Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 03:04 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

White Spyder - No Reserve
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-75/
Old 06-06-2024, 11:09 PM
SHooks
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
Prices for R and Spyder cars seem to be at an all time high.

I just bought a high mileage one owner from Sky Motorcars in West Chester PA. For less than $35,000 delivered to Texas
The following 5 users liked this post by SHooks:
islaTurbine (06-08-2024), Miggytosh (06-06-2024), MXA121 (06-06-2024), SleepyCyclist (06-07-2024), Zeus993 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 11:26 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SHooks
I just bought a high mileage one owner from Sky Motorcars in West Chester PA. For less than $35,000 delivered to Texas
You lucky duck!
Old 06-07-2024, 06:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

That's a heck of a lot of Porsche for $35K! Congrats!

Can you share what the actual mileage is? Just curious...
Old 06-07-2024, 08:24 AM
SHooks
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
That's a heck of a lot of Porsche for $35K! Congrats!

Can you share what the actual mileage is? Just curious...

Old 06-07-2024, 10:48 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SHooks

That's great! I'd be really curious what has needed to be replaced and how the car drives with that mileage.
Old 06-07-2024, 11:04 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 500 Posts

Impressive mileage @SHooks ! But I'd call that an extreme outlier against general price trends . . .

I just bought the Meteor on BaT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-cayman-r-60/

It landed a touch higher than I anticipated, but still well within the range outlined in the Hagerty article. I really wanted Peridot + buckets + PCCB, but not willing to wait indefinitely or spend ~ 100 on it. My use will be miles + track, so buckets were critical, and I'm not fussed by a "mid-mileage" example.

Generally on pricing, though, I think these will follow the basic Porsche supply / demand trend over time. Any very limited production run PCar will always represent a flat or rising "investment." I don't expect them to do 997GT antics, but the R is a cool-*** car and I think the market reflects it.

Looking forward to the ownership experience !
Old 06-07-2024, 11:05 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Congrats, I can't stand my reluctance to drive when a car has low miles. High-mileage cars are just a better ownership experience for me. That's a great deal...enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
jreifler (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:07 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
Congrats, I can't stand my reluctance to drive when a car has low miles. High-mileage cars are just a better ownership experience for me. That's a great deal...enjoy it!
Thanks! My Pumpkin is by far the most insanely good car I've ever driven, but 100% suffering from too pristine / low mileage for carefree enjoyment.

This will get me back on track much more frequently without insane insurance outlays once a month . . .
Old 06-07-2024, 11:21 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler

I just bought the Meteor on BaT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2012-porsche-cayman-r

Generally on pricing, though, I think these will follow the basic Porsche supply / demand trend over time. Any very limited production run PCar will always represent a flat or rising "investment." I don't expect them to do 997GT antics, but the R is a cool-*** car and I think the market reflects it.

Looking forward to the ownership experience !
I know you were looking for the Peridot but the one you got is really 👍 it just looks good. I don't think you overpaid at all.

It took me close to a year to find mine, and that was in 2017 when they were still depreciating. I think I paid about $15,000 under it's sticker and the seller, who responded to a WTB ad here, was surprised at the number I offered. He had bought it from the original owner with a couple thousand miles on it in 2013, and my offer was about what he paid for the car.

As an aside, I know where the highest priced BAT Cayman R sale ($91,000 plus fees) lives. It sits in a car condo where it hasn't moved since its purchase a few years ago. I'm sure it will eventually resurface, but for now it's not being used, which is a shame.
jreifler (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:28 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Any very limited production run PCar will always represent a flat or rising "investment."
This will not be true. The more confident and widespread this thinking is, the bigger the correction will be when it happens, not if it happens. Trends and preferences change. Look at the guys holding onto vintage muscle cars or pre-war cars. The market has moved on from them and it will eventually move on from what's hot right now, probably more quickly than it did prior. While I enjoy my 6-speed manual R, the future buyers won't even know how to drive it. And even being in my late-30's I can say there will be a time when the old dudes (including me) die off, and the market with us.
dancingwhale (06-24-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 11:41 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy7777
I know you were looking for the Peridot but the one you got is really 👍 it just looks good. I don't think you overpaid at all.

It took me close to a year to find mine, and that was in 2017 when they were still depreciating. I think I paid about $15,000 under it's sticker and the seller, who responded to a WTB ad here, was surprised at the number I offered. He had bought it from the original owner with a couple thousand miles on it in 2013, and my offer was about what he paid for the car.

As an aside, I know where the highest priced BAT Cayman R sale ($91,000 plus fees) lives. It sits in a car condo where it hasn't moved since its purchase a few years ago. I'm sure it will eventually resurface, but for now it's not being used, which is a shame.
Thanks, Andy ! I'm happy with the outcome, and I think Meteor will grow on me. I was hoping for a bit of a bargain, but the final # was actually precisely what I considered to be FMV for that car as spec'd with that mileage. Can't wait to give it some extensive paint correcting and see how dynamic it is in person.

Shame about that R just sitting. I suspect a 4k mile car today would very easily top 100 on BaT tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Zach L
This will not be true. The more confident and widespread this thinking is, the bigger the correction will be when it happens, not if it happens. Trends and preferences change. Look at the guys holding onto vintage muscle cars or pre-war cars. The market has moved on from them and it will eventually move on from what's hot right now, probably more quickly than it did prior. While I enjoy my 6-speed manual R, the future buyers won't even know how to drive it. And even being in my late-30's I can say there will be a time when the old dudes (including me) die off, and the market with us.
Agree to disagree. Note that I said specifically PCar supply and demand. Wasn't commenting on any other make. No point in arguing over opinions, but I'd challenge you to name a low production P model from inception to now that hasn't maintained or gained over a 15 year window. For example, where's the 964 correction that people have been predicting for decades? And there's no reason to suspect that will change as attrition sets it, and ICE fades out. Cars like a CR will only become more appealing to people wanting a more authentic driving experience. Just my opinion. YMMV.
vudores (06-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 01:02 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

@jreifler nice buy! I was trying to buy this car from its previous Texas owner during the COVID craziness a few years ago, but there were issues with the Texas DMV and he wasn't able to get a title in his name since the DMV was "closed", or he was title hopping, who knows, but I walked and was bummed since it is such a cool spec. The owner before the Texas owner listed it on PCarmarket here, https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/d...he-cayman-r-5/., and I think it showed up once more on PCarmarket more recently if you do some digging and want a little more history on your new car. Congrats!
Old 06-07-2024, 01:12 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plafondles
@jreifler nice buy! I was trying to buy this car from its previous Texas owner during the COVID craziness a few years ago, but there were issues with the Texas DMV and he wasn't able to get a title in his name since the DMV was "closed", or he was title hopping, who knows, but I walked and was bummed since it is such a cool spec. The owner before the Texas owner listed it on PCarmarket here, https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/d...he-cayman-r-5/., and I think it showed up once more on PCarmarket more recently if you do some digging and want a little more history on your new car. Congrats!
Thanks! I studied both the prior PCar listings extensively. The more recent 42k mile sale had some great photography, which is what I relied on most for condition / glamour shots, as my seller used BaT's "professional" service, and it netted garbage pics. He was pretty upset about that.

I'm excited to get it. My first PCar was a Cobalt 987 that I blew up twice and eventually turned into a full-blown 4.2L race car. I loved that platform so much. Happy to get back to a refined version of it.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:40 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 81 Posts

Three Cayman Rs at a local (Denver) PCA meetup last evening:

The following 3 users liked this post by Schmed:
cpuc (06-10-2024), islaTurbine (06-07-2024), jreifler (06-07-2024)

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread