Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FGL,

Of the current crop, who do you feel is the most complete?

Wayne,

I've been following F1 long enough to understand how it works. Highly unlikely I'll ever subscribe to the "Faux WDC" notion.

And I'll bite. What do Vettel and Rosberg have in common?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin

Wayne,

I've been following F1 long enough to understand how it works. Highly unlikely I'll ever subscribe to the "Faux WDC" notion. And I'll bite. What do Vettel and Rosberg have in common?
C'mon M, damn... not yet,

Waiting for Pete and his band members to respond Notice nothing but silence from them regarding their accusations on Prost.. Stooley fans..... blind and crazy as rat bats ...

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-23-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
C'mon M, damn... not yet,

Waiting for Pete and his band members to respond Notice nothing but silence from them regarding their accusations on Prost..

Stooley fans..... blind and crazy as rat bats ...
Not all of us...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Button, Hamilton ,Vettel.... Love to see rain and Shuey pull off an upset....
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Default Thank you all so much

I want to personally thank all of you here that supported me for F1 Mod. It's great to know that all of you want sensible moderation in these threads and strive for content rather than BS. I'll be in talks with the people that can make that happen shortly. Once again, thank you all!!

Now for something I know you'll really like....

Vettel 'the best driver', 'deserves' crown, say rivals

Two of Sebastian Vettel's chief rivals - Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton - have conceded that the Red Bull Racing star has been 'the best driver' in F1 2011 and fully 'deserves' the world championship crown

F1 2011 World Champion-elect Sebastian Vettel has been warmly praised by two of his title rivals, with Fernando Alonso lauding him as 'the best driver' of the season and the architect of some 'perfect' performances, and Lewis Hamilton conceding that the Red Bull Racing ace 'has really driven very, very well' and that 'his persona, his attitude have been very professional'.

Vettel is making a big point of refusing to count his chickens before they are hatched on the eve of this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, even though – should the cards fall his way – he could clinch the crown under the Marina Bay spotlights [to see how, click here]. The 24-year-old is adamant that he will be approaching the race just like any other – and insists he does not feel under any extra pressure in view of the fact that the laurels can be mathematically put beyond reach in three days' time.

“So far, we haven't won anything,” he is quoted as having said by BBC Sport. “[There is] still some way to go; we have to race and do our best. It is a long way to the chequered flag. Certain things have to happen, and it reminds me a little bit of the situation we had in Abu Dhabi last year, when people came up and gave me another option [as to how he could win the title] every five minutes. The target is to optimise our performance. The target has been to defend our title; there is no reason why the target should change.

“There is always pressure on us because we want to achieve our best every weekend – and if there is a chance to win, we want to go for it. I don't feel any extra pressure trying to win the championship here or [in] any one particular place. The target going into the season was not to win the championship by Singapore or any other race – it was to win the championship. This race is as important as anywhere else.”

Vettel took a solid step towards a successful defence of his hard-fought F1 2010 drivers' trophy with a superb Italian Grand Prix triumph at Monza a fortnight ago – his eighth from just 13 starts this year – and along the way, he silenced those who said he cannot overtake or fight his way through the field with a gutsy pass on Alonso during which he put two wheels on the grass at over 200mph on the outside of Curva Grande after the Ferrari star 'squeezed' him. The incident prompted a brief post-race discussion between the pair.

“He didn't expect me to go on the left, to try the inside for the second chicane, so initially he didn't see me,” reflected Vettel, denying that he had asked Monza stewards to investigate Alonso's driving, “but as soon as he saw me, he pulled to the right and gave me enough room. It was borderline, but I knew if I wanted to get past, I needed to try something.

“Actually, it was more critical the lap before when I was on the right on the outside at the second chicane and he moved a little bit under braking to the right and there wasn't much room for me, but we talked about it after the race and I think it's fine. Generally, if you race people like Fernando, people with a lot of experience and who you respect a lot, you can really push the limits and really go wheel-to-wheel without thinking about it, and know the guy will know you are there and give you just enough room – not a lot, but enough.”

Vettel and Alonso raced in similarly close company in last year's Singapore Grand Prix, with the Spaniard narrowly holding the German off en route to his fourth victory of the campaign. Twelve months on and at 112 points adrift of the defending world champion in the drivers' standings, Alonso could find himself knocked out of the title hunt in the far-eastern city-state – but if Vettel wins, he muses, then he will fully merit his success.

“He's been the best driver, [with] the best team,” acknowledged the 30-year-old, pipped to world championship honours by Vettel in the 2010 Abu Dhabi finale. “They deserve to be where they are. This year, he has made no mistakes or very few mistakes. Last year, we had a [few] more chances. Red Bull were also very dominant last year, but they had some trouble in some races. I remember in Turkey they crashed together, and in some other races they had mechanical failures, engine problems...
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Too funny The dynamic duo of Wayne and lil' Wayne *RAJ are going to lose their minds
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to worry, there is always next year ...

Enjoy the off season Luca
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excuse me, Luca, I have the CEO of Santander on Line 1, he says it's urgent.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Too funny The dynamic duo of Wayne and lil' Wayne *RAJ are going to lose their minds
Why?? They said what everyone in their proper mind saw all yr. Vettel made almost no mistakes and made the most out of driving the best car. The championship was Vettel's to lose. He is very quick and has the best car.
Better luck next time..
Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Maybe we should use Paradise's logic. Well ofcourse, what else would you expect them to say? They both want to drive for RBR.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Also note that during the Ferrari/Schumacher domiance of a few years ago, Michael was very impressive in 2005 getting way more points than any other Bridgestone runners in the field. Need I remind everyone that only 6 cars were on Renaults, all the rest on Bridgestones. That is a good driver that made a bad car look good.
I think you meant Michelins .
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Another mod with no moderation = murderation ...

Stinky p has tried to kill and or control this F1 blog for years, it used to be fun, well all hail Hope and change , his quintet will have this place like a grave yard in no time and like our current political system , the plebs always get the leaders they deserve ...

Ask larry ....

Alonso second fastest in second Singapore Grand Prix practice

By Matt Beer Friday, September 23rd 2011, 15:03 GMT

Sebastian Vettel was quickest in second practice in Singapore, completing a strong start to the weekend that could see him crowned world champion for the second straight year.

The Red Bull driver set the early practice two pace with a 1m47.375s lap - 0.7 seconds ahead of team-mate Mark Webber as the champion squad dominated the initial running.

Those times stood until drivers began switching to super-soft tyres in the second half of the session. Ferrari's Felipe Massa was the first of the frontrunners to do so and clocked a 1m47.120s to go quickest with 41 minutes to go. His team-mate Fernando Alonso then beat that time by 0.6s 10 minutes later to hit the front.

Vettel backed off on his first super-soft lap when he encountered Timo Glock's Virgin, but his second attempt resulted in a 1m46.374s, putting him on top by 0.201s over Alonso. With the top teams all switching to long runs thereafter, Vettel's position was secure.

Lewis Hamilton took third for McLaren, while his team-mate Jenson Button's evening ended very early when he slid straight on at Turn 14 just before the session's halfway point. Although Button stopped without hitting the barriers, he was unable to make his car reverse back on course, so had to abandon the McLaren. He tumbled to 10th in the times as a result.

Massa was pushed back to fourth in the end, just ahead of Mark Webber in the second Red Bull.

Michael Schumacher's strong recent run continued with sixth place for Mercedes, followed by Adrian Sutil's Force India and the Saubers of Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi. The latter enlivened the evening with a wild misjudging of the Turn 10 chicane that resulted in the Sauber flying through the air over the middle kerb.

A tough night for Toro Rosso saw Jaime Alguersuari sidelined in the garage with a mechanical issue after 14 laps, though his time before then was still good enough for 11th, and Sebastien Buemi derange his suspension when he made firm contact with the wall at the penultimate corner.

Schumacher also hit the barriers, in his case at Turn 3, as he almost spun the Mercedes on an early run. But the wall nudged the car back onto the correct line and Schumacher continued without damage.

Paul di Resta spent most of the session in the pits while Force India attended to a time-consuming issue on his car. He got back out with a few minutes to go, and was able to lift himself from 17th to 13th.

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m46.374s 33
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m46.575s + 0.201 28
3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m47.115s + 0.741 22
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m47.120s + 0.746 23
5. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m47.265s + 0.891 28

6. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m48.418s + 2.044 27
7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m48.866s + 2.492 32
8. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m49.578s + 3.204 27
9. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m49.730s + 3.356 29
10. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m49.751s + 3.377 10
11. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m49.792s + 3.418 14
12. Bruno Senna Renault 1m50.241s + 3.867 31
13. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m50.345s + 3.971 8
14. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m50.399s + 4.025 29
15. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m50.790s + 4.416 28
16. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m50.897s + 4.523 24
17. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m50.937s + 4.563 30
18. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m51.950s + 5.576 26
19. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m52.257s + 5.883 15
20. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m52.489s + 6.115 25
21. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m53.579s + 7.205 25
22. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m54.649s + 8.275 25
23. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1m54.754s + 8.380 29
24. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m55.198s + 8.824 26

All Timing Unofficial

Poor Webbo, totally forgotten how to race ....a pity .......

Damn , dat Alonso is fast in that donkey kart....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-01-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I think you meant Michelins .
He wouldn't know the difference . and they were custom Ferrari Bridgestones ...
Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

If I may infuse some unbias opinion, thank you.

A wise man once said to me, "A good driver makes a bad car look good". This was certainly true when Alonso didn't have a good Renault underneath him and it's true today as his Ferrari is the 5th best car on grid behind BOTH RB and BOTH MACS.

We might not see Vettel drive the 2nd or 3rd best car on the grid for a year or two, but it will happen as no one is on top for long and only then will we see brilliance or failure.

Also note that during the Ferrari/Schumacher domiance of a few years ago, Michael was very impressive in 2005 getting way more points than any other Bridgestone runners in the field. Need I remind everyone that only 6 cars were on Renaults, all the rest on Bridgestones. That is a good driver that made a bad car look good.

We saw the same thing in 2009 when Lewis Hamilton had a dog. He too made a bad car look good and proved his metal.

Although I'm an Alonso supporter and am not yet convinced on Vettel, I would give my vote to Pete ASAP if it meant giving him the power to terminate Wayne's ability to be a turd in the punch bowl. Can't a current moderator get him under control? The tone of these threads borders on absurd when he posts his drivel.
In 2005 6 cars ran the Bridgestones: Ferrari, Jordan, and Minardi. The rest were on the Michelin's.

Remember Indy 2005?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Ask larry ....
Nice to see that when you need definative information, you are astute enough to come to me.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix