Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 11:17 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 518 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
It's already been repainted again. Reread my post. Paint in the auction photos looks good to me.
Paint is the least of my concerns with any damaged vehicle. It’s the stuff behind the bumper (if any) that would keep me from me paying the premium these cars deserve. When repairs aren’t clearly documented and they just say respray it makes me apprehensive. It is presented well on BaT as you indicated. If you read your post you said “was structural” but drove great. Structural to me is bad, superficial or surface is not.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:59 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
Paint is the least of my concerns with any damaged vehicle. It’s the stuff behind the bumper (if any) that would keep me from me paying the premium these cars deserve. When repairs aren’t clearly documented and they just say respray it makes me apprehensive. It is presented well on BaT as you indicated. If you read your post you said “was structural” but drove great. Structural to me is bad, superficial or surface is not.
Reread it again. I said "I don't think the damage prior to the respray was structural. If it was, I couldn't tell at all." The use of a contraction makes it less clear I guess.

Last edited by Zach L; 06-25-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:25 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

@Zach L thanks for the photos and all of your comments. It's great the forum community has this wealth of knowledge on these cars.
The following users liked this post:
dancingwhale (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:51 AM
Alc
Racer

Now that you all know the market and current pricing, I have a line on a Spyder coming to market in the next month or so. Do you all think it’s worth a premium if my only choice is PDK? Since my other PCar is a MT slicktop my wife insists on PDK drop top and the only one I’d be caught dead in is a Spyder. Is it worth the money given I’m losing the allure and driving bliss of rowing your own in a Spyder? I have no interest in the new ones as they are more track focused and less backroad joy. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:18 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
Now that you all know the market and current pricing, I have a line on a Spyder coming to market in the next month or so. Do you all think it’s worth a premium if my only choice is PDK? Since my other PCar is a MT slicktop my wife insists on PDK drop top and the only one I’d be caught dead in is a Spyder. Is it worth the money given I’m losing the allure and driving bliss of rowing your own in a Spyder? I have no interest in the new ones as they are more track focused and less backroad joy. Thanks for the opinions.
I read your post as you wanting us to convince you that a PDK is ok. IMHO, the Spyder is all about sensory enjoyment, and the manual is a big part of that for me personally.

The PDK is a great trans, and can be lots of fun in the Spyder, but you’ve got to want one. Otherwise you’ll always have that nagging itch that you didn’t properly scratch.

Sounds to me like your other half needs a PDK Boxster for herself and you need a manual Spyder.
The following 2 users liked this post by islaTurbine:
Dana R (06-26-2024), DaveGee (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:36 AM
Aclmin
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

I would take a convertible 997.2 GTS PDK over any 987.2 Spyder PDK.

You won’t lose much on either, but the manuals will slowly increase in price.

I test drove both PDK and manual spyder, and can say they are quite different experiences.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:35 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
Have you considered teaching her how to drive manual? I'm just making assumptions here based on her preference. I wouldn't want a PDK Spyder personally unless it was a new Spyder RS.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:57 PM
Alc
Racer

first off, thank you for your opinions! It’s refreshing to get them from people who have experienced/owned these vehicles AND have a pulse on the market.
Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I read your post as you wanting us to convince you that a PDK is ok. IMHO, the Spyder is all about sensory enjoyment, and the manual is a big part of that for me personally.

Sounds to me like your other half needs a PDK Boxster for herself and you need a manual Spyder.
Yeah, im all about the sensory and manual and if it was my only then I would not settle; but I have 991.2T, Miami Blue, MT, Slick top, PCCBs, LWBS…I don’t think you could pry it out of my hands for anything past or future so now it’s her turn. I’m just worried it’s not worth the price of entry with a PDK but it’s pretty difficult to find one to drive that’s unmolested to be sure. Your comment is definitely one I can relate to. It’s just a matter of how much it takes away from the experience.

Originally Posted by Aclmin
I would take a convertible 997.2 GTS PDK over any 987.2 Spyder PDK.

You won’t lose much on either, but the manuals will slowly increase in price.

I test drove both PDK and manual spyder, and can say they are quite different experiences.
that’s what I’m afraid of. We have looked at the 997.2 GTS…I hesitate to say this but I hate Cabriolets. Weight increase, less rigidity, all the moving parts/pieces, and the non-flow of the body lines all do not appeal to me and only seem to take away from the drive. To me driving utopia is having a balanced vehicle with the right power and weight and IMO the Cayman R, 987.2 Spyder, and 991.2T all fall into that category. Obviously the pinnacle is one of those with a MT.

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Have you considered teaching her how to drive manual? I'm just making assumptions here based on her preference. I wouldn't want a PDK Spyder personally unless it was a new Spyder RS.
yup, bought lessons and tried to teach her on my B5 S4 then my 991.2T…”its not her thing” and is a hard no. We’re #2 on the list here for the Spyder RS which is basically saying not gonna happen. I personally like the 987.2 Spyder because it’s pure, for the joy of the drive but everything after seems track focused not back road fun.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:37 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

It’s definitely worth the price with a PDK, plus you’re saving ~$10k compared to someone buying a manual car.

Is your wife ok with the GT2 LWBs? If not, then getting one with sofas will save you another ~$10k. A mid-mileage PDK/Sofa car is still surprisingly affordable.

Or buy both. #hisndhers

TheBucketOfTruth (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:58 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alc
Yeah, im all about the sensory and manual and if it was my only then I would not settle; but I have 991.2T, Miami Blue, MT, Slick top, PCCBs, LWBS…I don’t think you could pry it out of my hands for anything past or future so now it’s her turn. I’m just worried it’s not worth the price of entry with a PDK but it’s pretty difficult to find one to drive that’s unmolested to be sure. Your comment is definitely one I can relate to. It’s just a matter of how much it takes away from the experience.
All of mine are manual gearbox, but if I were in your situation I would get the PDK Spyder and look at it as HER car. In that case it has nothing to do with you so you're not settling; your wife is simply getting what she wants. You already have what you want ...or is the 991.2 not cutting it for you?
The following 3 users liked this post by Zach L:
Alc (06-26-2024), Dana R (06-26-2024), TheBucketOfTruth (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:41 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

I recently bought a PDK Spyder after selling my manual Spyder. I bought it mostly so that my daughters can enjoy the car as much as me. It’s not that they can’t or won’t drive a manual, it’s just not really in their comfort zone. While I do miss the manual at times, I have to say the PDK Spyder experience is fine. The car has a built 3.8 liter so that pretty much makes up for any fun I miss with a manual.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:16 PM
SHooks
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I would definitely buy a PDK spyder, but the first thing I would do/buy is a COBB PDK tuner. I had a really cool Cayman with PDK after installing the PDK tune from COBB made it very cool to drive, the tuner has several different tunes for your driving style.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:31 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SHooks
I would definitely buy a PDK spyder, but the first thing I would do/buy is a COBB PDK tuner. I had a really cool Cayman with PDK after installing the PDK tune from COBB made it very cool to drive, the tuner has several different tunes for your driving style.

Thats interesting. What has Cobb thought of that Porsches Sport and Sport Plus modes don’t do? Is the Cobb program guaranteed or warrantied in any way not to reduce reliability or longevity of the PDK unit? I ask because Porsches PDK GT3 R’s have incredible race performance capabilities. Thanks
Old 06-26-2024, 10:05 PM
Alc
Racer

Again I truly appreciate the opinions.
Originally Posted by islaTurbine
It’s definitely worth the price with a PDK, plus you’re saving ~$10k compared to someone buying a manual car.

Is your wife ok with the GT2 LWBs? If not, then getting one with sofas will save you another ~$10k. A mid-mileage PDK/Sofa car is still surprisingly affordable.

Or buy both. #hisndhers
I love my LWBS in my T but thankfully my wife doesn’t need them…which opens up the field of possibilities a little more.

Originally Posted by Zach L
All of mine are manual gearbox, but if I were in your situation I would get the PDK Spyder and look at it as HER car. In that case it has nothing to do with you so you're not settling; your wife is simply getting what she wants. You already have what you want ...or is the 991.2 not cutting it for you?
Good advice, we had a 718 Cayman S as a HER car and she loved it but has always wanted a convertible, specifically a Spyder. The 991.2T is epic and hits all my wants. If I get bored it’s only a tune away from stupid power. And for ludicrous power 2 turbos but that’s not my thing…it’s about the balance, the smaller turbos have almost imperceptible lag.

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
I recently bought a PDK Spyder after selling my manual Spyder. I bought it mostly so that my daughters can enjoy the car as much as me. It’s not that they can’t or won’t drive a manual, it’s just not really in their comfort zone. While I do miss the manual at times, I have to say the PDK Spyder experience is fine. The car has a built 3.8 liter so that pretty much makes up for any fun I miss with a manual.
Not to get this thread too far off topic but that sounds pretty epic, would love to know the specifics of that 3.8 build. But your scenario is very similar to mine where I want my wife to enjoy the experience. Sure, she could learn but confidence will keep her from enjoying it.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:48 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Final day on this Spyder. Bad listing is bad. Figure out what you're doing folks or pay someone who does.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lz...boxster-spyder
islaTurbine (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread