Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 03:50 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

If it does have a heat pump, it would certainly be of benefit for those in colder climates. I had a '13 Leaf which did have the heat pump, whereas the earlier models did not and it was definitely more efficient between freezing and 60F with the heat pump than just using resistant heat.
It struck me odd that the Tesla's did not come with a heat pump or even a cold weather package option with one but they seem to have gone one better and use active and passive waste heat from the motors which I assume they crunched the numbers and was an overall advantage over the heat pump solution.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
If it does have a heat pump, it would certainly be of benefit for those in colder climates. I had a '13 Leaf which did have the heat pump, whereas the earlier models did not and it was definitely more efficient between freezing and 60F with the heat pump than just using resistant heat.
It struck me odd that the Tesla's did not come with a heat pump or even a cold weather package option with one but they seem to have gone one better and use active and passive waste heat from the motors which I assume they crunched the numbers and was an overall advantage over the heat pump solution.
I think it's $$. A heat pump would benefit over the resistive heater that they use now, even with the super-bottle cooling solution.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:29 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm not a BEV owner, and have limited time test-driving a Model S and an I-Pace. I have over a year's experience driving a Panamera E-Hybrid daily and plugging in every night. So I have this question for you BEV owners: When I hear this 1-pedal process, it sounds to me like it would be much more tedious -- in terms of leg pressure, etc. -- doing 1-pedal driving on a long-distance road trip than in a Porsche E-Hybrid or BEV (or ICEV). So it would be much more important to use ACC on long-distance trips with 1-pedal driving, it seems (i.e., "1-pedal" driving wouldn't work well without ACC for long-distance drives). I can see that 1-pedal driving would be good in heavy urban traffic, mainly. I'm thinking that Porsche has perhaps done it right with the Taycan in this regard? r.
1 pedal on highways isn't worse, in a BEV, like no lift throttle regen is going to feel like "v1.0" in a Taycan, in traffic. It is being sold as a street car. This is a street feature, where i would focus more on whether the car faces fast, sudden slowing, dense traffic.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
The premise that the Taycan is optimized less for range and more for performance would be a lot more plausible if the VAG group had other cars that showed this was the case. .
Power dense batteries, like Cayenne's decent all electric mode acceleration vs. its near 1,000 watt hour per mile range (vs ~14kwh pack size) are a big performance vs range trade-off vs. energy dense Tesla batteries, which are stacked so much you get the power anyway. What helps the smaller PHEVs, including 918, is an advantage that goes away with pack size.

Put differently, Taycan didnt need nearly 90KWh for power. Almost no >200 mile BEV does. The street purpose of power dense chemistries is basically defeated, as pack size increases (accept for the charging speed advantage). On track, spraying and soaking >250kw, constantly, probably favors them also.

Tesla's new patent sticks with energy dense NMC, but expresses a means to better deal with the higher heat, coming from what i presume is an energy dense battery's higher propensity to heat up.

As power density also raises mass/kwh, there is more "you can't have cake, and eat it too" going on.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:43 AM
svp6
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yeah, that was pretty funny.
With regard to the heat pump, can you provide a link?

Sure - check the European configurations (not in UK / Ireland /US) - neither of them has it.

The link to the Belgian configurations - in French is here ; under E-performance options there is a heat pump. Same for the German and French sites.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by wogamax
Power dense batteries, like Cayenne's decent all electric mode acceleration vs. its near 1,000 watt hour per mile range (vs ~14kwh pack size) are a big performance vs range trade-off vs. energy dense Tesla batteries, which are stacked so much you get the power anyway. What helps the smaller PHEVs, including 918, is an advantage that goes away with pack size.

Put differently, Taycan didnt need nearly 90KWh for power. Almost no >200 mile BEV does. The street purpose of power dense chemistries is basically defeated, as pack size increases (accept for the charging speed advantage). On track, spraying and soaking >250kw, constantly, probably favors them also.

Tesla's new patent sticks with energy dense NMC, but expresses a means to better deal with the higher heat, coming from what i presume is an energy dense battery's higher propensity to heat up.

As power density also raises mass/kwh, there is more "you can't have cake, and eat it too" going on.
OK, if I understand what you are saying (and I'm not sure I have it correct), is that if the Taycan were willing to accept slightly lower performance, they could have done the same range with a smaller battery, or possibly, longer range with the existing battery.

If that's the case, then is it reasonable to expect other cars from VAG to produce better efficiency in the near future? Any thoughts on why we aren't seeing that from the etron?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

what are they expecting for the 4s? 225mi?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:37 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Put differently, Taycan didnt need nearly 90KWh for power. Almost no >200 mile BEV does.
I don't think this is correct. Tesla is the fastest when it is fully charged and is in ludicrous easter egg mode which heats up the battery to increase its power. That shows its 100kWh battery is a limiting factor in max power.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

OK, if I understand what you are saying (and I'm not sure I have it correct), is that if the Taycan were willing to accept slightly lower performance, they could have done the same range with a smaller battery, or possibly, longer range with the existing battery.

If that's the case, then is it reasonable to expect other cars from VAG to produce better efficiency in the near future? Any thoughts on why we aren't seeing that from the etron?
A kWh is a kWh. When cruising down the highway, or in stop and go traffic, there wouldn't be any difference in range. However one difference is how much power can be extracted, or recharged, in a given time period. So when doing max acceleration runs, the difference could be significant. Cell chemistry is a multi-dimensional problem. Cell lifetime (e.g., # of charges/discharges vs depth of discharge vs degradation), hot/cold performance, cost, and so on.

As was pointed out, this is a greater problem in EVs with relatively small battery packs. As packs grow larger, the load is spread out and the cells are less highly stressed.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:03 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Taycan in range mode operates in a similar way as other EVs in normal mode. For example it reduces the use of the active sway bars (which most EVs don't have. Rear wheel steering isn't common either.) Reduces A/C (which we saw uses quite a bit of power even at 75F - which I think comes from the A/C + heater constantly running to keep the air fresh and odor-free). It also reduces the power of the coolant pumps. Now if the car can run on this reduced coolant pump power in range mode, that means in normal mode they are expecting some spirited driving. Also the Taycan keeps running in all wheel drive mode. Most EVs save power by using only the front motor. Larger brakes affect the consumption slightly.

"Driving in range mode means driving with the most efficient all-wheel distribution possible. In extreme cases, the Taycan will even drive exclusively on the front axle. Air conditioning, hydraulic pumps, air suspension and headlights also operate in their most efficient configurations."

Audi E-Tron also remains in all wheel drive mode. Unlike the Mercedes EQC which switches to the PM motor only when no extra power is needed.

One more thing that affects efficiency is that both the Taycan's and E-Tron's motor is tuned for max efficiency at max power. One can observer this when comparing their consumption at high speeds. E-tron has higher consumption than Model X at 65mph. But at around 125mph their consumption is equal.

Taycan's motors have to be efficient at max power in order to keep the motors cool. Their inverters are also very efficient at near 98%. I wonder if these are SiC inverters. Additionally - based on the EPA data - Taycan has the best aerodynamics.
The following users liked this post:
Thinc2 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

1 pedal on highways isn't worse, in a BEV, like no lift throttle regen is going to feel like "v1.0" in a Taycan, in traffic. It is being sold as a street car. This is a street feature, where i would focus more on whether the car faces fast, sudden slowing, dense traffic.
Hmm, one pedal driving is exactly like riding the brakes the whole time while pressing the throttle, the moment there is no throttle input the car slows down rapidly. How is that normal driving?

The following users liked this post:
Garydose (01-04-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 02:43 PM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Hmm, one pedal driving is exactly like riding the brakes the whole time while pressing the throttle, the moment there is no throttle input the car slows down rapidly. How is that normal driving?
In engineering perspective one pedal driving is the most normal and natural way to control output. Push to increase output and pull to decrease it. Every engineering product is designed this way. We had been doing it the hard way simply because there were no good solutions with ICE.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:58 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonF
In engineering perspective one pedal driving is the most normal and natural way to control output. Push to increase output and pull to decrease it. Every engineering product is designed this way. We had been doing it the hard way simply because there were no good solutions with ICE.
I don't find it useful as I hate keeping my foot on the pedal. I use cruise control even in the city and even for as short distance as one block. This is more convenient for me and saves me from getting tickets.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:26 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RonF
Push to increase output and pull to decrease it. Every engineering product is designed this way. .
Every engineering product except for 1 petal driving, since there is no pulling to decrease the output.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,780 Likes on 1,846 Posts

one pedal driving is proportional - it's not all or nothing - if you only life a little you only get a little regen - if you lift all the way you get full regents…I really find it no problem.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles