2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think Rosberg and Button at McLaren would be a great combo team. Like Alonso, Rosberg is doing the best he can with a 4th rate car. He keeps it very professional especially with his much more visible teammate and does a workman like job week in and week out.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see Hamilton at RBR in 2013. They like a guy that is more out there in terms of image. Of course at that point, Vettel may already have 3 Championships in a row.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
It's true, his start wasn't "As Bad" as he normally starts, but it wasn't on par with the others which means a few spots lost and on a street course, it's hard to make that up.

On the US feed it said that his DRS wasn't working, not the KERS, which would make passing difficult on this course. In general Webber starts off slow (if you count quali and race starts, but gets stronger as the race goes on and finishes well.

My guess would have been that he would have at least gotten a race win or 2 by now, but it just hasn't materialized.
My info was that he could only use KERS every 2-3 laps as it wasn't regenerating properly. This then negated the ability of the DRS to work when the guy in front had 80hp more than him. Also he was battling some slow speed understeer in qualifying. Not sure how much of that he carried into the race.

Either way, I find the fact that Vettel just seems to be able to clear away from the pack in such a short time is amazing. Of course it would always be interesting to see what happened if drivers 1 & 2 swapped cars in any of the teams, but this will never happen so it's just internet dribble.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see Hamilton at RBR in 2013. They like a guy that is more out there in terms of image.
Why do you see that as a possibility? Image? The best image RBR can get is multiple WDCs, and having Hamilton on the team does not enhance that. The last thing that they need is someone taking points away from Vettel, and if he's not clearly and consistently faster than Vettel, why would they want him anyway? Better to develop a young driver as a potential successor to Vettel, though Vettel clearly has a long career in front of him.

Hamilton has it the best at MacLaren and he is too immature to realize it. He has #1 status, has a teammate that he gets along with, and is on one of the 3 best teams. The only place to go from here is down, and that is an ego trip that a number of previous WDCs have taken, to their chagrin.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
...Hamilton has it the best at MacLaren and he is too immature to realize it. He has #1 status, has a teammate that he gets along with, and is on one of the 3 best teams. The only place to go from here is down, and that is an ego trip that a number of previous WDCs have taken, to their chagrin.
+1 When he was negotiating with Hakkinen to be his manager, he should've don it immediately. With Hakkinen as his manager, I have no doubt there would be a lot less of this immature nonsense you now get from him.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Button has impressed me this year. Not with outright speed or flair, but consistency and smart racing. LH has more speed and might be better gamble to win a race, but Button is more composed and more consistant.

Button once his F1 days are over has the makings of a great Endurance driver. Good on tires, good decisions and consistant. I think McLaren are looking quite smart in picking him up.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I took that as "he was lifting earlier than I was". How could MS know what too early was for the Sauber? The second part "and I could not anticipate that" seemed to me to be an admittance of blame; then again maybe not.
Sounded like MS admitted he screwed up. The Sauber lifted too early and it caught him off guard. He was asked if he was going to talk to the steward about it and said no. It it was a racing deal. From my standpoint that is what it was too. MS tucked in close ready to pass. So close that he misjudged when the Sauber would back off. That left him no where to go. MS made the choice to run that close and he knew the lead car would back off somewhere. Just a few feet off. I have been on track racing and had guys brake sooner than I antcipate. Most of the time I try to leave room just in case, but racing at level of F1 at times you need to take risks. This is one that did not pan out for MS.

No need to penalize MS however since his penalty was a wrecked car.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ray S
Hamilton working all of those passes was a lot more than "setting a flyer". That was a lap after lap exhibition of racing skill.
Yes, but the fact that he had to make all those passes was a sign of trouble. You can be fast pass everyone 5 times, but if you spin or damage the car need to pit 5 times it does you no good. It shows a driver with talent and skill and a lack of judgetment.

BTW.. The Red Bulls have pace both in race any qualifying. They often do not set race fast lap because race fast laps are set near the end of the race on light fuel. By then Vettel is usally so far in front there is no need to run 100%. 95% will do just fine.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

You dont have to set the fastest laps when you are as far ahead as Vettel is. Let the other guy have to set 30 of them in a row to catch you. That is until the safety car came out. Aint that right Joe.

I think MS handled it right. But WHEW he was close and was choosing that right inside line there. If he had waited a corner or two I believe he could have passed easier. But hey he is the 7 time WDC, not me.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
You dont have to set the fastest laps when you are as far ahead as Vettel is. Let the other guy have to set 30 of them in a row to catch you. That is until the safety car came out. Aint that right Joe.

I think MS handled it right. But WHEW he was close and was choosing that right inside line there. If he had waited a corner or two I believe he could have passed easier. But hey he is the 7 time WDC, not me.
Don't sell yourself short- the lack of a WDC'ship never stopped anyone else here from offering an opinion.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

On the US feed it said that his DRS wasn't working, not the KERS, which would make passing difficult on this course. ....
Was watching the BBC feed when Webber complained about it, and Coulthard/Brundle immediately commented that the DRS was indeed working (could see the slot gap open on TV) but that it was probably not giving enough aero advantage.
Apart from the obvious British bias, the BBC guys make the Speed trio look like rank amateurs.

Unfortunately, Hobbs and Matchett are too far removed from modern F1 and really don't have the insight or access one would expect for average TV sports coverage...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are A Whine and Raj? Forget about Luis de Prat.

Come on guys, wipe your eyes and spread your infinite wisdom and complete F1 and FA knowledge with us. We are chomping at the bit to offer encouragement in these dark and difficult times.

Come back, Raj. Pete has not been offered Moderator statis.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Where are A Whine and Raj? Forget about Luis de Prat.

Come on guys, wipe your eyes and spread your infinite wisdom and complete F1 and FA knowledge with us. We are chomping at the bit to offer encouragement in these dark and difficult times.

Come back, Raj. Pete has not been offered Moderator statis.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-CT
Was watching the BBC feed when Webber complained about it, and Coulthard/Brundle immediately commented that the DRS was indeed working (could see the slot gap open on TV) but that it was probably not giving enough aero advantage.
Apart from the obvious British bias, the BBC guys make the Speed trio look like rank amateurs.

Unfortunately, Hobbs and Matchett are too far removed from modern F1 and really don't have the insight or access one would expect for average TV sports coverage...
+1
Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Yes, Last race I was in my top competitor (The guy I beat the day before on a last lap pass) beat me by setting track record on his first proper lap after the green. Then re-set track record on the next lap. That gave him a 2 car length gap. I maintained the gap from that point until I got held up in traffic and lost another second, but the damage was done at the start as I merely matched his pace from that point on. Very Vettel like. Come out crush the competition out of the box and then force them to play catch up. Of course in F1 on full tanks you may run much faster than your competitors for first 2-3 laps, but will not set a track record them. Still you can win a race that way as Vettel has shown.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,501 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Yes, Last race I was in my top competitor (The guy I beat the day before on a last lap pass) beat me by setting track record on his first proper lap after the green. Then re-set track record on the next lap. That gave him a 2 car length gap. I maintained the gap from that point until I got held up in traffic and lost another second, but the damage was done at the start as I merely matched his pace from that point on. Very Vettel like. Come out crush the competition out of the box and then force them to play catch up. Of course in F1 on full tanks you may run much faster than your competitors for first 2-3 laps, but will not set a track record them. Still you can win a race that way as Vettel has shown.
Easy Joe. Don't try to compare your real racing in a 944 to F1.... We've seen Wayne shoot me down for the exact same thing on multiple occasions nevermind he's still on a bus pass and never raced at all......

Quick Reply: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix