Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:06 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Talk about political...GT3s get a free pass. If someone decides to run their 09 997s in Stock J, not only do they have as worse P/W than the 996 GT3 in J, but they can't run the aerokit wing, yet the GT3 can run a wing because it's not an aerokit, but standard. In the rules for comment they mentioned a "fixed wing" has traditionally been a prepared change. Yet they wrote the rule that only fixes half the "offenders". I'm one of those that will look silly next year with 1/2 a taco, which I would be fine with, if the new rule was applied fairly across the board.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:10 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 332 Posts

I think all of you should just run GT and quit your bitchin'

Then you can take out your seats, take out your side windows, run whatever wing you want, etc, etc, etc....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Put one of the ducktails on that are out there for the 997. If you go half taco, I am tying a string between the ends of the wing and rigging up a clothes line, complete with decorations! Seriously, the taco is going to look silly without the wing element in place and be pointless. Why not just lighten the car up and go GTB1 since you have a 3.6 Carrera?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

But it makes no sense at all from a consistency standpoint. As far as I know the 1974 IROC wing was not available to purchase as a factory option on an 88 Carrera but in a nutshell that is the maximum size wing that can be used on stock class 911's in D and E. If you want to say "not even if available as an option" then there should be no rear wings/spoilers on any cars except the turbo versions. And then there are allowances for many other modifications that were "available" but not standard as the cars sat on the showroom floor that are allowed. LSD's for Boxsters/Caymans and 15 inch wheels that get around the prohibited ring and pinion change just to name a few.

So every car from the 993 on up except GT3's get hosed? What brings this on? If they are all running the taco wing then no one has an advantage so what's the beef? Is there a class where the 964 and 993 overlap?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

You could get the Turbo tail on an SC as an option, and the 84-89 Carrera had a front and rear spoiler option. The 993 had an aero kit option as well. We both know a guy who has one that came that way from the factory. The aero kit was a factory option on the 996, 997, and even the Boxsters had one as an option. I am not sure what the logic is for the rule change for the 996 and 997. Maybe Walt or Brian will chime in on this thread. For the record, this rule change does not affect me in any way so I have no stake in this or the PCCB rule change.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder if their intent was to disallow the flat GT3 wing and not the Taco. Everybody in stock classes runs the Taco. Also when was this rule up for discussion, this is the first that I have heard of it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dgmark; 11-11-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

I think those will run afoul of the rules since they are adjustable with shims.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

What does PASM have to do with ice mode? It should be PSM. PASM is active suspension.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

It would really be nice if PCA brass would post their findings with all the black boxes installed this year during races. They have had an entire year of data that they could share. If they found that the Taco wings pose a big advantage disclose it. If the PDK's don't give the advantage that all other data implies than disclose it. Where are the all the findings ?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:42 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
But it makes no sense at all from a consistency standpoint. As far as I know the 1974 IROC wing was not available to purchase as a factory option on an 88 Carrera but in a nutshell that is the maximum size wing that can be used on stock class 911's in D and E. If you want to say "not even if available as an option" then there should be no rear wings/spoilers on any cars except the turbo versions. And then there are allowances for many other modifications that were "available" but not standard as the cars sat on the showroom floor that are allowed. LSD's for Boxsters/Caymans and 15 inch wheels that get around the prohibited ring and pinion change just to name a few.

So every car from the 993 on up except GT3's get hosed? What brings this on? If they are all running the taco wing then no one has an advantage so what's the beef? Is there a class where the 964 and 993 overlap?

The IROC tail is legal because spoilers are free.

H. Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch, or maximum spoiler height of the vehicle by more than 6 inches. Turn signals, headlights, parking lights and tail lights must be retained in any bumper replacement. Fog lights may be removed. Rear spoilers incorporated into deck lids are allowed.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
The IROC tail is legal because spoilers are free.

H. Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch, or maximum spoiler height of the vehicle by more than 6 inches. Turn signals, headlights, parking lights and tail lights must be retained in any bumper replacement. Fog lights may be removed. Rear spoilers incorporated into deck lids are allowed.
I know the rule I had an 86 911 with an IROC tail. The point is that was never an available option so to deny an actually available option but allow non-available options seems arbitrary.

Doesn't effect me. Just asking questions.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 166 Posts

I know the rule I had an 86 911 with an IROC tail. The point is that was never an available option so to deny an actually available option but allow non-available options seems arbitrary. Doesn't effect me. Just asking questions.
I could be mistaken, but I took Flatsics' point to be more subtle; spoilers are free, but wings are not. There's a difference between the two ...
Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Et tu Brutus?
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
I could be mistaken, but I took Flatsics' point to be more subtle; spoilers are free, but wings are not. There's a difference between the two ...
And my point is why? The aerokit is an actual factory option while the spoiler rules allow non-factory options. It's all aero related.

On top of that 996/7 aren't running with 78 SC's so if all the 993/6/7 have the factory option and have for years why enforce a rule that is not appropriate for the newer cars that aren't competing with the older cars.?

Not arguing just asking.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:54 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

And my point is why? The aerokit is an actual factory option while the spoiler rules allow non-factory options. It's all aero related.

On top of that 996/7 aren't running with 78 SC's so if all the 993/6/7 have the factory option and have for years why enforce a rule that is not appropriate for the newer cars that aren't competing with the older cars.?

Not arguing just asking.
Show me in the rules where it states that all optional equipment is legal.

From the rules:
6. Any modification not specifically listed is not allowed. In other words, if the rules don’t say you can do it - DON’T.

Dual element aero kit wings should not have been allowed, that is a prepared change.

PCA has not done the best job of policing the "gray area" stuff in the past.

I'm not really sure everyone is on the same page with what is legal or not.

There are too many official/unofficial rule interpretations being made, for example... allowing hybrid PCCB brakes in the past.

Last edited by flatsics; 11-12-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted