Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 03:38 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

The range on the Taycan will all depend on a lot of factors: weather, elevation on the drive, using a/c or heat (these cost over 20 miles each), which wheels you speced (Mission E wheel being the worse with 10 miles less range than the 20 inch Turbo Aero wheels), speed, using regen or not, etc etc......

We have a Taycan Turbo S here that shows 237 miles with a 99% charge. I just took a client on a 6 mile drive and we arrived back with 235 miles of range left. This car should have plenty of range for most folks who don't regularly drive over 300 miles a day...

The following 7 users liked this post by Sonnen Porsche:
AlexCeres (12-31-2019), daveo4porsche (12-31-2019), flickroll (06-10-2020), Garydose (01-04-2020), Rollep (01-02-2020), Sambof (01-03-2020), wizee (01-01-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2019, 03:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,779 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Ouch.

This has me seriously re-thinking my order. Way lower than expected. I'm assuming the 21" wheels make it even lower.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=42383
@manitou202 curious what your thoughts are now that we know more - your thread has been quite active
Old 12-31-2019, 04:43 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
@manitou202 curious what your thoughts are now that we know more - your thread has been quite active
I have a little more data on this. I calculated the estimated range based on the EPA data. I used 85% efficiency for all below. That comes close to the Caranddriver's 270mi range for the 100D at 75 mph (assuming 100D was a little less efficient than the LR).

Forgot to add that this is all based on parameters for 75F outside temperature. The drag of colder air will lower the range a bit.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
I have a little more data on this. I calculated the estimated range based on the EPA data. I used 85% efficiency for all below. That comes close to the Caranddriver's 270mi range for the 100D at 75 mph (assuming 100D was a little less efficient than the LR).

Forgot to add that this is all based on parameters for 75F outside temperature. The drag of colder air will lower the range a bit.

what is the tesla buffe? only 2 percent?
Old 12-31-2019, 05:51 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
what is the tesla buffe? only 2 percent?
4%. On the Model X it is 98kWh out of 102kWh (this is what I saw with an OBD tool). I assume same applies for Model S. EPA documents show ~ 99kWh net energy.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by RonF
In engineering perspective one pedal driving is the most normal and natural way to control output. Push to increase output and pull to decrease it. Every engineering product is designed this way. We had been doing it the hard way simply because there were no good solutions with ICE.
Spewing more nonsense again I see.

Have you seen how a ship throttle works? The handle starts off in the middle, which is neutral. You push it forward to go, farther forward to go faster. When you pull back on the throttle the shop doesn't not stop. Not even when you put it back into neutral, the ship would just coast, until such a point where friction eventually stops it. You want it to stop faster by pulling the handle to reverse thrust, like stepping onto the brake pedal. It's the most natural way to do things.

One pedal driving is exactly the same as riding the brakes all the time, only idiots do that. In a Tesla you don't have a choice as Elon can't make regeneration braking work so he has to make the throttle dual function, and engaged aggressive regeneration braking when the throttle is lifted. It is as simple as that. Elon actually didn't give you a choice, he just forced that down your throat, or up your bottom.

The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 03:00 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

Have you seen how a ship throttle works? The handle starts off in the middle, which is neutral. You push it forward to go, farther forward to go faster. When you pull back on the throttle the shop doesn't not stop. Not even when you put it back into neutral, the ship would just coast, until such a point where friction eventually stops it. You want it to stop faster by pulling the handle to reverse thrust, like stepping onto the brake pedal. It's the most natural way to do things.

One pedal driving is exactly the same as riding the brakes all the time, only idiots do that. In a Tesla you don't have a choice as Elon can't make regeneration braking work so he has to make the throttle dual function, and engaged aggressive regeneration braking when the throttle is lifted. It is as simple as that. Elon actually didn't give you a choice, he just forced that down your throat, or up your bottom.
Well, he's a busy guy, personally designing rockets that land themselves, inventing elaborate schemes to bushwhack short sellers while staying a half-step ahead of the SEC, and building trucks that render faster than anybody else's trucks in 3D Studio. He'll get around to perfecting regenerative braking one of these days, I'm sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
RonF (01-02-2020), whiz944 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm curious to see Taycan sales numbers. Sister Audi with e-tron is hitting less than 5% of sales targets with a $50k EV.. I do wonder if even the most avid Porschphiles will swallow a $180k VAG dry-run/beta test on their wallets?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:48 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
@daveo4porsche ,

I ended up cancelling my Taycan order last week. Price / depreciation was the biggest factor, followed by the specs (range, acceleration of the Turbo and 4S models, and lack of a lot of standard options).

The Taycan is an absolutely beautiful car, and I'm confident it's the best driving EV by a long shot. Porsche got a lot right with the Taycan, but the Porsche tax is way too high on this vehicle. The Gen 1 Taycan will probably be worth 1/3 of the original MSRP in a couple of years as more EV's hit the market including the eventual Taycan Gen 2 and the Audi E-tron GT. Considering the Audi E-tron GT will basically be the same car as the Taycan 4S (and maybe the Turbo) my plan is to hold out for the Audi, or a potential Model S refresh.

I really wanted one and I applaud Porsche for being the first major sports car manufacturer to get serious about EV's. If I had $170k that I could throw away, I would definitely do it. But my rational side (if that's even a thing with buying a Porsche) has said just wait a few years and don't take the $80k+ hit on a new Taycan.

Last edited by manitou202; 01-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by manitou202:
daveo4porsche (01-01-2020), Dyefrog (01-01-2020), RonF (01-02-2020), thebishman (01-01-2020), tomhartzell (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:20 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,779 Likes on 1,845 Posts

@manitou202 thank you for taking time to reply - seems like a well thought out plan!
Old 01-01-2020, 12:29 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

One could probably get 300+ miles of range out of a Taycan Turbo with a roll of duct tape to seal some vents plus a set of i3 pizza cutter wheels with Moon disc hubcaps and the tires pumped up to 60 psi...just set the cruise to 55mph and watch the miles go by! 😉
Old 01-01-2020, 12:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm curious to see Taycan sales numbers. Sister Audi with e-tron is hitting less than 5% of sales targets with a $50k EV.. I do wonder if even the most avid Porschphiles will swallow a $180k VAG dry-run/beta test on their wallets?
It’s an $80k SUV. That’s part of the problem. Other problems are that it’s freaking slow, heavy as *****, and has issues charging. The Taycan at least has most of those compromises licked...at a price.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:58 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
Every engineering product except for 1 petal driving, since there is no pulling to decrease the output.
Not even with your throttle or brake pedals? There is always the pulling force although it's provided by the spring load. Nothing different with how you operate this one "accelerator' pedal.
You never see an engineering product that will require two ***** to control output, volume, temperature, power etc.... when one could do the job. No one would be that silly to say using two ***** makes adjusting volume more fun.

Didn't you just proved my point? Even with such a terrible latency ships still prefer to do it with just one ****.

Your description of how Tesla pedal works it totally wrong too. It never engages the brake unless the car is already at or very close to a complete stop. Sounds like you're the person who's trying to mistreat your own throat and bottom.

Last edited by RonF; 01-02-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
@CAlexio do you have a link to a story on this? I would be interested to read about it. TYIA
Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

One pedal driving is exactly the same as riding the brakes all the time, only idiots do that.
Yeah, you're going to have to explain that one.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles