NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Problem is who decides someone is "blatent" or not? The guys that carry a spare ECU kind of point me to the fact that they knew theirs had been messed with, but what about guys that bought a car used (like my former car for example, that went from CA to FL to CT to (now) PA) that has been around a while that have no idea what's in there?? And really, how much more power can you get out of a stock 2.5 without changing cams/compression ratio/intake/headers? I was always told tuning was a total waste on this car compared to the "Stock E" 3.2's that can extract quite a bit. I think an honest approach would be to voluntarily submit to a check at the start of a race weekend to see what's in there with no repercussions. IF there was a replacement available swap it out, if not, mark the log book for a check the following race weekend with a DQ handed out for every race and practice if it hasn't been addressed.
Gary - the Steward decides where any cheating is blatant and whether a 13 is give for it. It takes 7-20 minutes to check a tune and the results are not instantaneous - and we only have one laptop and one cable. That makes it impossible to do anything but spot checks. The important thing is that checks are being made and that a 13 is a possible consequence.

I have zero knowledge about what happened at NJMP. The safe thing to do is have your ECU reflashed to stock at a Porsche dealer or buy a new one . I have seen many people do that over the past several weeks in many of the Stock and Spec classes.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
While I got hosed out of SPB P1 on the Enduro due to this snafu it was a blast to have to fight through the field on the restart. Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEh0wMJncnw
VERY nice driving! Makes me want to get a SPB.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
While I got hosed out of SPB P1 on the Enduro due to this snafu it was a blast to have to fight through the field on the restart. Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEh0wMJncnw
Shooting fish in a barrel.
Clubbing baby seals.
No mercy.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Gary - the Steward decides where any cheating is blatant and whether a 13 is give for it. It takes 7-20 minutes to check a tune and the results are not instantaneous - and we only have one laptop and one cable. That makes it impossible to do anything but spot checks. The important thing is that checks are being made and that a 13 is a possible consequence.

I have zero knowledge about what happened at NJMP. The safe thing to do is have your ECU reflashed to stock at a Porsche dealer or buy a new one . I have seen many people do that over the past several weeks in many of the Stock and Spec classes.
PCA is getting more aggressive with this stuff and that is good. When I registered at NJMP they told me they were going to be checking ECUs and my first question was "Can you flash them here?" and they said no. What they said was they don't have a stock tune file. I can't imagine that PCA can't get the necessary equipment to rectify a non-compliant ECU on the spot. I'm pretty sure other series do have this ability. Maybe it's just a matter of time and they are working toward that end.

If PCA allows you to just swap your ECU then what is to prevent you from putting the cheater one back in for the next weekend or later that weekend? NASA for instance is famous for the "Sunday Tune" because they don't scrute on Sundays. At least they didn't used to and suddenly the lap times drop by a good margin.

If it gets flashed then there goes your $1600 tune

EDIT: Maybe PCA should hold the bad ECU until the end of the weekend and return it.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
PCA is getting more aggressive with this stuff and that is good. When I registered at NJMP they told me they were going to be checking ECUs and my first question was "Can you flash them here?" and they said no. What they said was they don't have a stock tune file. I can't imagine that PCA can't get the necessary equipment to rectify a non-compliant ECU on the spot. I'm pretty sure other series do have this ability. Maybe it's just a matter of time and they are working toward that end.
It's not PCA's mandate to "fix" non compliant cars. It is to spot check that each car races in the correct class.

It's not easy and straightforward to return a tuned ECU to stock and many shops have recently failed to accomplish that on certain tunes. You need a PIWIS and a dealer code to do that. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as uploading it from a laptop.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I didn't say it was their mandate.

But they have done it. Unless the stories aren't true they did flash 2 cars at Road Atlanta last year.

Since the technology exists why not use it? It's not like I'm expecting PCA scutes to rebuild engines to stock or anything.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

I didn't say it was their mandate.

But they have done it. Unless the stories aren't true they did flash 2 cars at Road Atlanta last year.

Since the technology exists why not use it? It's not like I'm expecting PCA scutes to rebuild engines to stock or anything.
When we pulled the tune off my car I know it took a minimum of 6 attempts with the PIWIS and at one point my shop was pretty sure I would be buying a new ECU and we had bricked it. That's not PCA's responsibility trackside, it cost me quite a bit of $$$ in labor to have it done. It really is essentially like asking the scruts to fix your car for you but with a computer instead of a wrench. It can take all day and then you still don't know if it's still going to "read" as modified.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Well I find it odd that I'm able to purchase a tune for my F150 and a $399 device can flash my ECU thru the OBD port in just about 60 seconds and I can go between the stock and the custom tune literally in a flash.

It's not about "fixing" your car it's about forcing compliance with the rules.

So so far all suggestions have been met with resistance. Suggestions that, once again, are utilized by other series.

OK. Let the cheating continue!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

and the chopping too
Old 08-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
and the chopping too
Old 08-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Well I find it odd that I'm able to purchase a tune for my F150 and a $399 device can flash my ECU thru the OBD port in just about 60 seconds and I can go between the stock and the custom tune literally in a flash.

It's not about "fixing" your car it's about forcing compliance with the rules.

So so far all suggestions have been met with resistance. Suggestions that, once again, are utilized by other series.

No, I was just pointing out what it actually took to revert mine...

I am all for curbing out cheating and especially chopping after my first race weekend. There were a few times that had I not properly backed out despite being side by side with cars they would have taken us both out and then there are the times you can tell someone isn't going to be able to hold there line on track out even if you are nosed ahead so you have to hit the brakes and watch them shoot across the entire track to where your car would have been I quickly learned that sometimes I was driving one car but decision making for two! Other times like when running side by side with Jimmy Martin , Mike Criscito and others there was just an implicit trust and it was phenomenal!!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Problem is who decides someone is "blatent" or not? The guys that carry a spare ECU kind of point me to the fact that they knew theirs had been messed with, but what about guys that bought a car used (like my former car for example, that went from CA to FL to CT to (now) PA) that has been around a while that have no idea what's in there?? And really, how much more power can you get out of a stock 2.5 without changing cams/compression ratio/intake/headers? I was always told tuning was a total waste on this car compared to the "Stock E" 3.2's that can extract quite a bit. I think an honest approach would be to voluntarily submit to a check at the start of a race weekend to see what's in there with no repercussions. IF there was a replacement available swap it out, if not, mark the log book for a check the following race weekend with a DQ handed out for every race and practice if it hasn't been addressed.
I think PCA should make public the reasons for DQs and 13s. I don't understand why they are kept private.

Public pressure will help people to stay more honest and drive cleaner.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I am all for curbing out cheating and especially chopping after my first race weekend.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
No, I was just pointing out what it actually took to revert mine...

I am all for curbing out cheating and especially chopping after my first race weekend. There were a few times that had I not properly backed out despite being side by side with cars they would have taken us both out and then there are the times you can tell someone isn't going to be able to hold there line on track out even if you are nosed ahead so you have to hit the brakes and watch them shoot across the entire track to where your car would have been I quickly learned that sometimes I was driving one car but decision making for two! Other times like when running side by side with Jimmy Martin , Mike Criscito and others there was just an implicit trust and it was phenomenal!!
The best thing you can do if you get chopped is go talk to the driver afterwards. Before I "grew up" I used to blow my stack and get red mist. I feel a little stupid looking back.

At NJMP I got driven off twice in the opening lap of the sprint race. Afterwards I spoke with the driver and he had no idea - he thought he had cleared me. It was all good.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The best thing you can do if you get chopped is go talk to the driver afterwards. Before I "grew up" I used to blow my stack and get red mist. I feel a little stupid looking back.

At NJMP I got driven off twice in the opening lap of the sprint race. Afterwards I spoke with the driver and he had no idea - he thought he had cleared me. It was all good.
Fortunately coming from bikes you pretty much expect it and back out as a reflex. Contact on two wheels is much different than 4 In addition, there are no mirrors so the guy in front is running his own line no matter what. You just have to back off and set them up somewhere else. With that being said, you are right but it was pretty obvious who just didn't realize they were doing it and who did it every corner Fortunately I was having so much fun the only time I got the Mist was cough cough on grid but even then I was able to focus and come back to 7th overall and 3rd in class and did it the right way so it was a great learning experience and throughout the entire weekend the only thing I was not happy with was losing my cool in that moment. It was a weird grid situation obviously but still no one to blame but myself.

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown