Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Who's interested in 3D printed door pocket reinforcements?
Yes
95.83%
No
4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Next 3D printing project.....Door Pocket reinforcements.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:31 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add me to your growing list of those who need reinforcements for non hi-fi pockets. (L&R side)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Added the slight projection to the Hifi piece as well and ordered a print. This fixes the problem that the surface under the edge of that pocket is uneven. There are screws which are covered in vinyl. To model an edge that conforms to that isn't practical so the overhang hides the worst of it from above.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

gmorat, after reading through this thread, it seems youve done a few more prototype prints than you might have expected? I know people have offered to help with the prints, but if you want to run a few iterations at once just for test pieces (because they will be PLA), I can print some sets for you. I dont need any pieces thankfully for my car, but just want to help if you can use it.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phoneyman
gmorat, after reading through this thread, it seems youve done a few more prototype prints than you might have expected? I know people have offered to help with the prints, but if you want to run a few iterations at once just for test pieces (because they will be PLA), I can print some sets for you. I dont need any pieces thankfully for my car, but just want to help if you can use it.
Thanks, but I am pretty much done at this stage. The prints I get back tomorrow should be the last ones I get done before taking orders and organising a batch to be printed for reals!

G
Old 05-05-2016, 01:08 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I'm going to try something different because of print quality issues. The pieces are warping in ABS so I may end up going with Shapeways and people would just order the pockets reinforcements they want from them.

As overhangs and underhangs aren't an issue, it would allow me to be more complex with the design without affecting strength but also minimizing material.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

This is them on Shapeways. I have a set in production. If they turn out as I hope I will make it so that anybody will be able to buy a set off of that site. I'll continue to talk to my printer, but as a low-stress solution for me, I like the thought of outsourcing the production/QA\shipping etc.

G

Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 AM
willus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the effort you put into the bumperette delete, and I know it must have been a ton of logistical work.

I think going with Shapeways for future projects is a win-win for you and rennlisters interested in your projects.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by willus
I really appreciate the effort you put into the bumperette delete, and I know it must have been a ton of logistical work.

I think going with Shapeways for future projects is a win-win for you and rennlisters interested in your projects.
The bumperettes finish from Shapeways just wasn't good enough which is why I had to have them printed and shipped. This is going to be black and in a pocket, its overhang will hide a multitude of sins so I think in the scheme of things, it will be the better way to go.

Hopefully, I'll have them up for people to order early next week. At that point, I will do a similarly elegant Hifi and hang my hat up until something else in my car bugs the crap out of me. Fake pulls to get rid of blanks on the lower dash? Who knows? Suggestions welcome.

G
Old 05-05-2016, 12:53 PM
423423dsa
Instructor

I really appreciate your efforts. Thanks so much for your fine design skills!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Here is the design for the Hifi units completed in the same style as the non-hifi ones.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellent, great work these look just about perfect for HiFi cars!

Originally Posted by gmorat
Here is the design for the Hifi units completed in the same style as the non-hifi ones.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

A few quick updates......

The price on these is actually going to be in the $50-60 range rather than the previously stated $80-90. They are cheaper to produce than the bumperettes and with the latest refining of the design to remove unnecessary material, the cost were considerably lower than initial projections. If you look at the first post on this thread, you can see how I was so far out as the initial design is military grade and completely over the top.

srbean, 2 new sets of prints are on their way to you. I have a set of the more complex prints on their way to me from Shapeways for my non-hifi car. As soon as that arrives I will test fit them and if they are good, I will put the Shapeways link up on a new thread.

I had to modify the non-hifi piece from what is seen above to reduce the projection from the outside edge which was stopping the piece from sitting in place correctly.

Hifi

Non-hifi

Depending on how the fitting goes for srbean, I'll make a decision on whether to release the hifi pieces as beta, where I am prepared to make small changes to the model based on the feedback I receive.

The benefit of Shapeways for me is that once figured out and proven to be printable, I have no further involvement in their production. It's a set and forget type deal for me. If somebody comes along in 6 months and wants a set, they are there, on the site, ready to be printed.

G
Old 05-08-2016, 10:36 AM
423423dsa
Instructor

Fantastic! Thanks g!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 AM
423423dsa
Instructor

The design with the extension fits very nice. The top and sides look fantastic, and i like the height as it supports the door hatch litch which tended to bow a bet if your elbow leaned on it.

The second set, did not fit well at all. The dimensions were off side to side, and the bottom had a gap. It seems as though this can be taken out of the selection process.

Thanks guys!

Once the other screws are adjusted, this should suck everything up nice, and the fit is superb!

Fantastic, and supports the compartment lid.

Not so good. . . .

Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Does the overhang sit on top of the original plastic or is there a gap between it and the new piece?

Is the projection a little tight to the side of the pocket or is the clearance close but not rubbing against it?

Is the overhang too thick? If it were a mm thinner would that be better?

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy!

I like the thought of this design which can only be printed in an SLS machine vs just extruding via FDM. I'm trying to make it look as finished and professional as possible, removing material where it isn't necessary.

G

Quick Reply: Next 3D printing project.....Door Pocket reinforcements.