Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
One of the first things I did when I got my .2 C4S this past summer was change out the transmission fluid with PTX. I thought I did everything right- made sure my Kwiklift ramps were level, drained and refilled using the correct fill port toward the front of the gearbox. Strangely, it took all of the 3 litres I could give it, without the dripping out of the hole. I was one of those guys that after the change didn't feel the postivie difference that so many were experiencing.

Fast forward to yesterday- I got to spend some quality time under the car. I did my first oil change to Motul 5W-40, and figured I'd do the front diff and AWD controller, too- the car has 11K miles on it, but the AWD controller is 6yr/60K interval so I figured I'd do it now. I also took another shot at PTX (I had had two unfortunate gear grind mis-shifts in the last couple of months and that's been bothering me), so I drained and refilled the PTX, but this time until it wouldn't take anymore and began dripping out of the fill hole- I'm guessing maybe 3.1-3.2 litres.

Already on the test drive, shifting was much better, even when the transmission is cold- First, easy. Second, able to get into it much faster than before. I don't think it's placebo effect, either, but it seems strange that just a little more fluid would make that much of a difference.
Are you sure you used the correct fill hole? There's another one just slightly higher. I did this same thing when I was refilling and when it took all 3 liters, remember that everyone said it doesn't, I found the correct hole referencing USMC's write-up and sure enough, removing that plug about 0.2 L drained out.

Find that DIY and double check the fill holes referenced there.

Pete
Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure you used the correct fill hole? There's another one just slightly higher. I did this same thing when I was refilling and when it took all 3 liters, remember that everyone said it doesn't, I found the correct hole referencing USMC's write-up and sure enough, removing that plug about 0.2 L drained out.
Yeah, I think I already said that I used the right fill hole as I'd studied the DIYs pretty thoroughly before my first attempt. You are correct, there are two. One forward toward the front of the car and a bit higher up. The correct is further back and lower, allowing a lower fill level before overflow.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PTX capacity

Pardon, but I haven't checked the owners manual on my 2010 C2S to see if it offers the tranny capacity of the C4S, but let's assume you have checked. My C2S tranny did not take the full 3 litres. Looks like about 2.9 based on what is left in the bottle. And the change provided modest improvement at 38k Miles. I am mystified by your experience. Perhaps the C4 takes more fluid.
Charlie
Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 PM
rlh23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered 3 liters myself. I've been noticing the 1st gear issue as well on my 2007 S w/ 95k miles. Hoping this will help. $105 (incl shipping) from Sunset FWIW.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts
Default Update at 114K miles....

Oh oh.... I am getting a few 1st gear jams...... yikes......

I put the PTX in at 86K miles, now at 114K, I am getting a few jams.... 28K now on this fluid. Like how it started before, I seem to only get them when I am panicking at a red light and, I think, I am moving the shifter in an arc therefore "confusing" the mechanism in the transmission. But...... it shouldn't happen.

I suspect I am getting to the beginning of the end of life for this fill of PTX.... not sure, but I am definitely getting a few but rare jams. I am experiencing not other symptoms..... although I have always had that crunchy 2nd gear thing.

I suspect I will try changing it out next year..... or sooner if I feel the frequency of jams is increasing. I don;'t want to jump and change it out..... I have a learning opportunity here to watch this stuff degrade.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 06-02-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:01 PM
motopix
Pro

I was just noticing today a few minor hangups, not jams per se, going into first and was also wondering if after 20k miles this PTX unicorn semen was losing it's magic.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motopix
I was just noticing today a few minor hangups, not jams per se, going into first and was also wondering if after 20k miles this PTX unicorn semen was losing it's magic.
I hope that's not the case as Unicorn semen is expensive.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I hope that's not the case as Unicorn semen is expensive.
Not really, I purchase my own a few years ago. They are kinda of a pain as they know their value..... divas all. I keep the guy in line by threatening to rent him out to children's birthday parties.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-02-2017, 05:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Oh oh.... I am getting a few 1st gear jams...... yikes......

I put the PTX in at 86K miles, now at 114K, I am getting a few jams.... 28K now on this fluid. Like how it started before, I seem to only get them when I am panicking at a red light and, I think, I am moving the shifter in an arc therefore "confusing" the mechanism in the transmission. But...... it shouldn't happen.

I suspect I am getting to the beginning of the end of life for this fill of PTX.... not sure, but I am definitely getting a few but rare jams. I am experiencing not other symptoms..... although I have always had that crunchy 2nd gear thing.

I suspect I will try changing it out next year..... or sooner if I feel the frequency of jams is increasing. I don;'t want to jump and change it out..... I have a learning opportunity here to watch this stuff degrade.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
A 1st gear jam is typical in most trannies. Just double clutch.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
A 1st gear jam is typical in most trannies. Just double clutch.
Is this your first car? No it is not typical in most trannies. Unless you mean the other kind, then I'll defer to you.

edit: all in good humour, i promise.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by motopix
Is this your first car? No it is not typical in most trannies. Unless you mean the other kind, then I'll defer to you.

edit: all in good humour, i promise.
In good humor? Yes, most trannies 1st synchro is notchy. And yes I have had many manual tranny cars including Porsches. Double clutch! It's good for the synchros
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 944 Turbo did it, my boxster did it and so does my 997.1. No fun at a stoplight but double clutching to spin the cogs a tad always works.

And by the way, I will not be adding bull semen to my gearbox, only Dolphin semen will do.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 391 Likes on 163 Posts

.. we have the PTX on sale in 1L bottles now with free shipping for $34.95/each, our bottles are unmarked but come from the 20L container from Porsche:

https://rennpart.com/product/mobil-1...-90-1l-bottle/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 06-18-2017, 11:50 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Will change again after 10K and maybe the 2nd fill will be smoother. These Aisin trannies just plain suck.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I changed to PTX fluid on my 2006 c2s with 45k miles last week. I don't know if the fluid was ever changed before I bought the car 2 years ago with 27k miles.
It shifts much better now, especially when cold. I can't tell how much is due to fresh fluid and how much is PTX-specific but I highly recommend doing it.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil