Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
My last set was 06 front/01 rear (still half+ left, but swapped for the SITT), current set is 08 all round. Prior to that I've run Pagid RS29 on various cars and been happy with them.

The nice thing about the PFCs is they're pre-bedded and good down to the backing plate. The Pagids are trash once they're half-worn, but the RS compound is quite old now and that's (hopefully) been addressed with the newer RSL compounds.

Endless doesn't seem to be very good value for money.

Worth noting that there are new compounds coming out. 08 supersedes 06 and both are now superseded by 12. 11 supersedes 01. 13, 14, 15 also available depending on specific needs.
You don't see much other than 08, 06 and 01 in Porsche sizes though. I did see some 11's a while back but even PFC's own website is terribly old and needs an update.
http://www.performancefriction.com/m...criptions.aspx
Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Great, let's start an oil conversation...NOT.
Sure - will spare everyone the tribological trauma.

Originally Posted by mjg
The nice thing about the PFCs is they're pre-bedded and good down to the backing plate.
Racebrakes just told me the RS19/29 have an insulation layer in front of the backing plate and that layer it is not a brake compound. Pre-bedded is nice. Considerable stress immediately pre-race on Sunday as I whipped the Grinch off to a 'secret location' to bed the Hawk Blues John had just fitted up front. Does everyone realise Hampton is right next to a prison?

Matt: I have a spare medium helmet that should comply but it's a full face.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
You don't see much other than 08, 06 and 01 in Porsche sizes though. I did see some 11's a while back but even PFC's own website is terribly old and needs an update.
http://www.performancefriction.com/m...criptions.aspx
How'd you get to that link? It is out of date and they should take it down or redirect to the updated page.

If you click Motorsports -> Compound Descriptions, you're taken to http://www.performancefriction.com/m...criptions.aspx which is current.

I haven't seen the other new compounds in Porsche shapes yet, but 11 is available for most Porsches: http://www.apexperformance.net/CartG...es-porsche.asp. 11 is what the 991 Cup cars are delivered with, apparently.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Racebrakes just told me the RS19/29 have an insulation layer in front of the backing plate and that layer it is not a brake compound.
Interesting, will have to have a closer look next time I've got a set handy. I wonder how thick it is. That could explain the behaviour I mentioned.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Would you class it as an S, M or L? (being a banker....No XL's right???) haha
If I recall correclty it's a large. I can get my wife to check this evening.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjg
How'd you get to that link? It is out of date and they should take it down or redirect to the updated page.

If you click Motorsports -> Compound Descriptions, you're taken to http://www.performancefriction.com/m...criptions.aspx which is current.

I haven't seen the other new compounds in Porsche shapes yet, but 11 is available for most Porsches: http://www.apexperformance.net/CartG...es-porsche.asp. 11 is what the 991 Cup cars are delivered with, apparently.

Interesting, will have to have a closer look next time I've got a set handy. I wonder how thick it is. That could explain the behaviour I mentioned.
dunno I did a google search! Yes that newer page is better, and yes the cup cars are with 11 now. It's an upgraded 08 with 01 levels of bite I heard, which seems to differ from PFC's own description. The PFC's do transmit more heat than anything else I've used, however I am able to brake much harder...You'd know better with your direct use comparison too.

Chris Taylor - lots of Cayman info on Planet-9 forums. Looks like 08 fronts and 06 rears, but I'd be going same on all 4's with the cayman's more neutral grip levels. 08 or 06. 08 has more progressive initial bite apparently. 01 or 11 is prob too aggressive for road use, and cold bite will be a problem. I'm sure Matt G can comment on how driving down from Aucks on 01's was??
Old 05-06-2015, 03:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Would you class it as an S, M or L? (being a banker....No XL's right???) haha
Large size

FIA 8858-2010
Attached Images   
Old 05-06-2015, 04:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always run the pagid enduro pad (yellows) - as you get a season (they last about as long as the disks) and they didn't squeel.

I am keen to try the endless pads Macca talks about, but not sure on their durabilty.

To be honest - the brakes are so good on a Cayman R, you could just run stock and possibly look at cooling scoops (if Caymans don't have them?). I would be suprised if you had a brakes issue in a Cayman R?

When you change the pads - change the disks too for best results.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Chris Taylor - could you arrange to get Johns helmet off him?
Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'll get it to one of the other RSG Targa Tour guys and they can take it with them.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 AM
PHG
Racer

Make sure you wear a hair net.
sorry been 6 days golfing in Queenstown, otherwise would have offered mine
has mike connections etc..if you want it is available..how big your head..
Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Moochier
Instructor

I'll get it to one of the other RSG Targa Tour guys and they can take it with them.
I can meet up to grab the helmet for Matt this weekend, as he'll need it for documentation I assume. Otherwise meet up at documentation on Thursday? Let me know where and when. Cheers
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Thanks for all the brake pad feedback guys. I have also spoken to Mike from Prosport and determined the current pads are definitely not endless as they are yellow, and all endless pads are blue. Macca I gather 072 or 073 relates to the shape/wear sensor and the compound he recommended was ME20.

So current pads are either Pagid RS29 or EBC yellow. I'll have to pull them to tell...

The only reason I'm asking is that the current pads have just 5-6mm of pad left before the backing plate and want to either swap them out or at least take a new set with me on the tour.

Mike thought the endless would bite better than the RS29 and would last just as long, but he has a vested interest in his advice! Will have to find some independent reviews/data.

The PFC 08 sound like the go... But I don't believe there are any in NZ so out of the running this time.

My disks are still almost new, no lip yet. I guess it's best to skim them when fitting new pads too?

The car already has castrol srf in it from October '14 so that's good.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I have always run the pagid enduro pad (yellows) - as you get a season (they last about as long as the disks) and they didn't squeel.

I am keen to try the endless pads Macca talks about, but not sure on their durabilty.

To be honest - the brakes are so good on a Cayman R, you could just run stock and possibly look at cooling scoops (if Caymans don't have them?). I would be suprised if you had a brakes issue in a Cayman R?

When you change the pads - change the disks too for best results.
Surprisingly I couldn't see any rear air scoops on the Cayman... But haven't checked the front yet. Brakes do seem good on track, no issues there... Just need new pads soon!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Good to see the RSG Tour numbers swelling, with another late addition. Good stuff - am sure lots of fun to be had by all.

re helmets - give the amount of time they will be worn I always find it more comfortable to wear a balaclava.

Still quite a bit of car prep for me yet but hopefully will knock a few things off by the end of this week.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Large size

FIA 8858-2010
Measure around your noggin Matt and see if it is between the measurements in johns photo.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?