Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

That's odd, I thought that E Class 911's were allowed to change their chip as long as the stock settings were kept due to OEM chips not being available? It was done so they could "increase their horsepower"? As for the 2.5L Boxsters coming to D, I see no issue with that as D is slowly dying and the guys in E I raced at Arca were pretty darn competitive..
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bump those cars that are modded beyond the rules up a class!
One isn't modded beyond class if they are following the rule, no matter how bad the rule is.

I agree the RR shocks are a ****ty situation and shouldn't have been allowed in stock but I would guess that at least 25% or more of G stock onward cars have RR shocks, maybe more. Moving a quarter of PCA stock to prepared overnight isn't the answer either for 1 mod that they did as allowed by the rules. I also realize that those that don't have RR shocks shouldn't feel like they have to spend $$$ on those to be competitive. That said, many of Dan's cars have done extremely well on Bilstiens from what I understand incl Baron and his RSA when he owned it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know whow is driving a 2.5 Boxster in E or whatever class? I want to look at lap times.

edit: Is there a way to see what car a drover is droving on MyLaps? If not, I wish there were.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That's odd, I thought that E Class 911's were allowed to change their chip as long as the stock settings were kept...
Gary, I'm not sure why you keep saying this. That's not what the rule states. The rule says chips are FREE. The only "setting" that has to remain stock is the rev limit.

And E class 911 Carreras are not the only cars allowed to change the chip. I think it's something like 30 different models (I counted them once but I can't bring myself to do it again)... E class S2s, E class 951s, E class 968s, F class 911s, F class 944s and 968s, G class 911s, etc etc etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
IMO, the 2.5L Boxster has untapped potential in E class. I think a well driven, fully developed car could be very competitive. Think specBoxster with better suspension, LSD, and bigger and better tires...
A 2.7 Boxster is a better starting point to build an E car

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Anyone know whow is driving a 2.5 Boxster in E or whatever class? I want to look at lap times.

Spec Boxster is about the only thing running a 2.5

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Here is the slider and Boxster proposals:

‐CHANGE SEAT MOUNTING REQUIREMENTS FOR NO SEAT BACK BRACE
The current system is cumbersome to enforce, and assumes that all makers of FIA approved seats also make a
seat mount and a slider. However, most do not make both, and the FIA does not approve mounts or sliders.
The FIA does have a specification for the mounts. And the current rules requires the purchase of a new mount
and slider when a new seat is purchased if the driver wishes to continue to race without a seat back brace.
Only those who use a slider have a need not to use a brace, but where two drivers vary greatly in size, or
where a containment seat and roll cage members make exiting from the driving position very difficult, a slider
can be important. The slider used on Porsche's race cars is robust, and has stood the test of years of
professional racing. No testing is known to be done on any other type of slider to insure it can withstand the
same forces an FIA seat can withstand.
Here is the proposed rule, to take effect in 2015 if approved (so everyone has plenty of time to make a
change).
In order to race without a complying seat back brace or other exception, all the following conditions must
be met:
Page 2 of 6
1) An FIA approved race seat, within six years of its manufacture, and installed in accordance with the
manufacturer's instructions.
2) A metal seat mount, with each separate side formed from a single sheet of steel 4mm thick minimum, or
aluminum 5mm thick, commercially available as a race seat mount, and mounted in accordance with the
FIA's specifications and the manufacturer's instructions.
3) If a slider is used, it must be the slider used on the Porsche Cup cars (part number to be added), and the
mount attached to the slider with at least two 8mm bolts.
4) The seat mount, or the slider if used, must be attached to the chassis by at least one 10mm diameter
bolt at each end of the mount or slider. The chassis mount must be modified if not made to take a 10mm
bolt, and in any event must also be reinforced by additional steel welded around the mount so it cannot
flex, and the sheet metal holding the chassis attachment is reinforced to prevent pull through.
STOCK CLASSIFICATIONS
‐Move 2.5 liter E class Boxsters to D. The proponent points to the fact that other cars in E, which do not have
OBDII, are allowed to change chip settings, or otherwise increase their horsepower in ways not available to
the 2.5 liter Boxsters. Those in D might want to look at race results and lap times from events to see if such a
class change would be unfair.
Don't try to read this after 2 glasses of wine
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
One isn't modded beyond class if they are following the rule, no matter how bad the rule is.

I agree the RR shocks are a ****ty situation and shouldn't have been allowed in stock but I would guess that at least 25% or more of G stock onward cars have RR shocks, maybe more. Moving a quarter of PCA stock to prepared overnight isn't the answer either for 1 mod that they did as allowed by the rules. I also realize that those that don't have RR shocks shouldn't feel like they have to spend $$$ on those to be competitive. That said, many of Dan's cars have done extremely well on Bilstiens from what I understand incl Baron and his RSA when he owned it.
Jim - Unless the rules in the past (when all these RR shocks were installed) stated that shocks didn't have to be the same type as available when new those that added RR shocks did so to circumvent a rule that wasn't being enforced. If, and I do mean if as I simply don't know the timing, that is the case then change the rules or enforce them as written. Anything else is BS. Can't look at the rules for a direct quote, PCA portal is still porked..

And yes, Dan knows what springs and valving work, and works within the rules and their limitations.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Gary, I'm not sure why you keep saying this.
Cause saying anything else won't fire all you E ****'s up as much?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
Spec Boxster is about the only thing running a 2.5
I think of Charlie Boyer in his SPB on Toyo's, add R6's to that equation and he would be hard to beat in E.. so the potential is there IMO.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

We could run on R6s +/- LSD and be very competitive in E. But SPB seems to be working well so far as its own class.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if they move 2.5 Box to D, it will walk all over the 20+ yrs their senior REAL D CARS. Great way to get rid of the old cars.

Reminds me of that semi rag, Pano, nothing but a sales mag for new pcars. I do like European Windows though.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

is there lot of people in the USA racing F class?

im building a 2004 boxster S to run in PCA F class.
i was wondering
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

I think the 2.5 Boxster in D isn't a bad fit.

I agree, time to ditch the passenger seat.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Re: the slider rule, I *AM* surprised that this made it. I had a long discussion about this very subject with one of the scrutineers at COTA. To say he was passionate about the subject is putting it mildly.

Oh, and I'm *CERTAIN* that PMNA or your local Porsche dealer will be ever so happy to sell those mounts to you. Current list on them is a mere $399.25 (per side - 996-521-929-90 = driver side, and since we have to have a passenger seat in Stock/Prepared classes, that part number is 996-521-930-90 - another $399.25 over at one of our "favorite" online suppliers)!!! Just for grins, how much are those Recaro sliders?

BTW, where is the discussion on the spec tires for GTC3? *Some* of us got an email, but there's nothing in the rules proposal regarding tire changes away from the Michelin N1 tire. I *love* paying $2600 for a set of tires that will NOT cover a single race weekend! /
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Boxster 2.5 and 2.7 both in E with a 29lb difference is silly. If it were not for SPB there would be many more 2.5 Boxsters in the Stock class now.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
is there lot of people in the USA racing F class?

im building a 2004 boxster S to run in PCA F class.
i was wondering
They seem to make good "F" cars. At the NJMP CLub Race next weekend, there are (7) people out of (129) in "F". There are about twice as many "E" cars. Earlier this year at WGI, there were (16) "F" cars out of a total of (269).

Quick Reply: 2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted