Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-CT
Was watching the BBC feed when Webber complained about it, and Coulthard/Brundle immediately commented that the DRS was indeed working (could see the slot gap open on TV) but that it was probably not giving enough aero advantage.
Apart from the obvious British bias, the BBC guys make the Speed trio look like rank amateurs.

Unfortunately, Hobbs and Matchett are too far removed from modern F1 and really don't have the insight or access one would expect for average TV sports coverage...
Are those guys even there at the race? You see them in a little studio before the race with no physical evidence that they are actually there. Are they watching from a studio somewhere in the US and watching a live feed? I always wondered about that.

Will Buxton is obviously there, but there seems to be a bit of a delay when they go to and from him.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts
Default Oh Snap....

Button better than me, concedes Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton has given a hint as to the reason for his tempestuous 2011 F1 campaign by admitting he's being out-performed by his McLaren team-mate.

Lewis Hamilton underlined the frustrations he has suffered throughout the 2011 F1 season by admitting that McLaren team-mate Jenson Button has 'done a better job' than him all year.

Button currently leads Hamilton by three places and 17 points in the closely-fought battle to end the year as runner-up to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, and has finished ahead of his fellow Briton seven times in 14 races, including each of the last four rounds. While Hamilton held the upper-hand earlier in the season, where Button only recorded the better result twice prior to his victory in Canada, the tables have definitely turned as the 2008 world champion's campaign gets increasingly weighed down by controversy on and off the track.

Last Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix was marked by a clash with Felipe Massa that left the Briton facing a front wing change and ensuing penalty for causing the incident, while Massa suffered a puncture that ruined his race and left the Brazilian fuming in the press pit after the chequered flag. The incident was not the only one in which Hamilton has been involved in 2011, with others - including another with Massa in Monaco - accounting for his races in Monaco, Montreal and Spa-Francorchamps, while ill-advised comments have dogged him throughout the year, especially the notorious 'maybe it's because I'm black' jibe that followed his visit to the stewards in Monte Carlo.

Having shied away from confrontation after the race in Singapore, his latest quotes offer partial confirmation of suggestions that he is allowing himself to be riled by the better performances of others on track, notably Vettel - who is seen as F1's 'other' young charger - and Button, who Hamilton no doubt expected to be able to relegate to 'number two' status at McLaren.

Speaking after completing a demonstration run in front of enthralled Indian F1 fans in Bangalore ahead of next month's inaugural grand prix in the country, the Briton conceded that he needed to concentrate on raising his game.

"I think, for me now, [my focus] is just to find my ground and improve on the results that we've had in the last four races," he admitted to Reuters after coming home fifth under the lights of Marina Bay, "Jenson's done an incredible job - I feel he's done a better job all season really so, even if I did a better job in the next five races, it doesn't mean a lot to me. It's through a whole year."

Against general expectation, Button is now the only driver who can mathematically deny Vettel a second straight F1 crown, although the German only needs a single point to accomplish his goal, with five races remaining on the 2011 schedule. Instead, Button will focus on extending a run of four straight podium finishes, stretching back to his second victory of the year in Hungary, in order to become the first driver to beat Hamilton on equal terms since the McLaren protégé joined the Woking team in the top flight in 2007.

Heikki Kovalainen failed to match the younger Briton in two seasons as team-mates, while Hamilton had the upper hand on Button in their first year together in 2010, leaving Fernando Alonso - with whom Hamilton endured a notoriously prickly debut campaign - as the only driver to match him in championship terms. The pair ended the 2007 season tied on points, but saw Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen steal the title at the final round.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Are those guys even there at the race? You see them in a little studio before the race with no physical evidence that they are actually there. Are they watching from a studio somewhere in the US and watching a live feed? I always wondered about that.

Will Buxton is obviously there, but there seems to be a bit of a delay when they go to and from him.
You are correct, the SPEED guys minus Buxton, are in a studio in North Carolina. Every once in a while you'll see Machett with the Red Bull team doing a technical piece, but Machett lives in France and goes over to the England based teams to do such pieces, albeit, there has been less and less of that lately. Machett then flys back and forth from France to do each race in studio.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Canada must have done a lot for Button's confidence.
At this level, the mental edge has got to be a significant factor.

But think of Vettel's mindset: "I'm (arguably) the quickest drover in the quickest car with the best pit stops".
I'd wager even RB's catering is the best as well- although Ferrari's has got to be pretty good ( they probably fly over just made cannelloni along with carbon fibre car parts fresh from the autoclave - in order of importance).
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LH is faster than Button. Has been all year and will continue to be so. On paper LH is the top choice. However in practice Button has been more polished and be able to take advantage of mistakes by others and put them to good effect. LH has mixed that speed with poor decisions forcing him to either play catch-up or sit on the sidelines with a broken car. You would expect to see this sort of thin in a vetern race vs a new fresh rookie with potential. However LH is no rookie any more and needs to demonstrate not just flashes of amazing talent, but the mental toughness and smart decision making to make it last through the seasons. I think LH has been trying to be "faster" than Button on all year. Button realized he could not mactch LH on a pure pace. So he has choose to run the pace he can make the most of everything that comes his way. He has chose to not drive over his head trying to match LH's pace ( or Vettelf or that matter) and just run his own races. Be smart look after the tires and take advantage of anythng that comes your way. Smart racing.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Button better than me, concedes Hamilton

..................crash.net sensationalism and twisted BS...

Out of all the F1 sites, that one is the worst at twisting and manipulating the news. Although, Speed had a nice one the other day which you may like.

JB quote: "To be fair, I wasn't planning on it," he is quoted by the Telegraph. "We never talk away from the circuit.

"When he gets back home I am sure he will have people around him that will pick him up."

Equals headline: F1: Button Has No Plans To Console Under-Fire Hamilton

Apparently, there is now a rift between JB and LH.

F1: Button Has No Plans To Console Under-Fire Hamilton

Jenson Button has revealed he will not be talking to his teammate Lewis Hamilton about the 2008 World Champion's latest controversy.

It has been suggested that, without a conventional manager, Briton Hamilton is in need of guidance in the wake of his professional split with his father.

The 26-year-old is once again in the doldrums after Singapore and his spat with Felipe Massa, while the much more experienced Button in the sister McLaren is happily the only driver still mathematically in contention for Sebastian Vettel's title.

So will Button be phoning Hamilton this week?

"To be fair, I wasn't planning on it," he is quoted by the Telegraph. "We never talk away from the circuit.

"When he gets back home I am sure he will have people around him that will pick him up."

Button, 31, played down the depiction of the British media that — with Red Bull's Vettel surely headed for the title — the real point of interest now is which McLaren driver wins the internal team battle.

"For us the important thing is to work together until the end of the year. If people try to turn us against each other ...

"My aim is to get more points than anyone over the last nine races," admitted Button.

He answered, "I don't know," when asked if it is his increasingly comfortable position within F1 and McLaren that has rattled Hamilton.

"I am definitely driving well at the moment," said Button.

"When I talk to Lewis, I don't think he has changed the way he drives or anything."
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting quotes from F1.com interview with Bernie and Christian Horner
http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...1/9/12582.html

Starting with the Sir A.Wayne comment... I wish he were here to say "I told you so"...

Q: Fernando Alonso reportedly told Vettel recently to think about joining Ferrari. Should he really consider that?
BE: Well, seeing the situation as it is now it would be an appropriate means to slow him down…
CH: (laughs) …and my guess is that right now the bull on his car is more welcome than the prancing horse. And if I had a say I would suggest that he joins Ferrari shortly before his retirement. We are proud to have him in the team and hopefully we will have many, many more successful years ahead.

Nice compliment regarding Webber:

Q: Christian, in light of Sebastian’s dominance how difficult is it to motivate your second driver Mark Webber?
CH: Well, he’s still motivated enough to beat anybody except Sebastian.
BE: That Sebastian is better than Mark we know by now. But who is there who is better than Mark?
Q: From the current standings, you’d have to conclude Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso…
BE: There you have it. I think it is not right to belittle Mark. In context, driving with Sebastian, he hasn’t got the easiest of jobs, because in my view Sebastian is the best driver on the grid right now…
CH: And it seems all too convenient to underestimate Mark when comparing him against Seb. But that is definitely a huge mistake. Mark is undervalued right now.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KurtC
Out of all the F1 sites, that one is the worst at twisting and manipulating the news. Although, Speed had a nice one the other day which you may like.

JB quote: "To be fair, I wasn't planning on it," he is quoted by the Telegraph. "We never talk away from the circuit.

Equals headline: F1: Button Has No Plans To Console Under-Fire Hamilton

Apparently, there is now a rift between JB and LH.
PlanetF1 is universally known as the sensational site, but the story is on all sites.

Here is the one from f1racing.net as just one example:

Hamilton: Button has been stronger in 2011
28 September 2011Lewis Hamilton says team-mate Jenson Button has driven at a higher standard throughout the 2011 season, explaining that even if the final five races yield different outcomes it will not change his opinion on the matter. The 2008 Champion is currently fifth in the championship standings, 17 points behind second place man Button.

"Jenson's done an incredible job," Hamilton told Reuters. "I feel he's done a better job all season, really. So even if I did a better job in the next five races it doesn't mean a lot to me. I mean, it's through a whole year."

"I think for me now it's just to find my ground and improve on the results that we've had in the last four races."

Hamilton’s last podium visit came at the German Grand Prix in July, with the 26-year-old winning ahead of Ferrari rival Fernando Alonso and Red Bull’s Mark Webber.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing maturity for a "faux" WDC. Must be the car...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Amazing maturity for a "faux" WDC. Must be the car...
Didn't you get the memo. The car drives itself. Vettel is only along for the ride.

Oh and it's the only car on the grid that drives by itself.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Interesting quotes from F1.com interview with Bernie and Christian Horner
http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...1/9/12582.html

Starting with the Sir A.Wayne comment... I wish he were here to say "I told you so"...

Q: Fernando Alonso reportedly told Vettel recently to think about joining Ferrari. Should he really consider that?
BE: Well, seeing the situation as it is now it would be an appropriate means to slow him down…CH: (laughs) …and my guess is that right now the bull on his car is more welcome than the prancing horse. And if I had a say I would suggest that he joins Ferrari shortly before his retirement. We are proud to have him in the team and hopefully we will have many, many more successful years ahead.

Nice compliment regarding Webber:

Q: Christian, in light of Sebastian’s dominance how difficult is it to motivate your second driver Mark Webber?
CH: Well, he’s still motivated enough to beat anybody except Sebastian.
BE: That Sebastian is better than Mark we know by now. But who is there who is better than Mark?
Q: From the current standings, you’d have to conclude Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso…
BE: There you have it. I think it is not right to belittle Mark. In context, driving with Sebastian, he hasn’t got the easiest of jobs, because in my view Sebastian is the best driver on the grid right now…CH: And it seems all too convenient to underestimate Mark when comparing him against Seb. But that is definitely a huge mistake. Mark is undervalued right now.
Let me highlight the quotes that I believe bring you the most joy. They certainly put a smirk on my face.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Let Me Ask a Few Questions

Let me ask a few questions for those in the know.

First of all I am sure Alonso may have said some things to Vettel. How can you not. You live with and compete with these guys most of the year. But somehow I dont think Alonso has it in his mind for Vettel to just run over to Ferrari right this minute. "Hey join up with Ferrari. Take my job.. Take my salary. Take my car. " Do any of you see this?

Do all these F-1 "news" sites get their news from Wayne or something?

Do they also carry F1 Soap Operas like Days of our Racing Lives or something? How do they assume that just because you are WDC almost for a second time that you want to jump to Ferrari? I mean Ferrari is a nice ride, and it is the founder and all, but it has to be more than that. More than just money even - if there is such a thing. These guys have a team that they have some serious confidence in to keep there azz going clean at over 200mph. If the team does not do their part the driver could just end up dead or just broken to pieces.

Do these so called news sites just make this crap up? Is it a political thing? Or does F1 endorse this to keep up the "buzz." I can see them at the office "Today is the day to talk about some useless crap. Lets see what kind of stuff we can make up and put out there in the next 5 minutes. Does not have to be true or even beleiveable. Just throw anything out there for The Buzz."

Do all WDC champs go to Ferrari? Is it a rite of passge or something.

And while we are on it, why would Vettel want to go? Would Newey go? How much control would they have? Would Ferrari even want all of that, much less the contractual obligation to bankroll all of that costs and premiums. I am just saying. They have money but there is a limit here.

I have not seen a single F1 drivers contract. Do they just think he can up and leave? It aint like some zero headed reporters. How about his contract? It may have a buy out option and it may not. And if it does, how much is that? Think about it. It is a French company, with a German driver, probably domiciled in Greece, and paid in the Isle of Mann. This does not just get worked out in a day or two. Might take me a while with a couple of hundred million dollars on the line and a am a pretty good exec.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Let me highlight the quotes that I believe bring you the most joy. They certainly put a smirk on my face.
...but......but...the vig has been paid.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Do all WDC champs go to Ferrari? Is it a rite of passge or something.
Aryton Senna didn't.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

He might of had he lived (long enough). Sad.

Quick Reply: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix