2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
How about DiResta?
Expect big things to come from Di Resta in the years to come if/when he lands a ride at a top team. Possibly the same with Perez. There are tons of talented drivers in F1 who could compete for wins if they only had a better car.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Expect big things to come from Di Resta in the years to come if/when he lands a ride at a top team. Possibly the same with Perez. There are tons of talented drivers in F1 who could compete for wins if they only had a better car.
Agreed.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats to Vettel and RBR, well deserved win for the team with the best preparation, best pit stops, best performance, and best driver. One more point and Vettle is WDC again. Unless the rules change radically in the off season, I pick RBR to repeat again next year.

Hamilton seems to be regressing in his skills rather than improving them.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Meh, for a street race that one wasn't too bad.

Drive of the race goes to Button. He never really had a shot at first, but he made second look easy.

Singapore GP - Sunday - Race Results

Singapore Grand Prix Results - 25 September 2011 - 61 Laps
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT LAPS TIME/RETIRE
1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 61 1h59m06.757
2. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 61 1.737
3. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 61 29.279
4. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari 61 55.449
5. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 61 1m07.766
6. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 6` 1m51.067

7. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes GP 60 1 Lap
8. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 60 1 Lap
9. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 60 1 Lap
10. Sergio Perez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 60 1 Lap
11. Pastor Moldonado Venezuela Williams-Cosworth 60 1 Lap
12. Sebastien Buemi Switzerland Toro Rosso-Ferrari 60 1 Lap
13. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Williams-Cosworth 60 1 Lap
14. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Sauber-Ferrari 59 2 Laps
15. Bruno Senna Brazil Renault 59 2 Laps
16. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Lotus-Renault 59 2 Laps
17. Vitaly Petrov Russia Renault 59 2 Laps
18. Jerome d'Ambrosio Belgium Virgin-Cosworth 59 2 Laps
19. Daniel Ricciardo Australia HRT-Cosworth 57 4 Laps
20. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy HRT-Cosworth 57 4 Laps
21. Jaime Alguersuari Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari 56 2 Laps

R Jarno Trulli Italy Lotus-Renault 47
R Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes GP 28 Accident
R Timo Glock Germany Virgin-Cosworth 9 Accident
FASTEST LAP:
Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 54 1:48.454
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Loved the pass Button put on Alonso!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And on the weekend when Alonso was mathematically eliminated from the 2011 WDC and lost 2nd place in the Driver's Championship, we bid a fond farewell to ... sorry I forgot his name already .....

With RBR locking up the WDC and most likely the WCC so early in the season and combined with the relative stability of next year's regulations, there appears to be no reason why they won't be successful next year as well.
I would imagine the focus has shifted to the RB8 as everyone else shifts their attention to their 2012 challengers.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:30 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
I would imagine the focus has shifted to the RB8 as everyone else shifts their attention to their 2012 challengers.
I am sure everyone will give it the "Good Old College Try" to prevent this (including Webber) but I think Vettel has an excellent shot of winning out the remaining races this season (India being a bit of a wild card) based on how well Vettel's did at the end of last season and how well he is doing this season. If he wins 4 of the 5 remaining races he ties Schumacher's 13 win record season in 2004. If Vettel takes all 5 races he sets a new record. Now Schumacher's record setting season did have one less race than the 2011 season, that must be remembered.

Of course I am getting ahead of myself here. Some Vettel haters (not here on RL, well not yet) are calling for Hamilton to crash into Vettel in the next 5 races to help Jenson win. I am sure McLaren, Hamilton and Button have more class than that and it's only the partisan Vettel haters who are calling for it.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 PM
JHowell37
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Hamilton seems to be regressing in his skills rather than improving them.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...y-circuit.html

I think his old man is on to something here. He's wrapping up his second season without a manager and you can see it taking its toll. Technically his current manager is Simon Fuller, but when you drive F1 in 2011 and your manager fails to show up for Monaco and Singapore, it becomes blatantly obvious that your manager is not acting your best interests. And in an activity where you're so heavily scrutinized by everyone, you need a manager holding your leash and ready to put on a muzzle at all times.

I won't say he's some kind of burgeoning legend, but I will admit that he's a good driver. If he doesn't want to go the route of Kimi Raikonnen(whose career was cut short because he wanted to behave like white eurotrash) he better look at his contract, find out if Fuller is in breach for not showing up to races, swallow his pride, and let his old man handle things until it's time for the DTM retirement pasture.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I haven't seen the race yet, but can already imagine my man didn't get away well....again...
Having said that, perhaps we are witnessing the rise of another champion. Vettel is still young. Sure he's in probably the best car for the last couple of years, but someone has to be. Congrats to him. Seems like a good guy when being interviewed as well.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Congrats, again, to Vettel. He gets those extra 10ths out of the car at every track and almost never puts a wheel wrong. Sign of a great driver.

Button is and has been the 2nd best driver on the grid almost all year. I really like his workman like approach to each race. He was, before this race which eliminated LH, the #2 driver at McL. That should change now and the change to #1 should be obvious. He has earned everything he has got this year. If RB and SV were not head and shoulders above the rest of the field, Button would be challenging for the WDC.

Tip of the hat to Paul di Resta. Give the man a good ride and watch what he does!

Too bad for MS. He had a good race going, in fact, his last few races have been really good. He made a mistake, racing incident, and paid the price.

Massa being lapped should be cause for termination of his contract, but they would have to do the same with FA. He was lapped by Vettel earlier in the year (without a punctured tire). Oh, wait. It was the team's fault, the tires fault, the wind tunnel's fault, the, the, the....................

Fernando.? Thinking about driver development or not. Look at Renault - last year with Robert Kubica they were really making progress. This year without him they have fallen off the cliff. He must really bring some big time help to the engineering staff. His crash was a big blow to that team.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Button is and has been the 2nd best driver on the grid almost all year. I really like his workman like approach to each race. He was, before this race which eliminated LH, the #2 driver at McL. That should change now and the change to #1 should be obvious. He has earned everything he has got this year. If RB and SV were not head and shoulders above the rest of the field, Button would be challenging for the WDC.
Button has had a great year and has done things this season that should forever kill the ridiculous notion that he was not fast and not a racer. Button is fast, and is a racer. But he knows where the limit is a rarely goes over it. Alonso and Vettel are also like this, though I think Button has a slight edge with his maturity. Hamilton is an awesome racer, but he is his own worst enemy. Far too many times he has exceeded his limit. I don't think what he did today to Massa was anything other than a slight lapse in judgement. It could happen to anyone. But all race long Hamilton was fast in the DRS zone and likely could have taken Massa there if he had only been more patient. That is the difference between Button and Hamilton IMHO.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Vettel goes from pole to finish without being headed including a restart. He had a 3 sec lead by the 2nd lap..........very very impressive. Essenly 2011 WDC and many more to come Id imagine.
Button ran another excellent calcualted race.......agrre with above comments re.#1 in team.....Hammy should do everything, within reason to help but IMHO the WDC is all but complete.

Webbo should spent the rest of the season and all off season learning how to start.....again, and again and again. Ferrari didnt have the car to be naymore competivie and Massa was lucky to survive Hammys move.
Hammy should be repremanded for being so impatient he risks live and limb of all to gain a position he would more easilly have gotten in a few more corners.

I watched the race live and screaming at the tv, although nothing new, does get unwanted attenion at 6:30am. as Schumis car went fully airborne before he goes straight into the barrier. Joint blame on his one I believe, Schumi to close and Perez lifted early under the pressure.

Good racing further back to when we got to see it........Paul should do well in years to come but Im slighlt biased
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Back a few pages I had picked them as

1. Vettel
2. Button
3. Hamilton
4. Webber
5. Alonso

I really thought it would close between Webo and Hammy, but I keep reading that Hammy is the best talent so I figured he was due. As I said then Button had the most to show and motivation and of course has been excellent as of late.

But Vettel. Precision at work. Made Button smile in the interview when Vettel said "huge lead" but you cant be perfectly composed all the time. Glad to see Webber do it though. The McClaren team system helps them here in the end of the season. But the RB team is just superior this year. It cant be helping Hammy that his manager is not there. Really? If I had known that then I would not pick him as P3.

There are a lot of good guys coming up so Hammy and Massa and maybe even ALonso better stick after it.

I want to see Schumacher get one more before he goes though. It would be fitting. And he certainly has helped bring the Merc into the picture IMO.

But a great F1 season.

And better next year with the US and Texas in the mix. Who knows the USA one might be the Championship race. Yeee-Haaaa!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2

Some Vettel haters (not here on RL, well not yet) are calling for Hamilton to crash into Vettel in the next 5 races to help Jenson win. I am sure McLaren, Hamilton and Button have more class than that and it's only the partisan Vettel haters who are calling for it.
I think not so as well. That would be cheap. And it mostly out of reach. But besides that some BIG penalties, fines, and guys all over losing their jobs whether they are drivers, managers, or execs, would be the order of the day. It aint a demolition derby out there after all - most of the time anyway. That is not even to mention the bloody gang fights down in the pits between the teams and drivers. It might make soccer matches fan fights seem mild.

And while I have not calculated the points yet I would think that it would only take one Webber into Button to secure the title should some ugliness develop.

While none of that is going to happen I bet Red Bull knows all the angles. Besides at this point unless you are going to run into Vettel at the safety car you might cant get within sight of the guy. And look what nearly happened by accident anyway between the Lotus and Vettel when coming out of the pits ! Yikes. I am sure RB about collectively crapped a goose that second when the Lotus started over.

Last edited by TexasRider; 09-25-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexasRider
And while I have not calculated the points yet I would think that it would only take one Webber into Button to secure the title should some ugliness develop.
Button is still mathematically alive by the thinnest possible margin you could imagine. Vettel only needs 1 point in the next 5 races to win the WDC while Button needs to win all 5 races and hope that Vettel does not score any points at all in these races. No when I talk about Hamilton taking Vettel out, it's nothing more than internet chatter from some Vettel haters (chatter on other sites, not here on RL, at least not yet).

Quick Reply: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix