Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Who's interested in 3D printed door pocket reinforcements?
Yes
95.89%
No
4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Next 3D printing project.....Door Pocket reinforcements.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:21 PM
423423dsa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the overhang sit on top of the original plastic or is there a gap between it and the new piece? It sits perfectly on top.

Is the projection a little tight to the side of the pocket or is the clearance close but not rubbing against it? The projection is good.

Is the overhang too thick? Nope If it were a mm thinner would that be better? The current thickness aligns the overall appearance of the door compartment cover with the door handle. The door compartment cover rests on the top of this piece and to be overly picky, maybe a .5mm thicker would work?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:22 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by srbean
Does the overhang sit on top of the original plastic or is there a gap between it and the new piece? It sits perfectly on top.

Is the projection a little tight to the side of the pocket or is the clearance close but not rubbing against it? The projection is good.

Is the overhang too thick? Nope If it were a mm thinner would that be better? The current thickness aligns the overall appearance of the door compartment cover with the door handle. The door compartment cover rests on the top of this piece and to be overly picky, maybe a .5mm thicker would work?

Thanks!
That might just be overly picky

Might call this one done. I'll order a Shapeways print and see how it turns out. I have a non-hifi print on the way from Shapeways as we speak.

G
Old 05-12-2016, 04:22 PM
willus
Instructor

I am looking forward to these. I hope the Shapeways prints work out.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:33 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by willus
I am looking forward to these. I hope the Shapeways prints work out.
I'm 99% confident that the Shapeways prints will work out great. I actually have them listed as a BETA at the moment on the Shapeways site and while technically they can be ordered, I will wait till I get my non-hifi print fitted before releasing the url. For the hifi units, there is a set in production that will be test fitted by another Rennlister and if that goes well I will release that url. It will take a while longer though as he placed his order a number of days after I placed mine. Shouldn't be long now at all though.

For very damaged plastic and for very picky owners, this should be the solution.

If there is a consensus on what would make the pieces better, I can always roll those changes into future models while I think about what else is needed on these cars.

G
Old 05-12-2016, 04:37 PM
423423dsa
Instructor

Is there any way for you to apply a "leatherique" or "lizard skin" texture map to the prints?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Is there any way for you to apply a "leatherique" or "lizard skin" texture map to the prints?
Can't imagine how.

G
Old 05-12-2016, 05:26 PM
423423dsa
Instructor

With displacement mapping?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:29 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

With displacement mapping?
Displacement mapping is a trick. There's no extra geometry. It's essentially a more complex form of bump-mapping. The only way to do it would be to apply an actual pattern to the model itself. It's possible, but it's just not probable.

G
Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Hi Gmorat

Congratulations - your products have gone from a First To Try product to a successfully printed product in some materials.

Why did this happen?
After the most recent purchase of your products, we calculated a print success rate that is now greater than 80% for the following products and materials:

Porsche 911 993 Door Pocket reinforce is no longer First To Try in:
White Strong & Flexible
Black Strong & Flexible
What does this mean?
This means that we can confidently make your product, and you can confidently sell your product to customers in these materials.

We've updated each product page so that these materials are now listed as "Products". This is to help your customers feel confident that they're purchasing a product that can be successfully made.
What's next?
This is a great time for you to think about how you want to sell and promote your product now that's no longer a First To Try product. Our shop owner tutorials are a great place to start.

Kind regards,

The Shapeways Team

AND!......

Hi Gmorat

Congratulations - your products have gone from a First To Try product to a successfully printed product in some materials.

Why did this happen?
After the most recent purchase of your products, we calculated a print success rate that is now greater than 80% for the following products and materials:

Porsche 911 993 Hifi Door Pocket reinforce is no longer First To Try in:
White Strong & Flexible
Black Strong & Flexible
What does this mean?
This means that we can confidently make your product, and you can confidently sell your product to customers in these materials.

We've updated each product page so that these materials are now listed as "Products". This is to help your customers feel confident that they're purchasing a product that can be successfully made.
What's next?
This is a great time for you to think about how you want to sell and promote your product now that's no longer a First To Try product. Our shop owner tutorials are a great place to start.

Kind regards,

The Shapeways Team
Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So from your POV are these complete and ready to go?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
So from your POV are these complete and ready to go?
I would wait for the prints to be fitted for the final thumbs up. At that point I will post the url to each of them. It's good to know that there is no reason the shape won't print though.

G
Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

My prints from Shapeways will arrive on Friday. I hope to be able to fit them immediately and put my damn door-pockets back in my car before my wife comes back from a trip with her parents and sees them still sitting on the couch in the Den, as they have been for the last two months
Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

So here we are. My set arrived yesterday and I test fitted them this morning. They fit like a glove. The Shapeways material is strong, slightly flexible and has a slight texture to it so that it feels matte. It looks more exaggerated in theses photos because they are extreme close-ups. If you feel the need for a smoother surface, you can order the pieces in a polished white finish and then paint them yourself match the surrounding materials.

All in all, as a solution that removes me from the equation in regards to having to produce, receive, package and ship these out to interested parties, I'm a fan.

The pieces.....

My drivers side is held together with tape.....

The piece in place....

From above....

Anyway, if you want a set, the link to the non-Hifi parts are here.......

http://shpws.me/M9KP

And the BETA version of the Hifi parts are here.....

http://shpws.me/M9Oy

The reason for the BETA designation is that, while it has been successfully printed by Shapeways, that version of the piece hasn't been tested on a car. A 3D print of the same model has been printed non-professionally and test fitted successfully in ABS.

For the New Zealanders, Shapeways doesn't seem to have a Southern Hemisphere hub. My recommendation would be to order the number you want together and have them sent to your groups American address to be forwarded from there.

Thanks for all the feedback and support.

Gmorat
Old 05-21-2016, 11:49 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Ordered a set. Thanks for your effort on this!

Originally Posted by gmorat
So here we are. My set arrived yesterday and I test fitted them this morning. They fit like a glove. The Shapeways material is strong, slightly flexible and has a slight texture to it so that it feels matte. It looks more exaggerated in theses photos because they are extreme close-ups. If you feel the need for a smoother surface, you can order the pieces in a polished white finish and then paint them yourself match the surrounding materials.

All in all, as a solution that removes me from the equation in regards to having to produce, receive, package and ship these out to interested parties, I'm a fan.

The pieces.....

My drivers side is held together with tape.....

The piece in place....

From above....

Anyway, if you want a set, the link to the non-Hifi parts are here.......

http://shpws.me/M9KP

And the BETA version of the Hifi parts are here.....

http://shpws.me/M9Oy

The reason for the BETA designation is that, while it has been successfully printed by Shapeways, that version of the piece hasn't been tested on a car. A 3D print of the same model has been printed non-professionally and test fitted successfully in ABS.

For the New Zealanders, Shapeways doesn't seem to have a Southern Hemisphere hub. My recommendation would be to order the number you want together and have them sent to your groups American address to be forwarded from there.

Thanks for all the feedback and support.

Gmorat
Old 05-21-2016, 12:54 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

And installed!

Passenger sided.....

No obstruction on lid.

The sliver at the front is the leatherette.

Drivers side.

Quick Reply: Next 3D printing project.....Door Pocket reinforcements.