Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and it you want to watch any of the Targa updates have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EngineBlockTV
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

First competition cars start stage 25 (gentle Annie's 2) at 14:50 today. First stage tomorrow is tukituki and comp cars start at 8:30. Tour cars start aprox 45mins before these times. Hope this helps. Excuse typos etc I'm on mobile.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Here are stage start times:

http://targa.co.nz/data/media/docume...%20and%20S.pdf

And maps:

http://targa.co.nz/data/media/docume...re%20Times.pdf
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys. Time is so limited. Been running four days, 2000 kms (around 750 of those "flat out") little time for sleep or email. Not sure how those main competitors do it. To say this is the most awesome car thing Ive ever done in my life (includes Nurburgring) is an understatement. Great crew this year no formal" speed limits/bans (we hit 197 in the rain on our first stage in the rain on teh first day! Have reeled it in a bit since however!!!!). Great great roads and scenery, perfect weather and so much more. One day to go to bring the 993 home in one piece (with plenty of stone chips). 36 cars left on tour 8 now out to accident or mechanical failure. Its hard on machines, paintwork and tyres!

Will be more pics - heres a few...
Attached Images      
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. Thanks Sean for your big smiles and being a great bloke on the day. Great to have a big smile and wave before a hard out run!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Macca;9947721]Its hard on machines, paintwork and tyres! /QUOTE]

Hummm - yes - I would have to agree with all your comments.

So, are you going to do it again next year...............?

Last edited by kiwi 911; 10-26-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Thanks Sean and Nik. Missed Mark tonight at Havelock North domain - I think by only 15 odd minutes. Fingers crossed I will catch the Tukituki stage in the morning. Flew long-haul landing Wednesday so the fingers crossed is based on how well I sleep tonight!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Andrew. So sorry to have missed you this afternoon. Jo and I were glad to escape a little early today before heading out to dinner at the Black Bean vineyard this evening. We will be at the domain early for kick off for the day and back again in the afternoon at the end of the Targa event. It would be great to catch up and tell you all about it. your new home is blessed by being close to some great roads. "Gentle Annie 1+2" as Sean will tell you are remarkable. They have only just been sealed (being gravel before) and are now rated in the top three NZ drivers roads. These were a great run for us today. We drove consistent and hard managing a very high average over the 80km. Plenty of downhill and twisty stuff in there which the 911 just loved. I have the trackit hardwire installed so can download the telemetry for each stage for my car and try and figure out how to post it. Generally speaking its been a very fast run. We had 5 Astons today, a Lambo Gallado (the other one spun out day 2 and sustained some small (but expensive) damage, a Ferrari 612, R35 GTR, new 991S etc etc. Generally speaking our highs during each day haven't often exceeded 165-175kmph but that's because we have kept them in check (many opportunities to go faster.

Would I do it again. Ask me tommorow when/if I complete the event intact! If I do the answer is certainly 100% yes! We were booking the Bambina for next year and its been cancelled. We have something exciting lined up in Europe for 2013 car wise and it clashes with Targa NZ. That leaves us with Targa Rotorua. Not keen on a winter drive but will now strongly consider it....

Fingers crossed tomorrow...

PS. we have met many like minded people and "characters" on this event which has made it almost as worthwhile as the driving itself. Its a true rebel stronghold!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Great to catch up today Mark (and of course Jo) and a huge congratulations to both of you on successfully completing the Targa. PMd my mobile in case you need any help getting the 993 back to Auckland. Have a great 7 weeks relaxing. Look forward to seeing photos and telemetry when you get a moment. Andrew
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Massive respect for Macca, they were highly technical stages on sometimes less than ideal road surfaces and many other drivers (with a lot more technology!) weren't up to the task.

In general it was great to see so many Porsches out there. There's nothing quite like the sound of a flat 6 reverberating off valley walls!

I'm now gagging for Rotorua in May but will have to make do with track days until then!

Hopefully see you tomorrow with the car.

PS- if you haven't seen Macca's car make sure you track him down when he's in the country. It's something special!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ 911
Great to catch up today Mark (and of course Jo) and a huge congratulations to both of you on successfully completing the Targa. PMd my mobile in case you need any help getting the 993 back to Auckland. Have a great 7 weeks relaxing. Look forward to seeing photos and telemetry when you get a moment. Andrew
I think we some time this summer we should organize a long weekend down around Napier with some runs through the Annies and other surrounding areas. Amazing. Even the new seal on Napier- Taupo was a blast. Add to that the wineries and the beaches and it surely makes for a cracking weekend.

What do you think?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Great idea Sean. Nik is based here too and has a pile of local knowledge. Believe it or not there is a Carrera GT floating around town that might be keen to join in the fun. If you are into kiwi music, Fat Freddy's Drop are the main act at the Winery Tour on Waitangi Day at the Mission in Napier.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Perhaps I could set up a survey monkey with some different weekends over summer and we all vote?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great pics Macca and thanks for letting us live vicariously through your efforts!

Just wondering who all has track days booked between now and NY? I was thinking of taking a run out to Hampton for the twilight session on Wed if there are spots left - good weather by the looks. Think the 17 Nov date is all sold - not sure about 1 Dec? Have been loving the road driving but need a bit of track time before finalising what to do with suspension.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Great pics Macca and thanks for letting us live vicariously through your efforts!

Just wondering who all has track days booked between now and NY? I was thinking of taking a run out to Hampton for the twilight session on Wed if there are spots left - good weather by the looks. Think the 17 Nov date is all sold - not sure about 1 Dec? Have been loving the road driving but need a bit of track time before finalising what to do with suspension.
Hi mate, I'm there with Steve for all those sessions. Drop them a note, they might squeeze you in on the 17th...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?