Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 12:12 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Airplane and bicycle yes, but never driven a train. I'm not sure what you meant by your statement below, but being an engineer with a Masters and experience working in a number of industries including automotive, your statement "Every engineering product is designed this way" is simply incorrect. In fact, most machines that transport people are designed with a power supply (engine, motor, human leg), and a brake as a separate element.

In engineering perspective one pedal driving is the most normal and natural way to control output. Push to increase output and pull to decrease it. Every engineering product is designed this way.
Are you still employed? I can't imaging people with your background can not even differentiate between input and output devices. You can have input of force from everywhere (engine, transmission, engine brake, friction brake.....) but the best way to output the control signals is always a single lever if that can be done.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 165 Posts

MPG is a simple metric, easy to use and interpret. Measure distance and how much fuel you put in the tank. Ah - perhaps the odometer is not accurate. And I think we usually find the in-car reporting is on the optimistic side. OK, not entirely simple.

Much worse for an EV. Is a particular reported energy consumption from the battery or from the wall? Is the in-car display the power to the drive unit only, not including HVAC and other accessories, or only when the car is moving? (I once read that Tesla's display is based on the latter.) How is the indicated range number computed - based on some nominal Wh/mile figure or some moving average of actual consumption? (Tesla answer: both, in different places, maybe a third way for the nav display.) Some people find that "phantom" drain is significant, consumption while parked (sentry mode in a Tesla is a serious power draw - not to be used in a long-term parking lot.)

Not simple. Beware!

====================

I put a watt-hour meter on my charging circuit. I can't locate the data from it just now, but will post when I find it. The difference between it and the nominal consumption for a Model 3 led me to undersize the additional solar capacity for our system. Doh - PhD engineer fails to take AC-to-DC conversion losses into account.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:35 AM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
good news then! People don’t miss you and your negativity (like the above) either!

try going away for a couple months or years this time!
I'm up to the Arctic Circle for Ice Racing next week so that should keep you happy. However, the lack of "thread value" ultimately takes care of this organically...
Old 01-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RonF
Are you still employed?.
Why do you have to be such a dick?

You give Tesla nuts a bad name.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:02 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
Why do you have to be such a dick?
Seriously?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by RonF
Are you still employed? I can't imaging people with your background can not even differentiate between input and output devices. You can have input of force from everywhere (engine, transmission, engine brake, friction brake.....) but the best way to output the control signals is always a single lever if that can be done.
Failed again in a public forum.

Your boss's rockets are highly engineered product, yet they aren't constructed as you had just described. His rockets don't automatically brake when the thrusters are turned off, they continue forward with the momentum gained. They use reverse thrusters aka applying the brakes only when they need to slow down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Bob Roberts (01-08-2020), Der-Schwabe (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:45 PM
BrassFactory
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by evanevery
Seriously?
Seemed serious to me. One guy leads with an incredibly rude insult and another guy responds with a rude insult. Adding a third insult doesn’t help much.

I hope we can ALL be a little more polite even when we disagree. We share a common hobby, no need for a virtual WW3.
The following users liked this post:
4pipes (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 05:39 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Maybe there are too many of these, but I thought I would add one more data point on range.

DId my second test drive today of a Turbo: car showed 157 miles of range with 61% battery - for a total range of 258. Sales rep said they did 3 drives already that day and encouraged me to launch and do some highway driving, so they don't seem to be babying it during the test drives. Outside temp was around 55 and HVAC was set to 72.

Car was as great as I remembered during my first drive, paid more attention to the ride over the rough parts of the street - the ride was really good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Roberts:
CarMaven (01-08-2020), Cpoarchy (01-08-2020), SFsoundguy (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:43 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Has anyone checked the tire pressure requirements on the door sill?

Looks like Porsche doesn't ask for 42 psi, unlike Tesla

Old 01-09-2020, 12:47 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Has anyone checked the tire pressure requirements on the door sill?

Looks like Porsche doesn't ask for 42 psi, unlike Tesla

Higher pressure has less rolling resistance, better for mileage purposes. But that will have less grip.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:39 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Higher pressure has less rolling resistance, better for mileage purposes. But that will have less grip.
Yes.

One more thing I found is that Tesla uses tire compounds with low rolling resistance. This usually results in less grip (and longer range of course).

One guy replaced the original tires to a different set and the consumption increased by 8%. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-4336812

Note how the original's rating is "Eco: Green X"
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ll-Wheel+Drive

While the new tires are "Eco: Michelin Total Performance"
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=245YR8CCPXL

This is one of Porsche's tire: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...o&autoModClar=
Eco: Michelin Total Performance
The low UTQG number suggests better grip

I guess Porsche picked a compound somewhere between high performance and low rolling resistance.

Additionally Tesla Model S Performance: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...20275%2F45-20R
"Eco Focus: Green X"

The chart below is from TireRack so don't take it for granted:

Last edited by acoste; 01-10-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The Model 3 performance comes with the same tire as the 991.2, Michelin Pilot 4S, inflated to 42psi all around.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:48 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4pipes
The Model 3 performance comes with the same tire as the 991.2, Michelin Pilot 4S, inflated to 42psi all around.
Yep. The one I linked above is the AWD.
This is the M3P : https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=
Same category as the Taycan
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Interestingly the Model 3 Performance was not tested by EPA. They just copied the numbers from the AWD. Unlike for the Model S.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

side comment: the aerodynamics for the 2 cars are the same (proportional to mph^2) but not the rolling resistance (proportional to mph) . Therefore there is a difference in consumption below 70mph. But they become equal above 80mph because the air drag becomes very large compared to the rolling resistance.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles