Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost to build spec 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think 200 pounds lighter would be extremely appealing.

So one could build a sp 996 with stock aero and if field is small could run H by adding 200 pounds and swapping to Hoosiers
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1111
I would think 200 pounds lighter would be extremely appealing.

So one could build a sp 996 with stock aero and if field is small could run H by adding 200 pounds and swapping to Hoosiers
You could, and you wouldn't have to change to Hoosiers to be legal, though to be competitive you probably would. Alternatively, you could drop 100lbs, run the SP996 Aero, and run as GTB1. You can also run an SP996 in GTS3 with NASA, and hopefully in a few years when we get critical mass, NASA will adopt SP996 rules just like they did with SPB.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Hose failures dropped all, or most, of the water/coolant. New gauges and warning lights will be going in this time to make sure it gets noticed immediately should it happen again.

I think your failure/overheat, at Miller in 2010 was more due to the radiators being a little clogged and the fact that the altitude there makes the air too thin thus causing easy overheats. I was having temp troubles with Jays 996 that same event but noticed it early on and changed coolant mixtures and air ducting to get it to run cooler and stay alive. I felt much better once I got the temps in the range I like.
Also it was really hot during Friday's race, something like 105 with a strong headwind right down that long front straight. I should have backed out of it Friday and accepted a 3-4th place finish but no I had to win....
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

How long does a 996 engine last. I have my nice 997 but i love driving it on the street and not sure i want to make it into a full track car. If you bought a 996 with 70 or 80k miles to do hpde and start a race build roll bar, seats, suspension, brakes then move onto other things, will the motor last ( i understand it depends on the motor). When you say replacing a motor is it putting a brand new crate motor, used motor, or rebuilding existing? Not to hijack this forum but my plan above would it be any more cost effective to do it with a boxster?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
How long does a 996 engine last. I have my nice 997 but i love driving it on the street and not sure i want to make it into a full track car. If you bought a 996 with 70 or 80k miles to do hpde and start a race build roll bar, seats, suspension, brakes then move onto other things, will the motor last ( i understand it depends on the motor). When you say replacing a motor is it putting a brand new crate motor, used motor, or rebuilding existing? Not to hijack this forum but my plan above would it be any more cost effective to do it with a boxster?
No way to know how long it will last. Coinboy has been running a 996 engine VERY fast for a very long time. Replacing can mean a new crate motor, or a rebuild, or a used motor (hardest by far to find). Yes, it will be more cost effective in a Boxster, but you won't get the rear-engine experience. Personally, if I were going to go cheaper than a 996 for a track car, I'd go SM. With SpecMiata you truly are being cost effective.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
I ran DE'S for 3 years with an 01 with no issues and I have a friend running H, probably 4 years in his 99 with no problems on his original motor, I believe it has over 70k miles..
I have to admit it was more fun passing vettes, and gt3's in the Carrera than it is to do in the GT3, where it is expected.
Consumables on my gt3 including track insurance has about tripled vs the Carrera
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Performance=$$$ It all depends on what your pain threshold is.

Spec 996 could have been made a little easier to switch between from H which I believe would help the class grow with a few changes. Increase the running weight to the same as H or I. current spec weights
are impossible to achieve and stay legal for H, at least in my 01 (for some reason the base 01 is much heavier than the 99 ). The rear glass being a major factor, which also increases the spec build cost.
Make the defacto wing the Aero wing. Make spec exhaust free (very little performance gained from no exhaust). IMO Spec 996 and H are almost identical build cost with exception if you go to a high cost shock set-up for H. Do the high price shocks make a significant improvement in Lap times ? I have thus far resisted finding out. For my self the 5K or so is better spent on coaching.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDun911
Performance=$$$ ...Do the high price shocks make a significant improvement in Lap times ?
The answer to this is yes. You said it yourself actually in the first sentence. Don't forget H allows you to go to solid bushing all around also. And Hoosiers. You can spend as little or as much as you want on a letter car, but provided you can drive the car anywhere near it's capabilities, your results will be equal to the $$$ spent.

It's really not hard to run an SP996 as both SP996 and H. Keep the stock exhaust manifolds on, put a stock decklid on for H, and run the wing for SP996. Run ballast to make weight in H. Provided you have SP996 competition, you won't want to do that, but you could.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by DDun911
Performance=$$$ It all depends on what your pain threshold is.

Spec 996 could have been made a little easier to switch between from H which I believe would help the class grow with a few changes. Increase the running weight to the same as H or I. current spec weights
are impossible to achieve and stay legal for H, at least in my 01 (for some reason the base 01 is much heavier than the 99 ). The rear glass being a major factor, which also increases the spec build cost.
Make the defacto wing the Aero wing. Make spec exhaust free (very little performance gained from no exhaust). IMO Spec 996 and H are almost identical build cost with exception if you go to a high cost shock set-up for H. Do the high price shocks make a significant improvement in Lap times ? I have thus far resisted finding out. For my self the 5K or so is better spent on coaching.

Shocks/springs do help. On my 6GT3 going to MCS doubles, over stock suspension, was worth 2 sec a lap at Sebring.

Peter
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Shocks/springs do help. On my 6GT3 going to MCS doubles, over stock suspension, was worth 2 sec a lap at Sebring.

Peter
The front of the E class is migrating to triple adjustable JRZ's. The arms race never stops...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
The front of the E class is migrating to triple adjustable JRZ's. The arms race never stops...
^THIS is the real difference between Spec & Letter classes. It's not that the SP996 is cheaper to build initially, it's the fact that the costs are basically capped. And this is exactly why I chose to get out of the letter classes.

When I started looking at it a number of years ago, the stock class had to run full interiors, basically stock everything. Now it's practically a GT class (unlimited suspension, custom chips, etc.). I decided to cut my losses and move to SP996 and I'm really happy that I did.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
^THIS is the real difference between Spec & Letter classes. It's not that the SP996 is cheaper to build initially, it's the fact that the costs are basically capped. And this is exactly why I chose to get out of the letter classes.

When I started looking at it a number of years ago, the stock class had to run full interiors, basically stock everything. Now it's practically a GT class (unlimited suspension, custom chips, etc.). I decided to cut my losses and move to SP996 and I'm really happy that I did.
Nah...you just did because it's the Texas thang to do!!!

And I enjoy being on track with ya'll.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
You just had to go and tell me that
It's a good thing my wife has horses, she never says a word about my racing budget.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me.........
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I have +50k miles on my '02 3.6l crate motor, all track miles, racing or DE. When I converted to SP996, the JRZ vs PSS9's running at ECR was a pick of 1sec., the LSD was also a pick of 1sec, the getty wing as .5sec (but ECR has no long sweepers just 180's). It's a solid package, fast, safe and fun. Depending on where you are racing the 3.6L can run in PCA; I, GTB1, SP996 and GT3 R/S.

Quick Reply: cost to build spec 996