done it many times with Vbox + GoPro 3 black then Sony AV100 etc) :-)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Slip I might know what your problem is, especially if you are using an android. There is a setting that forces the phone to drop the connection if it can't find the Internet. You have to disable that.. I had a similar problem connecting to a wifi camera in my car and it drove me crazy till I discovered the fix.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Slip. You need Aim Solo + the new GenII smartycam HD with can bus connection or OBD2. Gives you all the overlays plus the data traces you can use race studio to analyse. All powers up from the OBD2/can connection so minimal wires and starts recording based on when teh car moves and switches off automatically after ignition etc. Its the best set up. Just got it myself after years of using hybrid systems that are unreliable or always have battery and durability issues. Do it once do it right (unlike me who done it many times with Vbox + GoPro 3 black then Sony AV100 etc) :-)
Thanks Macca, I have the Aim kit on order already but thought I'd try the Porsche setup as well. Would be good to get it working.

Originally Posted by jlanka
Slip I might know what your problem is, especially if you are using an android. There is a setting that forces the phone to drop the connection if it can't find the Internet. You have to disable that.. I had a similar problem connecting to a wifi camera in my car and it drove me crazy till I discovered the fix.
Good to know, I'm using an iPhone 6+ so will see if I can change the settings on it.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:37 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Aim Solo definitely looks like the way to go, after attending a talk on ABS systems and the different measures they take I have become very interested in seeing how my individual wheels are braking.

I'm just trying to figure out if its worth going with the SmartyCam or sticking with my GoPro 3.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip
has anyone else had problems with getting a solid (locked) wifi connection between the app on the phone and the vehicle? I tried it at the track earlier this week and the connection between the two would only last 5 - 10 secs before dropping out (which would cause the recording to stop). Tried multiple times and could never get a solid connection.

Sending it back to the dealer this week to get it checked.
Did you get even any short video clips with overlay you could post?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

looking at this for my arriving GT3 -

you have a good vendor to use? Also Solo or Solo DL? want OBD overlays.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi mate. You could try peter Krause over at the racers forum he's an agent for them and a top bloke. You need the dL for communication to ecu.

Slip. Good work my man. Let me know how you find the aim set up. Mine in box awaiting my return to NZ. I went 120 degrees fov as I really liked the perspective from my hero 3 medium setting when I had it mounted in the factory cage during our European tour in the gt3 in 2013. Be interested to know what you think....
Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Aim Solo definitely looks like the way to go, after attending a talk on ABS systems and the different measures they take I have become very interested in seeing how my individual wheels are braking.

I'm just trying to figure out if its worth going with the SmartyCam or sticking with my GoPro 3.
Go with the latest SmartCam- GoPro is cute, but you will need separate software for the overlays and it is work only a geek will love, so if you're like me it only happens once and forever too much trouble.

Spend a little more now and cry less later...

Peter Krause is a good resource, I agree with Macca, he hooked me up.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed. I bought it all. GoPro, a million mounts and batteries, VBox, Sony av100 etc. All too bloody hard and fiddle. Go AIM DL + the new Smartycam HD do it ones do it properly and it will work out cheaper than my route too ;-)

P.S. with Canbus connection you can get 23 high res channels including individual wheel braking etc

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App