Sponsored by:

cost to build spec 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
http://racingshields.com/default.html Good reviews after doing searches here on Rennlist. I have just done the windshield so far but rear is next.
thank you sir!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

If you go with lower end slicks like Hoosiers or Yokes ( compared to Michelins ) they are only marginally more expensive than R6's.
FYI, Spec996 runs on BFG R1's, not R6's. We chose the R1's because they don't heat cycle out as fast as the Hoosiers, and certainly not as fast as slicks. When you look at tire costs, it's not really the purchase price that differentiates the true expense of running them. It's how many heat cycles you can get out of the tires and still be competitive. Most of the SP996 guys find they can get at least two full race weekends out of a set of R1's, and then still continue to use them for practice/DE's.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
FYI, Spec996 runs on BFG R1's, not R6's. We chose the R1's because they don't heat cycle out as fast as the Hoosiers, and certainly not as fast as slicks. When you look at tire costs, it's not really the purchase price that differentiates the true expense of running them. It's how many heat cycles you can get out of the tires and still be competitive. Most of the SP996 guys find they can get at least two full race weekends out of a set of R1's, and then still continue to use them for practice/DE's.
Good to know and a great point. So is the 8th heat cycle of an BFG the same as the first or second ? Or do they just heat cycle out slower ?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Good to know and a great point. So is the 8th heat cycle of an BFG the same as the first or second ? Or do they just heat cycle out slower ?
Combination of both. When you drive them hard, they are fastest for probably the first four to six HC's, but they stay competitive to about 15 HC's, and don't drop off very much.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just converted my I car to a GTB1 car. Huge fields at the big races and decent fields at the smaller races. Haven't seen very many Spec 996's on the east coast nor in Fla where the OP is from I believe. If you go with lower end slicks like Hoosiers or Yokes ( compared to Michelins ) they are only marginally more expensive than R6's. I added a cup wing, light weight battery, lexan, and took out passenger seat and saved about 80lbs. but can lose another 80.
2 years on my M96 motor with no mods besides a X51 baffle and so far so good. Stay away from LWFW with these motors. Or so I am told. Look forward to running against the Cayman Masses at Sebring.
Great looking car, go kick some Cayman butt at Sebring.....

The one thing that sticks out when I look at your car is the wing/uprights. Switching to the taller uprights really helped balance out my car. I bought Crawford's because that's all there was a few years ago but someone here on RL was making them up quite reasonably just a few weeks ago. See if you can get a set before Sebring.....

Post #33: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...light=uprights

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 01-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mehoff
BTW, if I tried to pass my old man in YOUR car he would punt me into the infield and smile all the way to his 13/13 hearing
Completely understand and I'd have to support your Dad in the Comp. Committee meeting ....

I think the best W/C car for our GT4 class is a 3.4 996. Cherniak kicks some butt in his and he only races once a year. Vali dominated in his 996 and won NASA's National's in 2010 in their GTS2 class which is the same multipliers as our GT4 class.....
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Combination of both. When you drive them hard, they are fastest for probably the first four to six HC's, but they stay competitive to about 15 HC's, and don't drop off very much.
Agreed. I'm new to SP996 after running Hoosiers in E. The R1's definitely aren't as sticky but they do last MUCH longer. Hoosiers would last one race weekend and then could be used for practice the next weekend and then done.

15 HC's is reasonable. Biggest issue is that after 6 or 7 they take longer and longer to get up to temp, but that's not a big deal. Over the course of a season or two the savings really add up over the Hoosiers.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
Agreed. I'm new to SP996 after running Hoosiers in E. The R1's definitely aren't as sticky but they do last MUCH longer. Hoosiers would last one race weekend and then could be used for practice the next weekend and then done.

15 HC's is reasonable. Biggest issue is that after 6 or 7 they take longer and longer to get up to temp, but that's not a big deal. Over the course of a season or two the savings really add up over the Hoosiers.
But do you guys really plan to show up at a big race (every race IMO) with a competitive field and qualify on a set of tires that already have 6 heat cycles (likely including an enduro)?

This past year I finally learned that one set of sticker tires per weekend is the cost of doing business (in a competitive car and in a competitive class). Many of my competitors in E use two sets of stickers (per weekend).

If this isn't the case for the sp996 guys, then the BFG R-1 must be dramatically better (longer lasting) than the Hoosier R6.

What sizes are available in 15"?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
But do you guys really plan to show up at a big race (every race IMO) with a competitive field and qualify on a set of tires that already have 6 heat cycles (likely including an enduro)?
I do a LOT of instructing, and there is usually a fair amount of time between races, so honestly most of the time i'm on stickers for a race weekend, but if timing works out so I have a set of tires with only one weekend on them, I will go out on the tires for quali and the races. Coinboy opened up a can of whupass on all of us at Hallett on "old" tires.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman

This past year I finally learned that one set of sticker tires per weekend is the cost of doing business (in a competitive car and in a competitive class). Many of my competitors in E use two sets of stickers (per weekend).

If this isn't the case for the sp996 guys, then the BFG R-1 must be dramatically better (longer lasting) than the Hoosier R6.

What sizes are available in 15"?
There are mitigating circumstances. (1) I'm not really competitive as I'm learning the platform and the 2 race weekends I've done so far are with an uncompetitive car (it's at fat camp as we speak); (2) We are still running relatively small fields (6 were at Hallett, 8 or more should be at TWS in March). At this point I believe that driver skill is playing a bigger part than tire wear (with some exceptions, of course). But as these fields grow, I'm sure stickers will be a competitive advantage for some.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Interestingly there are more pages to this thread than actual SP996s.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Interestingly there are more pages to this thread than actual SP996s.
If you build them they will come?.....
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
If you build them they will come?.....
Yup.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure how a series like Cayman ITC has taken off with $100k car builds and Spec 996 has not.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

Not sure how a series like Cayman ITC has taken off with $100k car builds and Spec 996 has not.
Probably because of tie ins with pro and semi pro events.

Quick Reply: cost to build spec 996