Sponsored by:

2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I think this is the scenario everyone was talking about with passenger seats. Car on fire, stuck on it's left side, Need to get out. Why have any impairment when trying to escape ?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/29...nia-dirt-track
Oh! Paaleese, Scott. Get real! The the antiquated 'Spirit of Club Racing' is far more important than the driver's safety.

"No soup for you."
Old 11-06-2014, 04:24 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you seen the 2015 rule change proposals?

Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Oh! Paaleese, Scott. Get real! The the antiquated 'Spirit of Club Racing' is far more important than the driver's safety.

"No soup for you."
Yeah, all the idiot racers will do is fill that in with coolsuit coolers and stuff anyway, and then those passenger seat guys will end up with a center of gravity performance deficit!!!

The BS gets lamer and deeper every year.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA Club Racing Rules Changes Adopted for 2015

The PCA Club Racing Rules Changes adopted for 2015 by the PCA Club Racing Rules Committee.

Text in italics gives the actual rule wording as needed for clarity.

SAFETY

Dry break. As a safety measure, cars in Stock/Prepared, GT996, and GTB may install a single port dry break system under the stock gas cap door, and make needed modifications to pipe the gasoline to the tank and make the system function.

Racers are warned that it is possible to spill gasoline from the vent of some models of dump can, and such spillages will result in disqualification like any spill.

Roof net. Open cars, cabriolets and cars with non-stock, non-metal roofs must be equipped with approved arm restraints. This does not apply to stock roofs on Targas, 914’s, or factory sunroofs. The arm restraint requirement does not apply to Boxsters equipped with the allowed aftermarket plastic top as long as a custom fabricated roof net, filling the halo area of the roll cage, is installed. Custom fabrication means that a template of the actual roll cage halo area has been sent to a manufacturer of SFI or FI A approved webbing goods, and that the product is appropriately constructed and attached to the halo bars on all four sides with webbing and metal buckles. The use of plastic tie raps, plastic straps or elastic cords is not allowed.

Some thought this was going to be required in addition to arm restraints, but that is not so - it is an alternative.

Seat mounting where a current FIA seat is required. Based on comments from racers and shop fabricators, the 2014 Appendix J specifications and related requirements are modified for 2015 as follows:

In order to race without a complying seat back brace or meeting the mid-engined car exception to the requirement of a seat back brace, all the following conditions must be met:

1) An FIA 8855-1999 approved race seat, within six years of its manufacture, or an FIA 8862-2009 approved seat within eleven years of its manufacture, and installed in accordance with the FIA's and manufacturer's specifications.

2) A metal seat mount, with each separate side formed from a single sheet of steel 3mm thick minimum, or aluminum 5mm thick, commercially available as a race seat mount, and mounted in accordance with the FIA's and manufacturer's specifications. Mounts may be modified as needed to clear Cup car type sliders.

3) All required fasteners in the system connecting the seat to the chassis must be at least 8mm in diameter and 8.8 in grade. Four such fasteners are required for each component connection, two on each side.

4) If seat sliders are used, they may be the Porsche Cup/manual adjustment sliders with the 10mm chassis attachments, and these are recommended. Or they may be double locking sliders which lock with at least two teeth or other locks on both sides, are formed from steel at least 1.75mm thick, and are designed, manufactured, and widely marketed for use in race cars.

5) Models with the 10mm seat to chassis mounting bolt system may use adapters, attached with those bolts to the stock mounts, which are made, tested, advertised, and commercially available for securing approved seat mounts or seat sliders.

6) Chassis seat mounts on tubs other than those used by Porsche as the base for their race cars must be reinforced. The concern for front mounts is particularly to increase their strength in tension (upward force), and for the rear in compression (downward force - cracks have occurred in the Cup and other cars here, and Porsche issued a service bulletin on reinforcement). If reinforcement includes plates under the floor pan, they shall be a minimum of 1/8" steel, and at least 4" x 4" in size.

7) If stock chassis mounts are cut out in order to lower the seat more than otherwise can be accomplished for tall drivers or to accommodate wide seats, fabricated mounts must be made of structural (1/8" minimum) steel using good design practices and properly welded to the sill, floor and center tunnel. The Rules Chair may consider approvals for other designs of altered mounts if they bear the stamp of a professional engineer showing that each of the four required fastener connections will withstand a force of 15,000 Newtons separately vertically and horizontally.

8) It is the driver's responsibility to inspect the car's seat chassis mounts frequently for cracking or other weaknesses, and to fix them before further racing use of the car.

9) Cars issued logbooks before 2015 may continue to use the fasteners and chassis mounting approved at the time the logbook was issued, if otherwise in good condition and properly installed, until 2016.

Please note the one year grandfathering provision for current cars. Not only should this allow time for compliance, but if unexpected issues arise there will be time to deal with them. As to reinforcing, the rules since the seat back brace alternative was adopted have always required reinforcing the chassis mounts, so this is nothing new. It just has received more emphasis, which should lead to more compliance and greater safety.

Ice Mode. All cars not in the GTC class with ABS systems are allowed to install one or more modifications:

a) A reset switch may be installed.

b) The brake booster diameter may be reduced to achieve a 3.5:1 ratio with part number 996.355.923.90, the master cylinder bore may be increased to 25mm with part number 997.355.910.30, or both.

c) PASM may be disabled by disconnecting its multi-pin.

Racers should note that running tires with a different front/rear tire diameter ratio than stock may increase the chance of experiencing this problem.

STOCK

993 X51. The 993 X51 engine power option is included in the list of similar factory options which are treated as Prepared modifications.

993 Weight. The 993 minimum weight is reduced by120 pounds to 3050 for the 1995 model, 3094 for the 1996-98 models, and 3204 for the 993 (turbo body) model.

PCCB brake package. The PCCB brake option is a prepared modification even if it was ordered on the car. This includes use just of the PCCB calipers.

Aerokit wings. Aerokit wings, even if ordered on the car, are a prepared modification.

Gen 1 997 Carrera to I. The minimum class weight for the 2005-8 997 Carrera is raised by 75 pounds to 3300.

Block Resleeving. When the bores of the water cooled six cylinder motors with a block rather than a case (Boxsters, Caymans, 996, 997, and later) are beyond factory wear limits or otherwise damaged, they may be resleeved. If the liner is plated with Nikasil, an aftermarket piston of a design and manufacture approved by the Technical and Rules chair may be used. Approval will be given to pistons of the same weight, ring size and location, compatibility with the stock rods, piston crown shape offering no flow advantage, and compression ratio no greater than stock, along with a reasonable means of identifying the parts as approved by borescope if feasible and parts invoices. Approvals will be added to the rules in the following year. This approval applies to Stock/Prepared, SP996, and GTB, but not to SPB.

The consensus of SPB engine builders is that those motors have not reached the point of needing this.

Shock Tower forward bracing. Stock Suspension Rule M is amended to read: Bracing between the front shock towers are allowed as long as they bolt in to existing suspension or other fasteners, or otherwise unused holes in the stock tub, or rest unattached on a bulkhead in the vertical plane of the shock towers, and may also extend diagonally forward from the shock towers, but may not extend to the rear of the shock towers.

The forward extension, while inconsistent with the intent of the original shock tower brace rule, is not believed to be a performance advantage, and has been approved as an interpretation in the past.

SP996

The rain tire for SP996 is changed to: Hoosier Sports Car D.O.T. Radial Wet (H2o) P245/35R18 front, P275/35R18 rear allowed as rain tires. Toyo R888s previously allowed (front: 245x40x18 and rear: 285x30x18) are allowed as rain tires until the end of 2016.

GTP

A new class GTP-A is added for former ALMS LMP and Grand AM Daytona Prototype cars raced with a Porsche engine and treated as Porsches for manufacturer's championship purposes, and Porsche engined prototypes raced in subsequent similar series, in the engine configuration as raced.

GTB

The modifications allowed under the Stock engine rules in paragraphs K, P, Q, and R are allowed in GTB.

GTC

One piece rims of class dimensions are allowed in GTC3.

The rear wing of GTC3 cars may be raised four inches to gain better rear vision, but may not otherwise be altered or repositioned.

GTC and GTA cars which came from the factory with plastic door windows may reattach those windows, if removed, with rivets or other fasteners. Such a replacement window on the driver's side requires use of a window net.

Why certain proposals were not adopted:

Video. Because of the frequently expressed concern about enforcement (what happens if your video doesn't come through), video will not be a requirement for 2015, although the stewards strongly urge you to install it for your own sake, and to help the stewards make the right decisions when there are incidents.

Underdrive Pulleys. Since Stock the stock rules allow underdrive crankshaft pulleys on Boxsters and Caymans where power steering pump or water pump speeds have been seen as a problem, no change was needed in stock. Not enough evidence was presented that the late Caymans in GTB, for which only an underdrive power steering pulley is approved, suffer from the problems earlier designs did.

Racers are reminded of additional rules already adopted for 2015:

a) Window nets must attach at the top so that they fall down when disconnected.

b) Window nets must attach to the roll cage.

c) The two event rookie stock class roll bar allowance will be deleted from the rule book, and all cars
will be required to have a complying roll cage.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

And so it begins.......
Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 AM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

GTC3 cars will really benefit from improved rear vision...
Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

What did they do regarding the wing window removal on 911 SC and Carreras? I was hoping to be able to remove mine this winter, but no mention at all.

The slider rule seems reasonable. Any 2 pin is allowed. Are you cool with that Kia.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:20 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001
GTC3 cars will really benefit from improved rear vision...

for sure!!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
What did they do regarding the wing window removal on 911 SC and Carreras? I was hoping to be able to remove mine this winter, but no mention at all.

The slider rule seems reasonable. Any 2 pin is allowed. Are you cool with that Kia.
It's Kai, beyotch!!!

In honor of ya'll alphabet drivers, I'm mounting a toilet seat over on the right side.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

So, I will go ahead and ask....... Has anyone disassembled the Recaro slider that has been sold (literally) for years to determine if it is in "compliance"?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
So, I will go ahead and ask....... Has anyone disassembled the Recaro slider that has been sold (literally) for years to determine if it is in "compliance"?
FAR too cold in the trailer at the moment.

Weiner sez go look your own damn self.

He'll look later but is convinced the Recaros have two "teeth" per side and sectional width of 1.75mm...as they were probably the standard used for the ruling.

I'm actually having fun with the chassis seat mount "reinforcement". No template, no standard, yet again no engineering...just reinforce.

OK...I'll run out to the barn, try to find my old welder and tack some **** to a perfectly good tub (you don't want to see me weld!!!).

It's all good though, because it will have been reinforced.

At least I can get out of my right side quickly....
Old 11-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure I get the "Aerokit" thing. If everyone has it already on their car what's the point of making them take it off or move every 993 996 and 997 up a class? Do they have to go back to the speed actuated spoiler or the turbo version?

D and E are allowed to have larger spoilers that could not be optioned on the car.

Just askin. Does not effect me.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't get the aerokit spoiler rule either. I think I have only see one maybe two 996 that didn't have them on while running in their true stock class. Have yet to see a 997 in club racing run without it. So I guess everyone is going up a class, or there are going to be a bunch of taco wings for sale on RL.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I don't get the aerokit spoiler rule either. I think I have only see one maybe two 996 that didn't have them on while running in their true stock class. Have yet to see a 997 in club racing run without it. So I guess everyone is going up a class, or there are going to be a bunch of taco wings for sale on RL.
The top part of the taco wing comes off to get them into compliance. Gonna look kind of stupid though.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Take the wing element out? Good grief that would would look silly...

I do agree with allowing the GTC3 guys to raise the wing a little since you can't see squat out the rear window.

Quick Reply: 2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted