Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
For an R or Spyder I'm guessing a bare options list is what someone would want. Bare options means bucket seats, Spyder wheels in silver, manual gear box. That would be an awesome spec!

For max $$$ I'd imaging the golden spec would be:

- manual
- buckets
- extended leather
- standard Spyder wheels
- PCCB
- a good PTS colour
- lightweight battery
- AC and radio delete

Basically every option that leads to weight loss checked. Not sure if PSE would be a benefit or not. On the one hand it's more weight and complexity, on the other the stock exhaust has next to no sound. If it was me I'd want the spec above and then get a second R 3" exhaust Carnewal modded and keep the stock one.
While the absence of A/C is rare (97% were spec'd with A/C) and saves 26 lbs, it hasn't resulted in a price premium. No A/C is just not practical for anyone living in the southern half of the US, so I think there's a smaller pool of potential buyers. The data points are few, but here's one without A/C that's sold on both PcarMarket HERE and BaT HERE. It was a former PCNA press car and was showcased at PCA events so it has a bit of a pedigree you could say.

In watching for several years, the lightweight options that require a sacrifice (i.e., halogen headlights, no cupholders, no A/C, no radio) tend to neither harm nor help price. At the same time, some options that add weight (i.e., extended leather, PSE, Bose system) seem to be looked fondly upon and help price. So strict adherence to the lightweight options doesn't always win. I'd argue the car still holds its ethos even when spec'd with a few more pounds.

It's probably worth posting these stats again here, from Simon Ogden's database derived from VINanalytics:
  • 563 US and 61 Canada cars (624 total for North America)
  • 55% of cars were manual, 45% were PDK
  • 60% of cars were sold with the Sport Seats, 40% were sold with the Bucket Seats (so many mistakes were made)
  • 97% of cars were sold with A/C
  • The 3 most popular colors were:
    • Carrara White (25.48%)
    • Peridot Metallic (18.43%)
    • Black (15.87%)
  • There were 5 Paint-to-Sample cars. 4 PTS non-metallic, 1 PTS metallic
  • 4.5% of cars were sold with PCCB
  • There were 7 press vehicles

The following users liked this post:
plafondles (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:36 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
While the absence of A/C is rare (97% were spec'd with A/C) and saves 26 lbs, it hasn't resulted in a price premium. No A/C is just not practical for anyone living in the southern half of the US, so I think there's a smaller pool of potential buyers. The data points are few, but here's one without A/C that's sold on both PcarMarket HERE and BaT HERE. It was a former PCNA press car and was showcased at PCA events so it has a bit of a pedigree you could say.

In watching for several years, the lightweight options that require a sacrifice (i.e., halogen headlights, no cupholders, no A/C, no radio) tend to neither harm nor help price. At the same time, some options that add weight (i.e., extended leather, PSE, Bose system) seem to be looked fondly upon and help price. So strict adherence to the lightweight options doesn't always win. I'd argue the car still holds its ethos even when spec'd with a few more pounds.

It's probably worth posting these stats again here, from Simon Ogden's database derived from VINanalytics:
  • 60% of cars were sold with the Sport Seats, 40% were sold with the Bucket Seats (so many mistakes were made)
    • Carrara White (25.48%)
    • Black (15.87%)

Can you provide a link to that database?
Old 01-12-2022, 02:17 PM
AndrewLakes
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

For an R or Spyder I'm guessing a bare options list is what someone would want. Bare options means bucket seats, Spyder wheels in silver, manual gear box. That would be an awesome spec!

- manual
- buckets
- extended leather
- standard Spyder wheels
- PCCB
- a good PTS colour
- lightweight battery
- AC and radio delete

Basically every option that leads to weight loss checked. Not sure if PSE would be a benefit or not. On the one hand it's more weight and complexity, on the other the stock exhaust has next to no sound. If it was me I'd want the spec above and then get a second R 3" exhaust Carnewal modded and keep the stock one.
One can check the VIN series of NA cayman R's and see if that spec even exists: https://vinanalytics.com/collections/caymanr/
If you sort by MSRP, mine is #9, the second most expensive manual!

Last edited by AndrewLakes; 01-12-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:27 AM
kDub
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

- manual
- buckets
- extended leather
- standard Spyder wheels
- PCCB
- a good PTS colour
- lightweight battery
- AC and radio delete

I like your style! My Spyder only has the radio option. I tried to find one with no options - only found one example for sale and it sold in 4 hours. I live in the South - but luckily south California so I don’t need AC. I also don’t drive it after 10 am because too many people are out and about. I had a collector call me about buying my car and we talked about the AC and he laughed and said most of the older generation 911’s in his collection don’t have AC. I thought about throwing in a factory short shifter and adding PSE but I don’t drive it enough and I doubt it would add value down the road since it’s not the spec.

One thing for certain - I look forward to driving her to cars n coffee every three or four weeks and being reminded that she handles like a dream and her gearing is near perfect.

The following 2 users liked this post by kDub:
corecar (01-15-2022), d90spyder (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:54 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 439 Posts

tbh a clean manual car is all you need for 987 spyder experience, invest the extra $$$ in shorter gear/quality lsd/better brake your car will be GOLD
Old 01-16-2022, 10:56 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
tbh a clean manual car is all you need for 987 spyder experience, invest the extra $$$ in shorter gear/quality lsd/better brake your car will be GOLD
Which LSD would you recommend for the Spyder?
Old 01-17-2022, 04:43 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Which LSD would you recommend for the Spyder?
Heard good things about guard. I'm still saving, work on the brakes first...
Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L

• Carrara White (25.48%)
    • Black (15.87%)

All great info - for anyone interested in the press car VINs, here's a list:

WP0AB2A82CU792065
WP0AB2A84CU792066
WP0AB2A86CU792067
WP0AB2A86CU792070
WP0AB2A89CU792063
WP0AB2A80CU792064
WP0AB2A88CU792068
WP0AB2A88CU792071

Both WP0AB2A86CU792070 and WP0AB2A88CU792071 have AC listed on the build sheets.

I don't remember the exact timestamp, but I think it was in this Smoking Tire episode, Doug Demuro talked about how he accidentally left off AC when he was spec'ing the Cayman R press cars when he was working there. Sort of funny.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:30 AM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
987 Cayman R for sale. Max number of range 1 over revs and over revs all the way through range 6 on this one. Strange that range 6 over revs are more than range 5 in here. But I've seen this before. Calipers painted black. Aftermarket rotors. Aftermarket suspension components. Soul exhaust. Unfortunately, I'm guessing the range 6 over revs are going to hold it back. Maybe high $60s? While over revs are a great tool to get an idea of a car overall, I think we can all agree that this motor will probably be still working properly in 5 years from now. However, the range 6's are slightly more of a concern given that we have no idea how high the revs went. WP0AB2A82CS793163

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-cayman-r-27/
Looks like someone is trying to flip this same car for $20k more...

https://www.exoticcarlist.com/car/53...HR1AU1NP-OgqKg
Old 01-18-2022, 09:41 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

LOL! Good luck with that!

Someone needs to tell this twit that BAT is the place you go to SELL an overpriced car not to BUY an overpriced car.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:29 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

https://autokennel.com/featured_vehi...-sport-chrono/

$98K
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 07:36 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Rare color combo for sure.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:40 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

That is a unique exterior color, I like it. Mine is Carrara White and although it looks very nice I do wish it was a but more unique.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:37 PM
kDub
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a unique color combo - I have seen a couple of red interiors but not a cream color exterior. For me personally the LWBS are part of the ownership experience.

Last edited by kDub; 01-20-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:15 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by kDub
That is a unique color combo - I have seen a couple of red interiors but not a cream color exterior. For me personally the LWBS are part of the ownership experience.
Completely agree. Of course, LWBs would add another ~$10k to that asking price.

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread