Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 PM
pdds
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Porsche...9ZZn3A&vxp=mtr

So there's this car vs a 2016 GT4 with ~2300 miles (black).

My main concern is: I'm not willing to lose $20-$30 on my cars anymore. I don't want to make money on these cars nor am I expecting to not lose money. $5k, $10k loss is realistic, so I'm looking at GT cars or other Limited editions cars eg. G Balboni.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thoughts/stories on this GT3?

TIA

Last edited by pdds; 07-13-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pdds

My main concern is: I'm not willing to lose $20-$30 on my cars anymore. I don't want to make money on these cars nor am I expecting to not lose money. $5k, $10k loss is realistic, so I'm looking at GT cars or other Limited editions cars eg. G Balboni.

TIA
To me this looks like a good clean GT3 at a good price with the miles it has on it. I'd still want to get a PPI and a look at a DME report just to be safe.

I like the GT4's and almost bought one while I was looking for the perfect GT3. I just couldn't get over the looks of the rear of the GT4. Its not as sexy looking as a GT3.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:35 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Well.....you are on a GT3 forum so I'd wager that most responders here would strongly recommend the GT3.

Fact: The GT3 is a 911. The GT4 - as good as it is - is a Cayman. Enough said.

Another fact: The GT3 you are considering is the last version of the "analog" GT3's with fewer electronic nannies than the later 991 versions, is more compact, has hydraulic (not electric) power steering and most inportant, the Mezger motorsports-derived engine.

The GT3 you are considering looks good in photographs but I would strongly recommend that you obtain a Carfax report to check it's history and if that checks out, inspect the car in person IN PERSON and have a pre-purchase inspection performed at a competent local independent Porsche repair shop. The price seems to be in line if everything checks out but is likely somewhat negotiable on a face-to-face deal, especially if ready cash or an immediate wire transfer is involved.

Regarding future value, who knows? But all the ingredients for a future classic are there with any version of the 997 GT3. Have you checked the recent asking prices of 964 RS Americas which are nowhere near the car that a GT3 is? (I had two RS Americas back in the day).

Hope this helps and happy hunting!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:38 PM
pdds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt
To me this looks like a good clean GT3 at a good price with the miles it has on it. I'd still want to get a PPI and a look at a DME report just to be safe.

I like the GT4's and almost bought one while I was looking for the perfect GT3. I just couldn't get over the looks of the rear of the GT4. Its not as sexy looking as a GT3.
Appreciate your feedback, and yes I agree, the back of the GT4 is distinct
Is the PPI and DME done at the same place usually?

Originally Posted by jackb911
Well.....you are on a GT3 forum so I'd wager that most responders here would strongly recommend the GT3.

Another fact: The GT3 you are considering is the last version of the "analog" GT3's with fewer electronic nannies than the later 991 versions, is more compact, has hydraulic (not electric) power steering and most inportant, the Mezger motorsports-derived engine.

The GT3 you are considering looks good in photographs but I would strongly recommend that you obtain a Carfax report to check it's history and if that checks out, inspect the car in person IN PERSON and have a pre-purchase inspection performed at a competent local independent Porsche repair shop. The price seems to be in line if everything checks out but is likely somewhat negotiable on a face-to-face deal, especially if ready cash or an immediate wire transfer is involved.

Regarding future value, who knows? But all the ingredients for a future classic are there with any version of the 997 GT3. Have you checked the recent asking prices of 964 RS Americas which are nowhere near the car that a GT3 is? (I had two RS Americas back in the day).

Hope this helps and happy hunting!
Yes, those were the exact things I also considered. As great and as fast as my 991 TT was, I really missed driving a manual and I've always lusted after a GT3 (in manual ).

Really appreciate the help guys!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:18 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Appreciate your feedback, and yes I agree, the back of the GT4 is distinct
Is the PPI and DME done at the same place usually?
Yes, a good Porsche repair shop should have either a PIWIS or Durametric tool from which the DME report can be pulled and printed.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:57 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

So by "enough said" do you mean the gt4 has better balance and has the potential to be an easier and faster car?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SJJ28
So by "enough said" do you mean the gt4 has better balance and has the potential to be an easier and faster car?
OK, you asked, I'll clarify. This is based on my 45 year love affair with street Porsches of pretty much every ilk except for the SUV's and sedans.

Fact: A GT4 is a Cayman which is a hardtop Boxster. Caymans and Boxsters are the entry-level Porsches. A 911 of any version is not entry-level. Am I a Porsche snob? Probably.

BTW, I had a '97 2.5 Boxster in 1997 and liked it a lot. But neither a Boxster or any iteration of a Cayman is a 911! I much prefer the driving dynamiics of the latter and I could care less about lap times since I quit tracking years ago - with a dedicated race car.

And is, "easier and faster" really the point? - if so, wouldn't a new Z07-optioned Z06 be even better?

The GT4 is a great Porsche and if that is what floats your boat, wonderful! I'd just much rather have and drive a real-deal GT3, even an old, obsolete, semi-dangerous one like the one in my garage. (sadly, I cant afford both...or a GT3RS)

Just my opinion as a geriatric, set-in-his-ways curmudgeonly Porsche snob.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

OK, you asked, I'll clarify. This is based on my 45 year love affair with street Porsches of pretty much every ilk except for the SUV's and sedans.

Fact: A GT4 is a Cayman which is a hardtop Boxster. Caymans and Boxsters are the entry-level Porsches. A 911 of any version is not entry-level. Am I a Porsche snob? Probably.

BTW, I had a '97 2.5 Boxster in 1997 and liked it a lot. But neither a Boxster or any iteration of a Cayman is a 911! I much prefer the driving dynamiics of the latter and I could care less about lap times since I quit tracking years ago - with a dedicated race car.

And is, "easier and faster" really the point? - if so, wouldn't a new Z07-optioned Z06 be even better?

The GT4 is a great Porsche and if that is what floats your boat, wonderful! I'd just much rather have and drive a real-deal GT3, even an old, obsolete, semi-dangerous one like the one in my garage. (sadly, I cant afford both...or a GT3RS)

That's like saying all 911s are really just VW beetles.

I'm really not here to stir &$@? Up, but I do think you're going at it the wrong way.

Having owned or currently owning these cars, I'd probably go for the Gt3 too. But not for the reasons you've given (we all have our opinions). The things the GT4 lack IMO are the GT motor, and the gearing to make it more fun (and faster). However, depending on its intended use, the GT4 can and will be a much better car.... you really cant go wrong.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts

I gotta agree here. Porsche would not exist without the 911. I am pretty sure I would love the GT4, but there would always be a little itch to ditch it for a GT3.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:11 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

TIA
Originally Posted by Hoyt

No wrong answer here but I picked the GT4 (Black). The 997 GT3 looked and felt dated compared to the 991 GT3 and the GT4. I didn't like the idea of dropping that much cash on a 7-10 yr old car. Also, I really liked the 991 GT3 attributes and felt the 997 was a significant compromise.

I've had the GT4 for 18 months and love it. The only car I see myself trading the GT4 for is a 991 GT3 (ideally a .2).
Old 07-16-2017, 01:35 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

TIA
Should buy a Honda then - that's a crazy assumption for a 150k sports car
Old 07-16-2017, 11:28 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 268 Posts

if the stock market lost 20%, we'd be in a recession. i hope one day i can afford one!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

did we ever find out if that's the car that had all the work done? - new engine, etc?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:14 PM
pdds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Should buy a Honda then - that's a crazy assumption for a 150k sports car
So is it safe to assume that a $150k 911 Turbo will be worth just as much in 1,2,5 years as a $150k GT3?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:15 PM
pdds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
did we ever find out if that's the car that had all the work done? - new engine, etc?

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...