2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:10 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say that 1/3 of the way thru the 2012 season that McLaren will surpass Red Bull as the team which wins most often.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I love LH's "cut and thrust" type of racing, but I prefer the smoothness of Button's and Kubica's driving. They are also the antithesis of the F1 rockstar/baby and are free for the most part of the baggage that some of these guys come with. That must be very desirable to a team boss trying to keep team unified.

Undeniably fast, LH just has too many negative marks on the ledger that offset his talent. If I were McLaren I'd have a serious sitdown with the guy and discuss the way forward including divorce.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Undeniably fast, LH just has too many negative marks on the ledger that offset his talent. If I were McLaren I'd have a serious sitdown with the guy and discuss the way forward including divorce.
Very reasonable/logical way of doing things. The problem is that Hamilton thinks he has the leverage and is threatening to leave, when in reality, it's McLaren that may not want him anymore if this continues in 2012.

You can tell by the way Mac is speaking in the press and acting, that they don't want to cut ties with a guy they raised in their program and paid dividends in 2008, but the guy is his worse enemy and perhaps a new setting will do him and McLaren good.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
When you compare Vettel in his 2011 Red Bull to Button and Hamilton, yes many times Vettel has run away. But Webber while still good has not run away as many times from the McLarens. In fact in Signapore yesterday only once in the race was Webber looking like he was making up time on Button. All other times in the race Button in his McLaren was the one running away from the other Red Bull. Yes Red Bull is the best car, but I think McLaren is much closer to Red Bull than some want to admit.
Do you believe that Webber = Vettel?

If you do, please explain why is Vettel kicking his *** in the same car?

If you don't you just answered the question you pose above.

Last edited by Ray S; 09-26-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spalling
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yes it is an exhibition of skill, but just for that moment. Seemed to me that those skills were not in evidence last race at Monza where he was stuck behind Schumacher and Button easily passed them both. There is no disagreement that when Hamilton is "on" he is unbelievably fast. I said that he was inconsistent over the long term and I stand by that.
I'll agree to disagree. LH has had a run of bad luck this year, some of it was of his own making but I believe some was just that (bad luck). Furthermore, out of the 14 races so far LH and JB are tied for finishing ahead or each other (7 a piece) and tied for wins (2 each).
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Do you believe that Webber = Vettel?

If you do, please explaine why is Vettel kicking his *** in the same car?

If you don't you just answered the question you pose above.
He's way faster, just not as good at qualifying or starts.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
He's way faster, just not as good at qualifying or starts.
Made me laugh....
Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Damn it, can't resist. Having watched it and heard some more stuff....Webber's start wasn't actually that bad this time. Just had a heap of wheel spin on the dirty side. His KERS wasn't working properly again. He makes a great pass on Alonso. Then goes into pits and suddenly comes out behind Alonso. Probably a net loss of about 10 seconds. His pit time was 29.? compared to Vettels 23.9sec. I'm not pushing the conspiracy thing, but he sure does seem to have bad luck at times and basically gets no credit for being one of the best drivers in F1. Funny world....
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Damn it, can't resist. Having watched it and heard some more stuff....Webber's start wasn't actually that bad this time. Just had a heap of wheel spin on the dirty side. His KERS wasn't working properly again. He makes a great pass on Alonso. Then goes into pits and suddenly comes out behind Alonso. Probably a net loss of about 10 seconds. His pit time was 29.? compared to Vettels 23.9sec. I'm not pushing the conspiracy thing, but he sure does seem to have bad luck at times and basically gets no credit for being one of the best drivers in F1. Funny world....
It's true, his start wasn't "As Bad" as he normally starts, but it wasn't on par with the others which means a few spots lost and on a street course, it's hard to make that up.

On the US feed it said that his DRS wasn't working, not the KERS, which would make passing difficult on this course. In general Webber starts off slow (if you count quali and race starts, but gets stronger as the race goes on and finishes well.

My guess would have been that he would have at least gotten a race win or 2 by now, but it just hasn't materialized.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

is it safe to say that even with much higher track and ambient temperatures AND the super soft tires AND a track layout that is similar to Monaco ... all things that should have favored the F150 Italia yet didn't .... there are no more excuses for Ferrari?

Who will be fired in the off season? Will they hold onto 2nd place?

It should be an interesting 2012.
The team that designed the current McLaren is not designing the 2012 challenger (I believe McLaren still runs leapfrog design teams), so I am curious to see how much of a different tact they take to battle the RB8.

Not expecting much from Mercedes or Renault, so it looks like McLaren vs Red Bull next season.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hamilton

After Hamilton's antics this year I am now positive Alonso was not the "evil one" at McLaren. This jackass had plenty to do with Alonso choosing to depart. He is one of the fastest guys but if he can not take control of his attitude you will never get anywhere. Button looking mature and capable. Vettel continues to mature and become truly excellent. Alonso continues to be the man in my book and has stayed away from any bulls@@t.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
After Hamilton's antics this year I am now positive Alonso was not the "evil one" at McLaren. This jackass had plenty to do with Alonso choosing to depart. He is one of the fastest guys but if he can not take control of his attitude you will never get anywhere. Button looking mature and capable. Vettel continues to mature and become truly excellent. Alonso continues to be the man in my book and has stayed away from any bulls@@t.
So it was Hamilton who had ~ 3000 text messages to Pedro de la Rosa (McLaren test driver, tasked with testing all of the "Stepney upgrades" on the McLaren?

So, it was Hamilton who conceived the plan with Flavio and Pat to crash Piquet Jr's car via a concealed button on his McLaren steering wheel?

Hamilton is a high strung ***, no doubt.
Alonso is still acting as if his past never occurred.

But yes, I can't think of any scandal involving Alonso since Stepneygate and Crashgate, so he is maturing ... which in racer's terminology means he's getting old.
I'm with Pete, he's on the back 9 of his F1 career. Too much young talent (and $$) finding its way into F1 top teams in the future.
As attractive as Luca found Alonso and Santander, it's hard to compete with Slim money and Chavez money.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Where does The Hamilton think he is going anyway?

This aint the NFL with 32 teams looking for a new #1.

Hamilton started the year as the #1 driver on arguably the #2 team. No matter what a team in the top 3. He has bitched, moaned, and run his mouth while his teammate drives solidly into 2nd in the WDC, and Button should have been there for quite some time if you take away the 2 DNF in a row resulting in no points.

Does he think he is going to Ferrari. Probably not with Alonso there now. Does he think they will dump Alonso who not only is probably doing a good job, is respected, and who has matured. Sure when you have not won you might do things you would not do later. Crashgate and all that. And these might not be all Alonsos decisions anyway. Anyway Hamilton wont get Alonso money either. So that leaves him out there.

Ok does he think he is going to Red Bull. Probably not there either. Even if Webber retires, I think RB goes out and gets one of the new up and coming kids. It does not appear Lewis is there kind of driver. At least not now.

So now where. Lewis has already said he does not want to be like Shumacher. So again does he go to Mercedes? Would they want an azz like this after having Shumacher. Only unless he is going to win. And win a lot. Beings that is more unlikely for Hamilton without a fully developed car, I dont see that.

Does he take his driving skill and inability to close his mouth and be part of a team and try to go to a new startup team? How fast does that sink? Where does it come from?

The days of this crap, as in the NFL, are seen more in the rearview. Times are tougher. Budgets are down. New guys are waiting. You would think that Hamilton would see the reality or be given the message. I know for a fact that if I was in charge at McLaren, there would be a meeting at the end of the season. I would have a couple of releases laying right there. I would tell him you are free to go to free agency today. Just sign the releases. We are giving you what you need; you are NOT giving us what we want and need. If you stay you drive you azz off, you work your azz off, and you stop the talk immediately only sooner. And who knows maybe one of those other teams may pick you up or even us again. If not, you are toast.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Where does The Hamilton think he is going anyway?
NASCRASH maybe?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
NASCRASH maybe?

He is going to get on good with those old boys over there in NASCAR !

Quick Reply: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix