2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Vettel is Vettel just turned from a punk kid to a great driver in a little over a year. So fast, so smooth, confidence to spare along with winning margins.

But I can't determine who drove the better race, Button or Di Resta. Probably Di Resta becasue he's not supposed to be up there, but Button has certainly been more than impressive this year and now leads his favored teammate in points scored.

Give Alonso credit, he did the best he could do with the car given to him.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Massa: Hamilton incapable of using his brain

So incensed was Ferrari's Felipe Massa following his collision with Lewis Hamilton in today's Singapore Grand Prix that he accosted his McLaren-Mercedes rival post-race and accused him of being unable to 'use his mind'
Felipe Massa launched a scathing post-race attack on Lewis Hamilton following today's Singapore Grand Prix under the spotlights of the Marina Bay street circuit, accusing his rival of being 'unable to use his mind' and incapable of listening following their second coming-together of the F1 2011 campaign.

After losing out at the start when he was squeezed by Mark Webber, Hamilton initially dropped right the way down to eighth before setting about working his way back up the order. He had recovered to sixth and had Massa firmly in his sights when – approaching Turn Seven, where he had collided with Webber in Singapore last year – the McLaren-Mercedes star clipped the right-rear tyre of the Ferrari ahead of him, leaving Massa with a puncture and himself with a broken front wing. The Brazilian pulled no punches in a subsequent BBC interview.

“Again, as I said yesterday, he cannot use his mind, even in qualifying, so can you imagine in the race..?” railed the 2008 F1 World Championship runner-up, alluding to the Q3 incident when Hamilton had distracted him and caused him to abort his first run by attempting to aggressively muscle his way past on the 'out' lap. “Again, what he did could have caused a big accident, and he is paying for that. That's the problem – he doesn't understand, even when he's paying for it. I had a puncture in my tyre, and I paid a lot for that.

“So many times this year, he has had something with me. It's important that the FIA looks at him and penalises him, because when he gets in the car, he doesn't think. I talked to him, but he doesn't listen.”

Massa certainly had some choice words to say to his nemesis in the immediate aftermath of the grand prix, interrupting a television interview Hamilton was giving to confront the Briton and accost him by the shoulder with a sarcastic 'well done'. The Paulista has already criticised of Hamilton's driving this season, after the pair similarly came to grief in Monaco back in May.

“There's no point in me hiding the disappointment and anger I feel at the end of a race that could have delivered a very different result,” he added after ultimately taking the chequered flag just ninth. “The damage following the contact with Hamilton penalised me a lot, because I lost so much time in the early stages when the traffic was still very heavy. After the race, I tried to talk to him to clear the air but he walked away without even answering – so I told him what I thought when we found ourselves in the interview area.

“On top of that, the safety car added to my troubles; I had changed tyres a few laps earlier and fitted the super-softs, which definitely would not have got me to the end of the race, while other drivers were able to make the most of the race being neutralised to make their stop without losing too much time – so I wasn't very lucky with the strategy, either!

“I lost some time behind [Rubens] Barrichello and then I had to let [Sebastian] Vettel by, which meant I was a lap down on him and had lost any chance of finishing seventh, given that [Adrian] Sutil and [Nico] Rosberg in front of me were struggling with their tyres. I would really like to have a trouble-free race at some point, something that I have not experienced recently, if you look at Monza for example. Today, a top six finish was definitely within reach.”

“Felipe could have been up there, but his race was ruined by the puncture caused by Hamilton,” concurred Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali. “He is definitely having an unlucky time of it at the moment and yet again, as in Monza, he had to fight his way back up the order through no fault of his own.”
Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Hamilton not content to 'just exist' like Barrichello

For what seems like the umpteenth time this season, McLaren-Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton has opened his mouth and courted controversy, this time accusing Williams rival Rubens Barrichello of being 'content with just existing' in F1
Lewis Hamilton has issued another warning to his employer McLaren-Mercedes that should the team not pick up its form sharpish, his 'patience will be seriously tested' – reasoning that unlike Rubens Barrichello, he is far from 'content with being in F1 and just existing'.

For the third campaign in succession, 2008 F1 World Champion Hamilton has not genuinely had a shot at the drivers' crown in 2011, as McLaren has struggled to keep pace with Red Bull Racing and – on occasion – Ferrari. That prompted sustained criticism earlier this season, followed by speculation linking the British star to a future switch to the Milton Keynes-based squad himself – but of late, he seemed to have settled down at Woking again and set his sights on the long game. Until now.

“In terms of my career, I have at least another five to ten years,” he reflected, according to The Sun. “At some stage, if it continues the way this is going – which I don't think it will – then patience will be seriously tested.

“Seb [Vettel] will come back just as confident as he has been this year [in 2012], so we have to raise our game. We had a big technical review meeting recently, and I am pushing. No-one asked questions except for me. I was like, 'sorry, I have some questions...'

“There are some drivers that are content with being in F1 and just existing. Maybe they have families. Look at Rubens Barrichello – he seems content with where he is. Then there are people like me who only exist to be the best. If you aren't busy trying to be the best, then you're not busy doing anything.”

The undertone is clear – that unless McLaren are able to finally come out-of-the-blocks fighting right from the 'off' in 2012, then he might be 'off' himself – but the contrast with Barrichello is sure to stir up controversy.

The Brazilian might be one of the sport's journeymen, but he has also been a hugely successful one, as an eleven-time grand prix-winner and twice runner-up in the title standings. As he bids to extend his career into an incredible 20th season in 2012 by remaining with Williams, however, the 39-year-old was quick to play down the comment.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
For the third campaign in succession, 2008 F1 World Champion Hamilton has not genuinely had a shot at the drivers' crown in 2011, as McLaren has struggled to keep pace with Red Bull Racing and – on occasion – Ferrari. That prompted sustained criticism earlier this season, followed by speculation linking the British star to a future switch to the Milton Keynes-based squad himself – but of late, he seemed to have settled down at Woking again and set his sights on the long game. Until now.
Hamilton has always been a spoiled brat, and now he suffers from delusions of grandeur as well. If he thinks that Red Bull wants anything to do with him, he is out of his mind. They already have Vettel who is faster and more mature, and after 2012 they will probably be looking for the next phenom to partner with him. They certainly do not need a tempermental, slower and aging driver. Hamilton is also showing this year that except for brief instances of raw speed, he certainly does not hold up over the long stint as well as his less heralded teammate, which may prompt Woking to decide that he is expendable and pick up a rising star to partner with Button. Just a though.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I think Massa has it right. I fell into the Hamilton is the most talented trap too as I said above. But I forgot that he fails to " use his mind.. "

And as far as Hamilton telling it like it is,

Hamilton does not want to be remembered like Schumacher from another thread. Ok. No doubt he wil not be remembered as a 7 time World Champion.
So lets see - hmm - Schumacher races him tough. Maybe give him some opportunity to overcook it and find the wall.

Hamilton does not want to be like Barichello. Good. More folks to run him hard and keep him from running his mouth. Of course he wont. Thats been most of his runs this year.

Hamilton is lucky that he has the one WDC. And Rubens is a bit unlucky that he has no WDC. But Hamilton is no where at all in Ruebens league as far as smart goes.

Here is hoping he scrapes some walls so he can find out how truly popular is crap is not.!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

You are seeing the implosion of Lewis Hamilton. Is it any wonder that Ron Dennis has been so visible at so many races and wearing communication headphones and mic this year?

My guess is that he knows Hamilton is on the wrong path and is not the driver that he thought he would become.

Hamilton is lucky that he won that one title as it literally came down to a last corner pass on Glock to secure that title.

I find it ironic that Hamilton is saying that "If McLaren doesn't shape up, he's going to ship out" when the reality is that McLaren is looking to not resign Hamitlon after his contract expires at the end of 2012 and keeping Button instead.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
You are seeing the implosion of Lewis Hamilton. Is it any wonder that Ron Dennis has been so visible at so many races and wearing communication headphones and mic this year?

My guess is that he knows Hamilton is on the wrong path and is not the driver that he thought he would become.

Hamilton is lucky that he won that one title as it literally came down to a last corner pass on Glock to secure that title.

I find it ironic that Hamilton is saying that "If McLaren doesn't shape up, he's going to ship out" when the reality is that McLaren is looking to not resign Hamitlon after his contract expires at the end of 2012 and keeping Button instead.
I would think all of this is right. Hamilton may think he pushing McLaren but they have seen some real drivers in their time. Hamilton is in for a rude awakening. But he might not ever see it. He might be trying to convince his next employer now of how great he is so they can get him before he ships out. But they see it too I would suspect. In any event who cares.

But it does make me think back to Nigel Mansel. And wish for Hamilton to be in a close proximity race with Mansel.

I was for Senna. And of course there was Prost. But Mansel has to be one of the toughest, or the toughest F1 driver ever. So where is Mansel when his kind is needed to straighten out mess like this Hamilton brat ?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd like to see Hamilton out/Diresta in at McLaren.
In fact they should swap rides next year.
That would be a good combo- Button and PDiR.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

It really has been a rough ride for Lewis as of late, and he certainly has bought a good portion of it upon himself.

He has great talent and can be an exciting racer, but whilst I thought he was the next super-champion a couple of years back, I now wonder if he can win another one.

Last year Jenson was reasonably close to Lewis on aggregate, and I had thought that he was kind of "lucky" and expected that Hamilton would settle a little more this year and stamp his authority on McLaren. It has been much the opposite. Jenson just plugs inexorably along and is getting results in what is actually a good car (it has been the best race-day car on some occaisions this year IMO).

I am surprised to hear that Lewis is STILL saying things about his team as above (i.e. the comment about him being the only guy pushing with questions at the technical review).

Time will tell whether someone can get Lewis back on track... he does have the talent...

The quip about Barrichello was interesting as well. Webber recently made what I thought was a disparaging comment about Rubens too. It went something like (I am paraphrasing): "When I finally got in a good car, I was up against Seb, but when Jenson got in a good car, he was just up against Rubens".

I actually just think that Jenson's talent is so "quiet" that people continuously underestimate him... I certainly have been guilty of that!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dump the brat and replace with Paul Di Rista!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are like a pack of wolves! lol The only person imploding this weekend was Massa. I can only imagine what ya'll would be saying if it was Hamilton who came up and accosted Massa. "Dear, God! Ban him for life!!"

Well done to Button for the run of great results. Who here wants to put money on him still being ahead of Hamilton by the end of the season?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Its not the first and only time Hammys imploded. If he thinks he has it bad at McLaren he is indeed a spoilt brat....maybe try HRT ride for a season.

Paul and Button at McLaren would be a very interesing combo.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtC
You guys are like a pack of wolves! lol The only person imploding this weekend was Massa. I can only imagine what ya'll would be saying if it was Hamilton who came up and accosted Massa. "Dear, God! Ban him for life!!"

Well done to Button for the run of great results. Who here wants to put money on him still being ahead of Hamilton by the end of the season?
Boring race I thought, but how could it not be coming off Spa and Monza.

Don't agree with the above because LH and Massa are in two different stations in life. Massa was told by his team for the world to hear that he is not allowed to compete with his team's wins. Hamilton was McLaren's #1 driver and has squandered that priviledge and his natural talent with dumb decisions.

His threats to leave McLaren are becoming more and more idol as we go deeper into the season and the results he brings to the table at the end of a race weekend.

In the past, his boneheaded mistakes would result in a win the next weekend, but not anymore. He seems content to live the life of a rock star and show up when he wants, not do any sponsor contact time and blame everyone else for his subpar results.

In the end, he's turned into the kind of driver McLaren is not used to having as their #1 -- the quiet, corporate, button down shirt type.

I too was wondering why Ron Dennis was hanging around the garage and pit lane so much this year, especially since he's "retired" from the racing side of the operations to concentrate on the road car production, but I thought it may have been because he's not happy with how Whitmarsh was running things. The theory that it's to try and straighten out Hamilton before it's too late can certainly be another reason he's there too.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Here's the video and commentary on what happened from the BBC

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/14...rina-bay-2011/

and as Larry Herman like to say.......... the kiss of death.......

Whitmarsh: Hamilton still loved by McLaren
26 September 2011 McLaren Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh has defended the actions of Lewis Hamilton in the Singapore Grand Prix, stressing that – while the 2008 World Champion has suffered a poor season – he continues to receive much ‘love’ from McLaren ahead of a fresh campaign in 2012.

Following the night race in Marina Bay, Hamilton was approached during media interviews by Ferrari’s Felipe Massa, with whom he collided in the early stages and damaged both cars.

“The truth is, there are plenty of people who have spoken to me already who have a different view,” Whitmarsh is quoted as saying by Reuters in response to criticism of Hamilton. “I think you have to take some risk in overtaking and he is a driver who wants to overtake in a hurry. Now, after the event, he'll regret that and wish he'd backed out of it and waited for another three corners, or whatever.

“The fact is, it happened. It was right or wrong. After that he drove an immaculate race and he shouldn't have had to have the penalty or his front wing knocked off. He (also) shouldn't have lost places at the start. In sport and life things go well and go badly for you - I think this time it went badly.”

Hamilton and Massa also battled at Silverstone in JulyIn relation to questions about the relationship between Hamilton and Massa - the two drivers who fought for the World Championship in 2008 - Whitmarsh replied:

“They’ve been friends, they've been enemies. You know what it's like amongst drivers. Lewis is having plenty of love from the team. I have known him since he was 11 and I have seen him go through great moments of elation, achievement and areas of disappointment. Naturally, there is a big affinity between him and myself and various other members in this team. Undeniably, this year has not been a good one for Lewis Hamilton, but he's still got five races and he will regroup and try to win them.”
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contrast this to Schumacher's explanation of what happened to him stating "Basically he (Perez) just lifted off too early and I couldn't anticipate it. I was about to try and go on the inside as he was a lot slower than myself. Unfortunately, we had a misunderstanding. It was a shame." This is what a champion does, own up to his mistakes, not blame everyone else.

Quick Reply: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix