Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 12:07 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by livfreely
Now this is a beauty. Gotta ba a 1/1 build
The wheels are repaints. This car would have been epic if factory optioned with red LWBs and red wheels.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:22 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 518 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
The wheels are repaints. This car would have been epic if factory optioned with red LWBs and red wheels.
how can you tell they’re repaints? I honestly don’t know how to tell the difference between repaints and original red from factory is why I ask. The meteor cayman R that was just on BaT was ordered with red but substituted for black. Could these just be swapped for the factory red rims? Otherwise you can also tell they did something with the front rotors as well. Either way, interesting spec…can’t say I’m a fan of the color combo but to each their own.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:28 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alc
how can you tell they’re repaints? I honestly don’t know how to tell the difference between repaints and original red from factory is why I ask. The meteor cayman R that was just on BaT was ordered with red but substituted for black. Could these just be swapped for the factory red rims? Otherwise you can also tell they did something with the front rotors as well. Either way, interesting spec…can’t say I’m a fan of the color combo but to each their own.
Painted wheels on the 987.2 Spyders and CR's all had a brushed aluminum outer ring around the outer lip of the wheel. I've yet to see a deviation from this practice. In addition to that, you can look up this car's options list on VinAnalytics or see the Monroney label here on RL and it shows that red wheels weren't optioned.
The following users liked this post:
Scorponok (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 01:02 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 518 Likes on 207 Posts

Painted wheels on the 987.2 Spyders and CR's all had a brushed aluminum outer ring around the outer lip of the wheel. I've yet to see a deviation from this practice. In addition to that, you can look up this car's options list on VinAnalytics or see the Monroney label here on RL and it shows that red wheels weren't optioned.
Obviously it wasn’t in the build sheet and knew the black rims had the silver outer ring but I guess I have never seen original factory red rims. Been studying these cars for a while and seen red rims just never factory red I guess. Thanks for the education!
Old 07-08-2024, 01:09 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alc
Obviously it wasn’t in the build sheet and knew the black rims had the silver outer ring but I guess I have never seen original factory red rims. Been studying these cars for a while and seen red rims just never factory red I guess. Thanks for the education!
Here’s a prolific example: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-cayman-r-3/
Old 07-08-2024, 05:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Does anyone know the seller of this car from BAT? Looks like at some point BAT removed way to contact seller after auctions... ugh:

I didn't see it listed elsewhere

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-cayman-r-62/

Old 07-08-2024, 06:24 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Does anyone know the seller of this car from BAT? Looks like at some point BAT removed way to contact seller after auctions... ugh:

I didn't see it listed elsewhere

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-cayman-r-62/
I could be mistaken but I was under the impression that the ability to contact a seller for a No Sale listing is removed at the end of the auction. Only the highest bidder in the No Sale auction is then given a way to communicate with the seller in order to potentially facilitate a deal.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I could be mistaken but I was under the impression that the ability to contact a seller for a No Sale listing is removed at the end of the auction. Only the highest bidder in the No Sale auction is then given a way to communicate with the seller in order to potentially facilitate a deal.
I've been a bat user for a long time, but not used it too much recently. They definitely had a way to contact members in the past... I get why they would have removed it.

Does anyone know this owner or how to get in touch with them?

I'd do better than the bat auction... but the car isn't listed out there anywhere I can find it.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:30 PM
BW71872
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been a bat user for a long time, but not used it too much recently. They definitely had a way to contact members in the past... I get why they would have removed it.

Does anyone know this owner or how to get in touch with them?

I'd do better than the bat auction... but the car isn't listed out there anywhere I can find it.
He’s relatively active in the Cayman R Facebook group. Go buy it from him so I stop thinking about doing the same and wait for one in the right spec for me
Old 07-08-2024, 09:59 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
Spyder: cream exterior, red interior, red rims, MT, Sofas at dealer not auction.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest
It's been for sale since before Christmas 2023. Price is maybe a touch high...
Old 07-08-2024, 10:01 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

2012 Porsche Cayman R

Sofas, PDK, "minor" damage on the Carfax

Old 07-09-2024, 11:09 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BW71872
He’s relatively active in the Cayman R Facebook group. Go buy it from him so I stop thinking about doing the same and wait for one in the right spec for me
I don't use Facebook (and won't). any chance if you do you can point him to this thread and we can get in touch???
Old 07-09-2024, 11:13 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 484 Posts

I don't use Facebook (and won't). any chance if you do you can point him to this thread and we can get in touch???
I sent him a message for ya. Will DM with his contact if he shares.
Old 07-09-2024, 12:03 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

He listed the car for sale in the FB Cayman R group prior to it going on BaT and he was wanting $75k for it.
Old 07-09-2024, 12:10 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

Painted wheels on the 987.2 Spyders and CR's all had a brushed aluminum outer ring around the outer lip of the wheel
It's not brushed aluminum, it's the same silver paint as the standard silver Spyder wheels. They may have started completely silver then they were painted black/color over the top. Wheels from the factory will always have silver lip edge and silver/gray barrels, no matter the color of the face/spoke area.

Last edited by Zach L; 07-09-2024 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread