Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had a similar email exchange with Walt
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
I don't think the 200 lb add will pass. If it does I might be going back to DEs.
Not so fast buddy. The only way I can get into the top 5 in a 993 is by adding 200 lbs to RSA cars. I am thinking about changing the car number to 200

I also can't believe you are falling for that cheater, Ryan's claim of no performance gain with his ABS set up. I know he runs at least 78.09% nitrogen in his tires.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Walt's note mentions RWHP, this is why I brought it up.

Geoff's engine is a 3.8 - not way over 110hp/L, but almost right at it.

Yep we both know a shop which could get the mostest, but....we'll be shooting for around 390....

His dyno pull showed 412 RWHP

So his crank HP should be 475-485 which is 125 hp/l...on pump gas

A pretty incredible engine

Good luck with your build.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I will propose a new rule, If I cannot take the passenger seat out, Let me take a driving coach with me during the race.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoD
What this man said! Ive only recently acquired a G class car, but have co-driven a few times in G, and the fast guys in G usually outperform most of H in their G cars. I believe the biggest downfall of the 964s are the small brakes. I think most guys who go to H simply go there because they add the big brakes to their car and end up in H. An easier fix would be to allow the 964 RSAs to have the big brake upgrade done in G. This would move a lot of the H 964s back into G. To make it fair for the 993 guys, allow them to shed 100lbs of weight.

I think this would be more sound, it would fill G class back up with 964s, and allow H to grow with Caymans, 996s, and 997 C2s.

I for one already think the tiny brakes on my car are too small for 2910lbs, forcing me to go up another 200lbs would really take the fun out of being in the 964.

Mo

If this stupid weight thing does not go through, I think you will find the stock brakes to be more than adequate. Coming from my E/F car with TT brakes, it took a little while to adjust.
My pedal never gets soft and I just run the sock air deflectors.
Additional front cooling will help with pad wear, but does not effect performance.
I get a whole season out of front rotors and 2 1/2 on the rear.

Sometimes the ABS is tricky in bumpy braking zones, but I have learned to adjust for that.

I don't like the big brake idea for G.
I think the way the 964's are currently classed for racing is perfect.

You can run stock and heavy in F 3181 lbs
You can run light in G as a RSA 2910
You run heavy and prepared in G 3180
You can run light and prepared in H 2910

What more do you want from a platform, that's a lot of flexibility.

Your comment about fast guys in G beating most of the H cars is true about the fast guys in all classes beating guys in faster classes.

Just goes to show the most piece of equipment is still the driver(except for PDK cars)

Looking forward to racing with you at TRAC

Last edited by flatsics; 08-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Not so fast buddy. The only way I can get into the top 5 in a 993 is by adding 200 lbs to RSA cars. I am thinking about changing the car number to 200

I also can't believe you are falling for that cheater, Ryan's claim of no performance gain with his ABS set up. I know he runs at least 78.09% nitrogen in his tires.
LOL, I paid Jim to move back to G, just so I could watch him lap you. C'mon, my Street ABS setup proposal isn't cheatin, there's no gain! Help a brother out and send in a "yea" vote.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

agree wtih doug there...most class leaders beat a class or two up drivers...Hey ive beaten a cup car in an enduro (granted he had a mechanical but it can happen)

i dont see why the seat cant be an option to take out....if someone needs to use the seat for whatever reason it does not take long at all to put it back in.
i know many say you can use whatever seat you want but also remember that cars are supposed to look nice.....seeing a brand new recaro/sparco whatever the case may be next to a blood red or purple leather seat from 1970 something is well comical.
also if i can use a stock seat that techincally could be just as much of a fire hazard as the rest of the interior I HAVE THE OPTION to remove.
i still have my wick..err interior...thought about removing it and will eventually but havent yet...maybe ill finally get down to weight....seems the car gets heavier each year (or thats me...those bon bons and soap opera's call me in the morning...i usually have to miss first practice for guiding light.)

i have to climb over that seat in order to get my camera set up, its a PIA....when i go into cup car its so freaking easy(no they dont let me drive them just turn the camera on for them...youd think theyd say here boy have fun and let me win a race or two with it i mean im a werks driver......and i can clean the rear window without my swiffer handle and yoga poses.

ok enough on this.

ABS thing made my father decide to get a street car instead of risking a race car build...hopefully ill get him to share my old yeller but to hear there is another option even though its not porsche is a nice thing and to hear its less than to replace stock sounds like a no brainer to me.

i feel better now
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
I don't think the 200 lb add will pass. If it does I might be going back to DEs.

Interesting thought about the big brakes (esp since I still have my BBK in the garage) but I don't think that would work because all others in G besides 993s won't be happy, even though they are rare from what I see (boxsters and caymans etc). When I went back down to G I didn't miss the 3.8 wing but I do miss the BBK and the wider wheels even more. I was surprised how much 1" difference makes in the tire width with the same tire. Also the drivers w/ a R&P will have to pay a lot to get that reversed. As I wrote earlier some classes have "ringers" and errr, not ringers. and the H RSA is the latter. When someone fast develops a 2013 boxster that will be the car in G. Technology marches on......

I also wrote in a request to make power steering legal in stock RSAs but that wasn't included in the comments. I'm beat to hell after a weekend and this would help I think. The C2s can run at RSA weight w/ power steering so I think RSAs should be able to run power steering but no dice I guess.

Somedays I wish I had the $ to say the hell w/ stock and go GT and forget about all this stuff. Maybe when I have to rebuild my motor I will (still Stuttgart stock).
Your comment about C2's at RSA weight with power steering is interesting.

Those cars are all illegal and should be running at 3181 lbs.
In order to run at RSA weight, you must run as a fully compliant RSA.
That means no power steering and correct G50-05 trans from 92-94.

There are a lot of 964's running in G and H at the lighter weight with power steering that are not legal.

I don't say anything though, there is already no cars in G class at most races.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by John Milne
I had proposed the removal of the passenger seat and wondered why it was not put up for comment. I emailed Walt Fricke and he provided a very interesting answer. If you have a question about this topic, I suggest you correspond with Walt.

Walt has provided his position on this matter to at least one other racer, so hopefully he will share with you.

Just for the record, I disagree with most of what Walt said in his email.

John
I for one would love to hear his logic, i'm sure it's based on the opinion of the majority and not his own personal feelings...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Mo

If this stupid weight thing does not go through, I think you will find the stock brakes to be more than adequate. Coming from my E/F car with TT brakes, it took a little while to adjust.
My pedal never gets soft and I just run the sock air deflectors.
Additional front cooling will help with pad wear, but does not affect performance.
I get a whole season out of front rotors and 2 1/2 on the rear.

Sometimes the ABS is tricky in bumpy braking zones, but I have learned to adjust for that.

I don't like the big brake idea for G.
I think the way the 964's are currently classed for racing is perfect.

You can run stock and heavy in F 3181 lbs
You can run light in G as a RSA 2910
You run heavy and prepared in G 3180
You can run light and prepared in H 2910

What more do you want from a platform, that's a lot of flexibility.

Your comment about fast guys in G beating most of the H cars is true about the fast guys in all classes beating guys in faster classes.

Just goes to show the most piece of equipment is still the driver(except for PDK cars)
Agree w/ all this. I do feel I had more braking power in H but the smaller brakes are adequate and stop well. I run PFC fluid now w/o ducts and just bleed after every weekend w/ no problems (yet). Might put in ducts at some point but don't feel the need to. I'm happy w/ the rules now for a RSA in G (power steering would be nice but I guess I need to workout more!).

Originally Posted by flatsics
Your comment about C2's at RSA weight with power steering is interesting.

Those cars are all illegal and should be running at 3181 lbs.
In order to run at RSA weight, you must run as a fully compliant RSA.
That means no power steering and correct G50-05 trans from 92-94.

There are a lot of 964's running in G and H at the lighter weight with power steering that are not legal.

I don't say anything though, there is already no cars in G class at most races.
I actually put that in my note to Rules re: power steering, which was to make it official that C2s can run at lighter weight as we need more cars to race against, not less. I want them there also, I just think I should be able to run power steering.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
agree wtih doug there...most class leaders beat a class or two up drivers...Hey ive beaten a cup car in an enduro (granted he had a mechanical but it can happen)

i dont see why the seat cant be an option to take out....if someone needs to use the seat for whatever reason it does not take long at all to put it back in.
i know many say you can use whatever seat you want but also remember that cars are supposed to look nice.....seeing a brand new recaro/sparco whatever the case may be next to a blood red or purple leather seat from 1970 something is well comical.
also if i can use a stock seat that techincally could be just as much of a fire hazard as the rest of the interior I HAVE THE OPTION to remove.
i still have my wick..err interior...thought about removing it and will eventually but havent yet...maybe ill finally get down to weight....seems the car gets heavier each year (or thats me...those bon bons and soap opera's call me in the morning...i usually have to miss first practice for guiding light.)

i have to climb over that seat in order to get my camera set up, its a PIA....when i go into cup car its so freaking easy(no they dont let me drive them just turn the camera on for them...youd think theyd say here boy have fun and let me win a race or two with it i mean im a werks driver......and i can clean the rear window without my swiffer handle and yoga poses.

ok enough on this.

ABS thing made my father decide to get a street car instead of risking a race car build...hopefully ill get him to share my old yeller but to hear there is another option even though its not porsche is a nice thing and to hear its less than to replace stock sounds like a no brainer to me.

i feel better now
I put one of these in my SC

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...Series41V#nogo

Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm putting this in mine
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I'm putting this in mine
That's what I have but mine is on casters so I can egress safely by rolling it around my microwave and mini-fridge..
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
I'm putting this in mine
better option
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That's what I have but mine is on casters so I can egress safely by rolling it around my microwave and mini-fridge..
With this one, if you end up agricultural you can do some weeding.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted