Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I like that one Doug!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything either of you can share? Perhaps some insight into Walt's logic that he shared with you guys may help us understand.

Originally Posted by John Milne
I had proposed the removal of the passenger seat and wondered why it was not put up for comment. I emailed Walt Fricke and he provided a very interesting answer. If you have a question about this topic, I suggest you correspond with Walt.

Walt has provided his position on this matter to at least one other racer, so hopefully he will share with you.

Just for the record, I disagree with most of what Walt said in his email.

John
Originally Posted by Sean F
I have had a similar email exchange with Walt
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could just tread the chassis and screw the green one right in. What would happen if someone showed up with something like those in the pix? Could they race? They are not unattractive.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Just need to send Walt this.
I think these definitely should be legal.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to hear some thoughts on PDK. I get that they upshift faster than a human does a manual gearbox, so what are folks thinking?

Add a weight penalty to equalize them better or move up an entire class?

For stock that puts a 2009+ Cayman S PDK with 320hp in J, now you have a car with 9.94 lb/hp in a class where most cars have 8.0-8.5??

For GTB1 it puts a 2009+ Cayman S PDK in GTB2, So now you have a car with 9.22 lb/hp ratio mixed with cars that have a ratio of 7.92-8.02. That makes zero sense to me. The weight reduction needed to equalize the Cayman is unfeasable imho.

IMHO keeping them in the current class makes the most sense and add a reasonable weight penalty to adjust the lb/hp ratio to be less favorable for a PDK car.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

This thread...

... is becoming a classic.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

second seat is scarey. if you ever got trapped again a tire wall or flipped and you had to get out, a 2nd seatwith halos and harness just impedes your exit, all fo what? because the car came factory with two seats? it came factory with quite a few things that are permitted to be changed.
the arguments of "its hard to move my camera with the second seat" wont move pca. but from a safety perspective, there should be NO second seats permitted in a race car. it might be the only egress or way in for a safety worker when you're unconscious and upside down.

Originally Posted by John Milne
I had proposed the removal of the passenger seat and wondered why it was not put up for comment. I emailed Walt Fricke and he provided a very interesting answer. If you have a question about this topic, I suggest you correspond with Walt.

Walt has provided his position on this matter to at least one other racer, so hopefully he will share with you.

Just for the record, I disagree with most of what Walt said in his email.

John
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

+1,000

Seen a few too many cars upside down and some on fire with a crushed driver's A pillar
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Camera access won't sway pca......I have millions of hits on my YouTube channel and millions in sponsorship begging for more if the camera isn't perfect my awesomeness could be misunderstood and I may not look flat out

My actual point to the camera comment was that if its a pain in the *** to climb in from the passenger door with no helmet or hans its gonna be worse with them as compared to a cup car with no seat where its very easy to do so...
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Does anybody know who is on the PCA Rules Committee? I'm just curious...
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Mo

If this stupid weight thing does not go through, I think you will find the stock brakes to be more than adequate. Coming from my E/F car with TT brakes, it took a little while to adjust.
My pedal never gets soft and I just run the sock air deflectors.
Additional front cooling will help with pad wear, but does not effect performance.
I get a whole season out of front rotors and 2 1/2 on the rear.

Sometimes the ABS is tricky in bumpy braking zones, but I have learned to adjust for that.

I don't like the big brake idea for G.
I think the way the 964's are currently classed for racing is perfect.

You can run stock and heavy in F 3181 lbs
You can run light in G as a RSA 2910
You run heavy and prepared in G 3180
You can run light and prepared in H 2910

What more do you want from a platform, that's a lot of flexibility.

Your comment about fast guys in G beating most of the H cars is true about the fast guys in all classes beating guys in faster classes.

Just goes to show the most piece of equipment is still the driver(except for PDK cars)

Looking forward to racing with you at TRAC
I actually agree with you. Although ive only had two DEs in the car the brakes are fine for me. I am used to the brakes on my old J Stock GT3 which could stop a bus on a dime, so I have overshot a few brake zones (don't use it against me next weekend )!

I just have heard that a lot of guys move up to H because of the brake issue. I am looking forward to running with you as well. It would be nice to have a few more G cars, but Id rather have two guys like you and Wally to challenge myself with rather than 15 G cars that are not as quick (and clean) as you two. See ya next weekend!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM
MoD
Instructor

On the PDK note, I do not think going up one full class is fair. As some mentioned the slightly faster shifting really doesn't make up for a full class jump. Most of the newer cars with PDK like some caymans would be in classes with GT3s and turbos (996 versions) and it just wouldn't make too much sense. I do believe a nice 150 or so pound weight addition should be added to all PDK cars (I believe the PCA already has some weight adjustment).
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
MoD
Instructor

Originally Posted by forklift
I don't have first hand experience with this but have thought this is the case....that adjustable shocks aren't much faster than well valved Bilstiens etc., if a all. Sometimes I think I'd be better off selling my JRZs and buy some Bilstiens so I don't have to F w/ my shocks all weekend and can focus on my driving.
Did your car come with JRZs or did you switch to them from bilstiens? I have custom valved bilstiens from Hairy Dog who did everything on my car prior to me purchasing it this year. I was thinking about going the route of JRZs next year, but really would love to get some input from someone who has made the switch.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
F class has been very popular particularly in the northeast the past few years. Seeing more and more Boxsters in the F class each year. They are very competitive vs the older 911's and are not terribly expensive to maintain.
thanks, hope im making a good move

car is going to the full cage on monday and it will be his first try out
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
Did your car come with JRZs or did you switch to them from bilstiens? I have custom valved bilstiens from Hairy Dog who did everything on my car prior to me purchasing it this year. I was thinking about going the route of JRZs next year, but really would love to get some input from someone who has made the switch.
I moved from PSS9s, which I consider an excellent street shock, to JRZs in 2006 although I had considered RSRs instead. It was explained to me that the JRZs wouldn't have much of an advantage, if any, if the RSRs were valved well for a particular track but if not then the double adjustable shocks were an advantage to tune for any track (meaning that non-adjustable shocks aren't valved perfectly for every track).

I have often wondered if I should have just gone w/ custom Bilstiens esp when Baron did a 21.4 w/ Bilstiens at Summit in your car. But...JRZs are among the best shocks in the world so I'll probably stick with them for a while. They have been challenging though as I still am not happy w/ the car at Summit which is my home track. I can usually get it "right" or close to it at VIR. I'm thinking of changing the spring rates on my car again after many changes since I've owned them.

Quick Reply: 2014 PCA Rule Change Proposals for comment posted