Sponsored by:

NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:48 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Interesting, because I thought you could not have interchangeable ECUs, that they are not compatible with the OBD. Or something like that, no?
Older Boxsters are not flashable. But they can be 'upgraded' which also removes the need for it to be serialized to the car.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:37 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Interesting, because I thought you could not have interchangeable ECUs, that they are not compatible with the OBD. Or something like that, no?

It doesn't have to be original to the car, it just has to be from a 986.1 and be unmodified.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:40 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Last year I was told PCA was considering handing ECU's out at the start of every race for SPB. I told that offficial that I would support any step like that which impacted parity positively.

Personally, I don't see a downside to something like that.

Last edited by mmuller; 08-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Now I can't wait to see the official results.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Last year I was told PCA was considering handing ECU's out at the start of every race for SPB.
I'd be down for that, and anything that gives us regular guys a fighting chance! How about drawing from a hat to assign the whole car?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree with this. If you have a spare ECU just in case, you know full well what you got in the car and you're intentionally breaking the rules to get an advantage. I'd think some sort of 13 should be enforced for those cases.

So I hear two SPB's where found with tuned ECU's at NJMP. Both had the original ECU's with them, so they changed them and where allowed to continue through the weekend. This came from a source who knew first hand of the situation.

Part of me is troubled a little by this. If someone buys a car and goes racing and finds it's got a tuned ECU, that's one thing. Both of these cars where not new to the drivers and having the original ECU there ready to go would in some way show intent.

At what point does PCA call a cheater a cheater and sanction them?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Now now let's not jump to conclusions
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I was told PCA was considering handing ECU's out at the start of every race for SPB. I told that offficial that I would support any step like that which impacted parity positively.
Personally, I don't see a downside to something like that.
Speaking as someone with a lot of electronics experience, I would be concerned about the reliability of the ECU that PCA hands out. While ECUs are generally reliable, when they do have a problem it is frequently intermittent - which can be hard to replicate and find. I know my ECU works because I have used it many times prior to race weekend. What testing will PCA do to insure the ECU I am putting in my car works reliably? ECUs are not designed to be installed and removed in over 30 cars per year.

If they institute this, I hope they allow drivers to opt out if they present their own ECU for inspection.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Payback at 13:39 for how shabbily I was treated at 12:00

Overall a disaster of a weekend. Got hosed in qualifying, left the track sideways at about 100 mph in the first sprint, wasn't driving well at all in any sprint but worked my way up to a good spot then missed the 3rd Sprint because the car wouldn't start (5¢ worth of fkn wire!) then the enduro stop under yellow took my only podium chance away.

Still better than going to work

Going from last to 8th was fun though!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Streak; 08-25-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave DE
Speaking as someone with a lot of electronics experience, I would be concerned about the reliability of the ECU that PCA hands out. While ECUs are generally reliable, when they do have a problem it is frequently intermittent - which can be hard to replicate and find. I know my ECU works because I have used it many times prior to race weekend. What testing will PCA do to insure the ECU I am putting in my car works reliably? ECUs are not designed to be installed and removed in over 30 cars per year.

If they institute this, I hope they allow drivers to opt out if they present their own ECU for inspection.
Rest assured that this is not going to happen because the volunteer Scruts that run the races are not going to start wrenching on cars. The fact that the Scruts are now checking should be enough to convince people not to cheat.

PCA has the 13/13 system to deal with blatant cheaters.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
A double yellow came out and they stopped us on the front straight. For about 2:40. Guess the pace car didn't pick up the leader. Again. There were cars in the pits and they got the mother of all lucky dogs. Nothing like getting to do your pitstop while the rest of the field is stopped am I right?
While I got hosed out of SPB P1 on the Enduro due to this snafu it was a blast to have to fight through the field on the restart. Here's the video:

Overall - it was a wet track until Sunday and the only opportunity to go after the track record (1:31.556) was during a race Sunday late morning as we had no morning warm-up. After dealing with a frustrating SP3 - I finally got free track in Lap 9 and 10 after my tires were not great. Take the journey as I ALMOST get it - so frustrating to get so close twice. It's beatable and think the SPB can get a 1:31.2x in the right conditions.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow that's some serious driving. Definitely something to look up to.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:12 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 10-29-2020 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Rest assured that this is not going to happen because the volunteer Scruts that run the races are not going to start wrenching on cars. The fact that the Scruts are now checking should be enough to convince people not to cheat.

PCA has the 13/13 system to deal with blatant cheaters.
Problem is who decides someone is "blatent" or not? The guys that carry a spare ECU kind of point me to the fact that they knew theirs had been messed with, but what about guys that bought a car used (like my former car for example, that went from CA to FL to CT to (now) PA) that has been around a while that have no idea what's in there?? And really, how much more power can you get out of a stock 2.5 without changing cams/compression ratio/intake/headers? I was always told tuning was a total waste on this car compared to the "Stock E" 3.2's that can extract quite a bit. I think an honest approach would be to voluntarily submit to a check at the start of a race weekend to see what's in there with no repercussions. IF there was a replacement available swap it out, if not, mark the log book for a check the following race weekend with a DQ handed out for every race and practice if it hasn't been addressed.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Well, you were probably not ahead of the outside car (full overlap plus an inch) before the arbitrary T1 turn-in point (good luck ever achieving that against a close competitor!) so the passing rule allowed him to chop you off (deny you racing room) at will as he did many times before into the same turn. The same rule would have made it OK for you to chop off the inside car of your squeeze, as well. Remember, the car ahead at the arbitrary turn-in point "has" the corner but it doesn't "own" the corner(?). Doesn't get any clearer. Plus it encourages di*kish chops which makes for a much more fun and safe race.

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown