Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
350Z

Supercharged

All in the (terrible) article
You're right. The 370 does seem to be changing up though the gears reasonable smartly. Just didn't look like they were all doing 250+ at the end. If real, the GT3 was slow to respond to the 370 and appears to have buttoned off smartly at the end (probably trying to salvage some face). This looks to have been a job better suited to a seriously modded Turbo!

Interesting how the roadside markers remain at approximately 1 sec intervals as opposed to our regular spacing.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shiraz
Here's that Golf in its natural environment:

Looks to be a twin turboed R32 engine and AWD by SR-Tuning:
http://www.sr-tuning-hamburg.de/SR_T...alerie.html#11

and there are even beastlier 1000+HP ones out there too:
Old 06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of Mk1 Golfs out there with later model GTI turbo charged engines in them. With a bigger turbo you can get around 350-400BHP. In a car that weighs 830Kg you can understand why the Golf could out grunt a standard GT3.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Turbo 3.6 rebuild is being documented on the 964 forum if you are interested.

For some reason I love this news about the body most.

Onto the body shop - Phil is a true 100% perfectionist - we are in really good hands - I know it will come back perfect - John , you would have been very proud , he's never seen an d Porsche with wait for it - Not 1mm if rust anywhere on it's immaculate original panels . The car has had some filler in it where normal wear and tear has happened - but no more - the panel beater (whose name I can't remember - lovy chap though ) had removed and mended every relevant but so the lines are 100 % perfect with not an ounce of filler on the whole car - so we have a rust and filler free bare metal re spray that will be done in a fully sealed environment - they have done / will do the following :

Removed what is estimated to be over 20kg of paint ! (15 layers - 3 coats)

Then added 5 coats highly build primer.
2 coats acid etched ( rust protector)
1 coat wet primer
4 coats colour - had 3 swatch cards to chose from - gone for proper 1993 colour !
3 coats of laquer
Cut - to make lacquer mirror finish
Polish

Phil has purposely gone out and bought a brand new top of the range paint gun ! He's very fired up about the whole thing

The metal that finished feels amazing - as smooth as fresh plaster - I am really excited !
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone point me to the best spot to get calipers repainted. Haslers want $350 per caliper.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I can attest drivers in Iowa are significantly advantaged due to the wider lanes, and less curves. Same goes for the 7+ surrounding states.

I'm all for more automation and less control by the masses. What needs to come with it is a channel to earn your own right to make the decisions -- driver licenses would be just that much tougher to earn. Having a way to be included in the "professional" drivers would be important, as they (truckers, construction, emergency) will be around much longer than the regular plebes commuting.

Having lost 5+ hours of my life in the last week to four irresponsible accidents on the motorway, I am all for making driver exams far tougher (Germany-style) or dumbing it down (politicians' favorite method) to improve efficiency.

CS

Originally Posted by Macca
Message from my investment advisor. Bloody scary isn't it. All of this will become true in our life times!!

Last week, I presented an overview of my recent 17-day, 4,218-mile road trip to and through the American Midwest and back.

Today, I focus on the automotive aspects of the trip, with a little historical perspective as well as a look into the future.

The first amateur transcontinental automobile trip took place in 1908, when J.M. Murdoch drove his wife, two children, and a “competent mechanic” from Los Angeles to New York in a Packard “Thirty” Touring car. They carried three spare tires and nine spare inner tubes, as well as a wide assortment of tools, including shovels, lanterns, poles, pick axe, broad axe, sledgehammer, winch, rope, camp stove, cooking supplies, buckets, extra gasoline, cylinder oil and more. They covered 3,694 miles in 32 days, 5 hours and 25 minutes, breaking the transcontinental record by a substantial amount—even though they “laid over” for rest on Sundays and two other days.

Our preparations were simpler.

I made hotel reservations for every night.

I bought an up-to-date atlas, so we could get a big-picture view of our surroundings while the Tesla (armed with Google Maps) took care of the precise navigational details.

My wife stocked up on water and healthy snacks, so we were never reduced to eating junk food or road food.

I topped off the windshield washer fluid (the only owner-accessible liquid in the Tesla).

I bought an extra can of Fix-A-Flat (the Tesla carries no spare tire).

And I made a detailed plan of exactly where we would recharge (with alternate plans as well).

And the planning paid off. We suffered no flat tires and slept comfortably every night, exactly as planned.

Our only hardship, as some would call it, was making 33 charging stops, where a comparable gasoline-fueled sedan, say a BMW 7-class, might have used as few as 11 fueling stops.

But the BMW’s fuel would have cost nearly $700, while I paid for charging only once (in Memphis). I did, however, pay for parking (generally in hotel garages) seven times, in part to get “free” overnight charging.

For the record, we used 14 Tesla Superchargers, which recharged the battery very quickly (at rates up to 375 miles of charge per hour), 18 Level 2 chargers, which recharged the battery at rates ranging from 16 to 45 mph (fine for overnight charging), and one simple 110-v wall outlet (in Canada), which recharged the battery at a tortoise-like 4 mph.

And the time spent charging gave us time to take bathroom breaks, stretch our legs, and meet some interesting people, like this Harley Davidson salesman in Albert Lea, Minnesota. (He’s been selling Harleys for 30 years and his interest in electric cars is less than Vladimir Putin’s interest in transparency.)

Other general observations:

Driving is easy in Iowa. Not only are the cars far apart, but the roads are straight, and no one’s in a hurry! On the east coast, the cars are close together, traffic patterns are crazy and almost everyone is in a hurry! I believe there’s a correlation.

Truck drivers are dependably good drivers; in fact, we had a great time saving energy by drafting behind trucks on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis.

On the other hand, the scariest drivers on the road are the people who use their phones to text or check Facebook while they drive.

Overall, it was a fabulous road trip, and I’m very happy we did it.

And I’m very excited about the revolutionary changes I see coming for the automotive industry.

The Future of Automobiles

The shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources is well under way and will accelerate as automobiles using these new energy sources become more competitively priced and more convenient to use—which will bring some creative destruction to the energy industry. (Most people don’t see it coming yet, but that’s typical when it comes to long-entrenched technologies.)

Self-driving cars are becoming practical now, and not a minute too soon. The sooner we can get the steering wheels out of the control of those multi-tasking motorists and under the control of logical machines the better. (The insurance companies know this day is coming, and they’re planning for an era of sharp reductions in claims.)

Car-sharing will proliferate, as options like ZipCar and Uber and Lyft make automobile ownership less attractive. And as we leave more and more of the driving to professionals and machines, more and more people will forego the opportunity to learn to drive altogether.

The number of automobile dealers will shrink dramatically, as the industry consolidates under the forces of shrinking sales (all that car-sharing) and direct-to-consumer sales models like Tesla’s. CarMax (KMX) and AutoNation (AN) are leading the way here.

Parking will become less of a problem, as a shrinking number of cars, combined with cloud intelligence, enable a more rational allocation of parking resources.

In short, the future looks bright, especially for people who like change!will forego the opportunity to learn to drive altogether.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CS Mende
What needs to come with it is a channel to earn your own right to make the decisions -- driver licenses would be just that much tougher to earn. Having a way to be included in the "professional" drivers would be important, as they (truckers, construction, emergency) will be around much longer than the regular plebes commuting.
Half agree but I do fear that governments will eventually see to it that we effectively need an F1 FIA Superlicence just to be allowed to commute among the driverless and all-reporting drones. Oh, and a commercial pilot grade medical clearance before even being considered for that.

Most will no longer be allowed to jump in a Toyota Corolla, never mind something like the Porsche based 9ff GT9.

BTW, if you've never seen Chris Harris looking almost intimidated, check out his review of it here:

Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I can attest drivers in Iowa are significantly advantaged due to the wider lanes, and less curves. Same goes for the 7+ surrounding states.

I'm all for more automation and less control by the masses. What needs to come with it is a channel to earn your own right to make the decisions -- driver licenses would be just that much tougher to earn. Having a way to be included in the "professional" drivers would be important, as they (truckers, construction, emergency) will be around much longer than the regular plebes commuting.

Having lost 5+ hours of my life in the last week to four irresponsible accidents on the motorway, I am all for making driver exams far tougher (Germany-style) or dumbing it down (politicians' favorite method) to improve efficiency.

CS
Its always refreshing hearing the views of someone recently immigrated to the Land of the Long White Cloud. Its as close as you will get to someone from the outside looking in...

I agree with your views on this. Politicians and Government have few sacred cows. One of the is tax. If only they could grasp the cost of productivity to the economy those 5 wasted hours on the way to the office (or home) that those accidents have cost the country!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:29 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Most will no longer be allowed to jump in a Toyota Corolla, never mind something like the Porsche based 9ff GT9.

BTW, if you've never seen Chris Harris looking almost intimidated, check out his review of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ffYokJgg5s
Name:  3923-17.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  241.5 KB

The interior really sums up all there is to be said about these types of "tuner" cars.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Attachment 942126

The interior really sums up all there is to be said about these types of "tuner" cars.
Jesus wept!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John think it was you looking for finest gear for set up of driving simulator. This brand is much recommended by many...

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steerin...18-rsr-us.html
Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been doing a fair bit of reading/watching on the rise of AI lately and none of it is good news. As far as cars go I think it is the same. When perfect computers rule the road why would governments even allow people onto them to drive themselves and possibly cause accidents? What is more likely to happen first is that insurance companies will price it out of reach. Cars will be priced based on how much computer assisted driving they have and all driving will be monitored. If you could be found to be in any way at fault and outside the bounds of the law, 1kph over the limit or without your headlights on at the exact moment of dusk, they will decline you cover. My only hope is that the love of driving proves so strong a lot more tracks are built for the remaining people who want to do it themselves.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:06 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus wept!
Makes my eyes hurt. No, you cannot just sew a sparco suit to the dash and call it cool.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

John think it was you looking for finest gear for set up of driving simulator. This brand is much recommended by many...

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steerin...18-rsr-us.html
Macca, I'm tempted as Project doesn't work with Logitech G27 wheels on the PS4 platform (it's a Logitech issue as they no longer support their wheels), but right now I'd be happy to be in the same country as the gear I have. This travel lark is getting old.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?