NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:05 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
another +1
Me too. After all constant rehashing of the same passing gripes, I'm starting to miss Kibort and GhettoRacer.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Anyone have an update on the guy who was taken out in an ambulance? Hope the guy is OK.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:35 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Me too. After all constant rehashing of the same passing gripes, I'm starting to miss Kibort and GhettoRacer.
Well, the hand-axe might come in handy for pounding out some of the bodywork anyway.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

So here's the races from a rookies perspective...

Sprint Race 1. I got lucky Jimmy was still learning the track but when I saw him hang inside of two he left outside wide open and we ran two wide through 3 before I closed him out in 4. Like I said, purely a case of me knowing the track and Jimmy getting familiar but holy crap the smile on my face is still there regardless! This was my first rolling start ever, I have a lot of work to do... LOL

Sprint Race 1. Managed to get myself qualified 3rd, finished 2nd overall and P1 in class. When the team came on the radio and gave the results I asked who they were speaking to LOL...

Sprint Race 2: Unfortunately I f'd this one up. Due to some extenuating circumstances our race was postponed and I might have still been in the bathroom when they did call grid. I lost my qualifying spot but they let me roll out in 14th rather than DFL. I think this race is the most pertinent to a lot of the discussions lately. There were plenty of times I was alongside and others would have thought they were entitled to racing room. Myself, I had it explained very clearly in the rookie meeting who the responsibility fell on to get by cleanly. This was extremely frustrating for a number of reasons. 1. I shouldn't have been back here to begin with 2. I KNEW I was faster than the group ahead. 3. I didn't have the racecraft or experience to figure out a way past and got stuck in the train 4. The car ahead was so intent on holding me back that had he let me passed I would have taken him with me, that was evident by the fact when I did get ahead I passed the two cars ahead of him in half a lap and almost caught the lead pack again. 5. The race is 5 minutes too long when you are leading and 5 minutes too short when you are chasing. I finished P7 overall and P3 in class

Moral is I hit the eject button more times than I can count but as I had it explained to me it was my responsibility and it was pretty clear the car ahead wasn't about to leave me room, nor did he have to whereas others would have realized letting me through probably would have allowed them to follow. Oh yeah, and I REALLY need to learn to get to the inside on the start LOL

Sprint Race 3...
P1 overall... Lots of chaos out there. Not going to say anything but sometimes the best thing you can do is navigate the chaos and just remain error free...

So what did I learn...
1. I have A LOT to learn
2. It's about Consistency not always outright pace
3. The focus was unlike anything I have ever experienced before in my life
4. This is a very humbling sport
5. I really like this sport
6. I am going to be broke the rest of my life trying to support this sport
7. It's amazing when Fast laps become slow laps
8. The concept of a line is non existent. Car positioning means putting the car anywhere on the track it benefits you or hampers someone else LOL
9. You better be comfortable with other vehicles in close proximity
10. Awareness and predictability are givens, not after thoughts. They have to be natural to you or you are not ready to race.

You understand that racing is still learning and not the destination...

Those were just SOME of my takeaways from the first weekend out! Did I mention I am still processing...
Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Really nice driving Paul. I especially like how you'd look over to your left while making a pass just to ensure the car was not turning in; that is a veteran move! While you got stuck behind that slower car for a while, you did the right thing and backed out of those passes. That's how you avoid contact and 13s.

Oh, and I need a PDK...Jesus that thing shifts fast.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Anyone have an update on the guy who was taken out in an ambulance? Hope the guy is OK.
I spoke with his wife the other day after I missed his call. He is recuperating at home and doing ok. Was the best missed phone call I got in a long while.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 161 Posts

That's great to hear!! I was afraid to ask - and the relative silence about it made me fear the worst. Hoping he's on his way to a quick recovery ...
Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Musche
I spoke with his wife the other day after I missed his call. He is recuperating at home and doing ok. Was the best missed phone call I got in a long while.
Wow. That is unexpected. Awesome. Just awesome.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Streak
Best news from the entire weekend! Great stuff!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 38D
Really nice driving Paul. I especially like how you'd look over to your left while making a pass just to ensure the car was not turning in; that is a veteran move! While you got stuck behind that slower car for a while, you did the right thing and backed out of those passes. That's how you avoid contact and 13s.

Oh, and I need a PDK...Jesus that thing shifts fast.
Haha, thanks it was great to be out running with all of you!!!

Yep, one of the things I am most pleased with going back and watching my videos is my head and eye movement. Definitely no forward fixation and my head was on a swivel the entire time.

It was frustrating getting stuck that's for sure, especially when you shouldn't have been there to begin with, you know you are faster and can catch the group ahead but like you said, backing out is what kept BOTH cars on track, no contact, no 13 and a P7 finish is better than a 13 any day in my book!

The goal at the beginning of the weekend was to drive smart not win...
Old 09-06-2017, 09:21 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Yes it is! Very happy for my little buddy Brian.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Rennpoints not updated for NJMP yet. Presumably because of the Orange enduro timing issues?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:15 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Road America is there, but Mosport and NJMP are not. Mosport was over a month ago
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Just saw that Road America is already there - and that was only two days ago!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Musche
That's great news considering the track rumor mill was saying some pretty bad things at the time. Glad to hear it.

Originally Posted by brownan
Rennpoints not updated for NJMP yet. Presumably because of the Orange enduro timing issues?
I hope they know how to figure it out. The further away you get from a confusing situation the more confusing it becomes.

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA Club Race 2017 Schattenbaum Showdown